Step 2/Level 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sawbones94

Reaction score
OMS-3 here, passed COMLEX 1 first try but didn’t take Step 1 because of it being P/F. Figured I’d take Step 2 because PDs will likely put more emphasis on that now? Anyone out there doing something similar? Just want to know if this is a good idea or not. Looking into applying either Ortho or Anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hot take but if you're planning on applying ortho you should go back and take Step 1

I’m hoping that by applying to many “DO-friendly” programs, it will eliminate the need to take Step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesia and ortho are both competitive. Not having a step 1 is an easy way for programs to filter you out and not even look at your application. I'd seriously consider taking step 1 to maximize your chances. Limiting yourself to only DO "friendly" programs is still limiting yourself and the match is not a game where you want to do that.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m hoping that by applying to many “DO-friendly” programs, it will eliminate the need to take Step 1.
I don't know how much research you've done about matching ortho, so forgive me if I am being redundant. One of my best friends is preparing to apply ortho and his application includes being top 5% of our class, he has taken both step 1/2, >10 publications, and preparing to do multiple away's. AND HE'S CONCERNED ABOUT MATCHING (likely applying general surgery as a back up). This is just to put into perspective about who you're competing against. It is the definition of a "blood bath".

1650417974839.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
This was a bad decision. Both of those fields are competitive. Not specific to those fields, but in general as a DO you just can’t give them a reason to filter out your app.

Reactions: 2 users
Won’t matter. You need to take Step 1. Both of those specialties will expect it, even the DO ortho programs.

There are many DO friendly anesthesia programs but VERY few COMLEX friendly. Do not make the mistake of thinking the two are the same thing.

Not sure why people aren’t getting this, not having a P on Step 1 is the easiest filter a PD can employ.

Reactions: 6 users
Applying into a competitive speciality but choosing to shoot yourself in the foot, not advisable

A program director is going to look at your application and assume that you were either too lazy or too scared to take Step 1. Doesn't matter whether or not it is pass fail, it will not look good on you.

To anyone else reading this post, think of it this way: you need to pass Step 1 to keep your app alive for competitive fields. By not taking it, you technically didn’t fail the exam, but you failed to pass the exam by virtue of not taking it.

Go look at the NRMP charting outcomes and see how big of a factor “Any failed attempt on Step 1.” is for the competitive programs. Then ask yourself if it’s worth not checking that box of simply getting a P on Step 1.

Take Step 1 to avoiding limiting yourself from the start. It’s a disservice to yourself especially with the fields you are considering.

Not only that, it you gives practice with taking a USMLE exam so when you take Step 2, it is familiar.

Also STEP1 is just easier than STEP2, despite what people have traditionally said about having to study more for STEP1. Just schedule your STEP1 at the same time as STEP2 if you’re already set on taking STEP2

Hot take but if you're planning on applying ortho you should go back and take Step 1
At this point, why? You do well in step 2 and it pretty much implies you can get a pass on step 1

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, why? You do well in step 2 and it pretty much implies you can get a pass on step 1
Because there are already twice as many qualified candidates that will have crushed Step 2 while also having passed Step 1.

PDs have zero reason to give OP the benefit of the doubt, especially because not taking Step 1 in the first place was already an odd decision.

Because there are already twice as many qualified candidates that will have crushed Step 2 while also having passed Step 1.

