Does volunteering at another country count?

Started by Myze
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Myze

One day at a time...
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm thinking of going to Thailand or Italy to intern or volunteer at a physical therapist's office for a month or two, but would that count as part of the 100-200 hours required by schools? And has anyone else here volunteered/interned internationally before? How'd that turn out?
 
That's a good question...I have no idea. I'm inclined to say it won't count for official PT hours, because the PT system is so different over there. Plus, if I remember correctly, when you have your hours signed off on by the PT you observed, they have to enter their license number (which an international PT wouldn't have a US license). However, you could still list it as volunteer/work experience, just maybe not under observation.

To be sure though, email PTCAS customer service (or the specific program you're applying to) and ask.
 
Thanks for the quick reply 🙂

Yeah, either way I'll be volunteering in the states for a couple hundred hours. But hopefully doing it in another country will make me stand out while fulfilling my need to travel! Two birds with one stone and all that.