PDs have zero reason to give OP the benefit of the doubt, especially because not taking Step 1 in the first place was already an odd decision.
It's a pass/no pass exam. This is not like the old days. I wouldn't care to see a pass/no pass score when there's a high step 2. I would only care if I saw a fail

It's a pass/no pass exam. This is not like the old days. I wouldn't care to see a pass/no pass score when there's a high step 2. I would only care if I saw a fail
Filtering out people who don’t have a P on the Step 1 exam is the easiest filter a PD can employ…

Personally, I will die on the hill that anyone who expects to be treated the same as our MD colleagues needs to pass the same exams. That includes a P/F Step 1

Reactions: 8 users
Filtering out people who don’t have a P on the Step 1 exam is the easiest filter a PD can employ…

Personally, I will die on the hill that anyone who expects to be treated the same as our MD colleagues needs to pass the same exams. That includes a P/F Step 1
i agree wholeheartedly. passing step 1 should be required to be a doctor

You may not care, but that's besides the objective truth that PDs at competitive programs and/or competitive fields do care. They already receive way more applications than they can reasonably review. You're right that it's not like the old days--you don't even need to get a high Step 1 score you literally just need to pass. There's only two reasons to not take the exam: you're not ready and believe there is a high chance of failure, or you plan on applying to the minority of fields/programs that don't particularly care. But for the vast majority that do care, not simply checking the box means your application won't be reviewed.

But we also know they don't judge you for not having step 3 when you apply to fellowship. The entire step 1 thing being pass/fail is completely new and is entirely your assumption that it will be used to filter out. For anyone that even wants to consider DO applicants to begin with, they will likely realize this. There's literally no benefit for any PD anymore to place the step 1 filter

We need to either get osteopathic schools to take step 1 in lieu of COMLEX or stop people from having to spend time and money on an extra exam. I know this is controversial for SDN, but I think it is a much better idea for DOs to remain having COMLEX than to adopt step. Just look at the scam that board certification is because there's no actual competition in the market

If only comlex didn't have typos, vague wording, poor question stems, repeated questions, and just overall an inferior test. DO's should adopt step if they want to be viewed similar as our MD counterparts.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
The entire step 1 thing being pass/fail is completely new and is entirely your assumption that it will be used to filter out. For anyone that even wants to consider DO applicants to begin with, they will likely realize this. There's literally no benefit for any PD anymore to place the step 1 filter
Competitive programs already had certain Step 1 score filters in place. Your argument is that they will drop this filter outright rather than adapting their filter to match the new score report they'll be receiving (P/F). Why? Previously they expected people to take the exam and do well. The expectation is still going to be that they have taken the exam and do well, i.e.: Pass. Like I said previously, they'll gladly reduce the number of applications they have to review. Why review the DO applicants without a Step 1 P and only a Step 2 score when there are 10 other DO applicants that will have a Step 1 P and good Step 2 Scores to make themselves comparable to their MD counterparts?
We need to either get osteopathic schools to take step 1 in lieu of COMLEX or stop people from having to spend time and money on an extra exam.
NBOME prints money by having a separate licensing series and having AOA schools require their students to pass COMLEX 1 and 2. If you got rid of COMLEX, you're getting rid of millions of dollars in revenue lining their pockets. They simply do not care how much money students spend. They literally just increased it another $20 to make it like $50 more expensive than Step 1 despite it being the inferior exam. They really do not care.
I know this is controversial for SDN, but I think it is a much better idea for DOs to remain having COMLEX than to adopt step. Just look at the scam that board certification is because there's no actual competition in the market
But why? Why would you postulate DO schools to stop requiring COMLEX and then say it's a better idea to have it? The separate but equal narrative doesn't work. Actual competition would look like AOA schools allowing students to choose which licensing pathway benchmarks to meet: USMLE or COMLEX. But that isn't their goal.

Make the DO degree an MD + OMM distinction requiring a shelf-style exam for OMM distinction and be done with it. Disband NBOME and the AOA and have schools apply for LCME accreditation. I don't even know if LCME would allow the side-quest of osteopathy at schools that would want to continue teaching it as an elective, but maybe they'd let it slide? Close the schools that can't meet those standards in a reasonable timeframe. I know it's a pipe dream, but it's the one I choose to believe will happen at some point in my lifetime.

Last edited:
The entire step 1 thing being pass/fail is completely new and is entirely your assumption that it will be used to filter out. For anyone that even wants to consider DO applicants to begin with, they will likely realize this. There's literally no benefit for any PD anymore to place the step 1 filter
My program does… and so does every other program where I have talked with other residents who know how their programs screen.
We need to either get osteopathic schools to take step 1 in lieu of COMLEX or stop people from having to spend time and money on an extra exam. I know this is controversial for SDN, but I think it is a much better idea for DOs to remain having COMLEX than to adopt step. Just look at the scam that board certification is because there's no actual competition in the market
Board certification is a completely separate issue. The COMLEX is not competition for the USMLE… despite what John Gimpel may claim.

DOs who do not take the same licensing exam as their MD counterparts simply can’t claim they are equivalent and have zero footing to stand on when they claim as such.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Competitive programs already had certain Step 1 score filters in place. Your argument is that they will drop this filter outright rather than adapting their filter to match the new score report they'll be receiving (P/F). Why? Previously they expected people to take the exam and do well. The expectation is still going to be that they have taken the exam and do well, i.e.: Pass. Like I said previously, they'll gladly reduce the number of applications they have to review. Why review the DO applicants without a Step 1 P and only a Step 2 score when there are 10 other DO applicants that will have a Step 1 P and good Step 2 Scores to make themselves comparable to their MD counterparts?

NBOME prints money by having a separate licensing series and having AOA schools require their students to pass COMLEX 1 and 2. If you got rid of COMLEX, you're getting rid of millions of dollars in revenue lining their pockets. They simply do not care how much money students spend. They literally just increased it another $20 to make it like $50 more expensive than Step 1 despite it being the inferior exam. They really do not care.

But why? Why would you postulate DO schools to stop requiring COMLEX and then say it's a better idea to have it? The separate but equal narrative doesn't work. Actual competition would look like AOA schools allowing students to choose which licensing pathway benchmarks to meet: USMLE or COMLEX. But that isn't their goal.

Make the DO degree an MD + OMM distinction requiring a shelf-style exam for OMM distinction and be done with it. Disband NBOME and the AOA and have schools apply for LCME accreditation. I don't even know if LCME would allow the side-quest of osteopathy at schools that would want to continue teaching it as an elective, but maybe they'd let it slide? Close the schools that can't meet those standards in a reasonable timeframe. I know it's a pipe dream, but it's the one I choose to believe will happen at some point in my lifetime.
Pass/Fail filter is useless as it doesn't help stratification. It only helps in knowing if you passed or had to retake the test. This is different than a scored exam that helps for stratification

Yes, I think a separate board certification is always good as there is competition. If you make NBME the only business in the game, they have every incentive to charge you more and demand more without giving anything back. For us DOs, the worst case scenario we can get NBOME if the NBME becomes a problem to us. If COMLEX is the necessary evil to have this, let it be. Besides, not everyone wants to take step. I know many people that want family med or internal medicine and don't care to pay for UWorld or pay extra

Yes, I think a separate board certification is always good as there is competition. If you make NBME the only business in the game, they have every incentive to charge you more and demand more without giving anything back. For us DOs, the worst case scenario we can get NBOME if the NBME becomes a problem to us. If COMLEX is the necessary evil to have this, let it be. Besides, not everyone wants to take step. I know many people that want family med or internal medicine and don't care to pay for UWorld or pay extra
You realize the NBOME is literally the only game in town for DOs right… they could charge us whatever they wanted because as it currently stands we legally need COMLEX to practice medicine.

There is no competition between the NBME and the NBOME.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't really get the argument that the ends justify the means for those going into primary care and therefore shouldn't take STEP 1 (or that the proliferation of DO schools with a mission to put docs into primary care shouldn't/"can't" be held to LCME standards). Do you think the patients in need of FM/IM primary care doctors should accept substandard physicians / do you think substandard physicians are entitled to serve underserved patients?

I believe that was @hellosnd ‘s point. No one should say “well I don’t want to prepare for STEP” and then support the notion that COMLEX is a comparable demonstration of competency.
I agree

I also think it is an big advantage to low tier DO students that they can be become full doctors by just passing the COMLEX series. A lot of people that decide to go the Caribbean have their journey ended by step. It is a much harder test to pass.

I agree

I also think it is an big advantage to low tier DO students that they can be become full doctors by just passing the COMLEX series. A lot of people that decide to go the Caribbean have their journey ended by step. It is a much harder test to pass.
Idk if that’s an advantage, more so a HUGE disservice producing less qualified physicians (argument can be have about performance on tests vs competence of physician)

Idk if that’s an advantage, more so a HUGE disservice producing less qualified physicians (argument can be have about performance on tests vs competence of physician)
Guess I should drop out of school now :(

You realize the NBOME is literally the only game in town for DOs right… they could charge us whatever they wanted because as it currently stands we legally need COMLEX to practice medicine.

There is no competition between the NBME and the NBOME.
You can get board certified through NBME or NBOME. You can take the steps and get licensed through them. You're mixing things and also not correct about some of them

Isn’t this implying COMLEX is easier….
It only states they are different tests. Easier is subjective. I did better on step as a percentile due to no OMM. UWorld is a tool designed for step instead of level. If i said MDs don't need to do comquest does it imply the step is easier?

You can get board certified through NBME or NBOME. You can take the steps and get licensed through them. You're mixing things and also not correct about some of them
I’m not mixing things. I know exactly how DOs can and can’t be boarded or licensed. The USMLE and COMLEX are licensing examinations and not actually boards, despite commonly being referred to as such. It’s a catch 22, DOs CAN be licensed through the USMLE in all bit 6 states, but they CANNOT graduate medical school without passing COMLEX

I also believe DOs should obtain the same board certification.

It only states they are different tests. Easier is subjective. I did better on step as a percentile due to no OMM. UWorld is a tool designed for step instead of level. If i said MDs don't need to do comquest does it imply the step is easier?
Lmfao… I tap out

• Haha
Pass/Fail filter is useless as it doesn't help stratification. It only helps in knowing if you passed or had to retake the test. This is different than a scored exam that helps for stratification

The filter is strictly to lower number of apps. My current program and TY program use it. Anything that gets your numbers down quickly and easily means you can spend time actually reviewing the apps you have left.

Yeah pretty sure we DOs NEED COMLEX to graduate……..

I don’t think the STEP or COMLEX is harder or easier than the other. However, the COMLEX is much more poorly worded and feels a lot like straight memorization. IMO It feels better to take STEP because it just reads better.

USMLE Score interpretation guidelines
Even comparing from one USMLE examines to another the standard error of estimation for STEP1 is 9 points.

This means that up to a 18 point difference between scores should statistically be considered equal.

Comparing between COMLEX and STEP will likely have even lower precision and likely will not be statistically significant even if it is trending in a certain direction

DOs are forced to take levels 1&2 to graduate. This is a coca requirement. We can only get a choice about level 3 vs step 3 and only if you take the first two steps. And a DO getting licensed through NBME may run into problems in like 7 states. So it’s not like NBME is really a competitor for NBOME o vice versa here.

Furthermore, it’s not like any MDs can get licensed through the NBOME. So that doesn’t influence NBMEs actions.

The only semblance of competition at the step/level 3 leg of the journey and it’s only potential is to exert pressure on the NBOME to lower their prices as DOs could just take step 3 (there was a lot of talk about this during Covid when the nbome was still trying to figure out a way to make us take level 2 PE). Despite this, every comlex is more expensive than every step. So I don’t think the argument for competition is really holding up.

Now at the residency/fellow/attending level of board certification, your argument may have more merit. For instance, a friend of mine is choosing the AOA pathway of certification in IM because she states they make the process much easier from an administrative side of things for both initial certification and recertification. (I don’t know the specifics of it as it’s not my field.).

TLDR; this argument doesn’t seem to have merit until at least intern year and even then it’s questionable. I don’t think it’s very good beyond that tbh. But since I’m not really at that level and you are, I’ll defer to your experience for now.

Even comparing from one USMLE examines to another the standard error of estimation for STEP1 is 9 points.

This means that up to a 18 point difference between scores should statistically be considered equal.

Comparing between COMLEX and STEP will likely have even lower precision and likely will not be statistically significant even if it is trending in a certain direction
No, that's not how you should interpret these statistics. That's not what an SEM/SEE means, nor how it should be interpreted. It's a common misconception. Even the USMLE's explanation is lacking.

The unfortunate truth is that every single study I have ever seen comparing USMLE and COMLEX show that the fail cutoff for COMLEX falls below that for USMLE. The lastest study is this one: A Concordance Study of COMLEX-USA and USMLE Scores . The paper itself didn't include the useful graph, but it's in the attached supplemental materials:

1676769122731.png

The colored lines are my additions - they are the failing score for COMLEX (400) and USMLE (196). Everyone in the upper right passes both exams. Everyone in the lower left fails both exams.

The problems are the other two quarters. Everyone in the upper left fails COMLEX but passes USMLE - but it appears there are only 3 people who do so. Everyone in the lower right passes COMLEX but fails the USMLE. That's a big swath of people. Including that very unfortunate soul whom appears to have gotten a 750+ on COMLEX yet manage to get a ~185 on USMLE.

This data doesn't tell us why this is happening. The exams test somewhat different material which DO schools may not cover as well. DO students may not be as good test takers. I don't know. But if we consider both the USMLE S1 and COMLEX L1 to be tests of minimum competency, for the same occupation, we have a problem since they don't match. What this data also doesn't tell us is which of these two minima are "right" - perhaps the USMLE cutoff is too high.

This is almost certainly statistically significant given the clustering of the data and the high n. They didn't calculate it in the paper, but it's obvious from looking at the data plots. If the exams were measuring the same thing, the regression line would go through the intersection of those two colored lines.

What is interesting is that the regression isn't straight. If you were to ignore the high and low ends and focus on COMLEX scores between 500-700, that regression line extended out would go right through the fail intersection. But the curve drops off, suggesting that those students who perform below average on the COMLEX, especially those below 450, do "worse than expected" on the USMLE.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
wow! That must suck for those three people in the upper left quadrant as that’ll mean you’re literally an exceptional individual for failing COMLEX and passing USMLE as a DO

But the curve drops off, suggesting that those students who perform below average on the COMLEX, especially those below 450, do "worse than expected" on the USMLE.
I think this is likely due from students taking STEP knowing they probably won't pass, but take to see if they can luck into a pass. There isn't really a penalty, because they can just not report it.

I think this is likely due from students taking STEP knowing they probably won't pass, but take to see if they can luck into a pass. There isn't really a penalty, because they can just not report it.
That's certainly a reasonable explanation. Perhaps they simply don't study very hard because they assume they will fail. Or, they are so burned out from COMLEX studying that they can't study effectively for USMLE (assuming that the content is different). But there are lots of possible explanations - they could ace the OMM part of COMLEX and thus pass, but then that won't help them on USMLE. Or, the way COMLEX and USMLE convert raw to scaled scores could be different - that's potentially a big problem because COMLEX (theoretically) defines the mean at 500, whereas USMLE (theoretically) states that scores show equivalent performance over time. Both of those positions are problematic - first the COMLEX average isn't 500, and second since the USMLE keeps raising the minimum pass it implies that they are "raising the bar" over time - for unclear reasons.

That's certainly a reasonable explanation. Perhaps they simply don't study very hard because they assume they will fail. Or, they are so burned out from COMLEX studying that they can't study effectively for USMLE (assuming that the content is different). But there are lots of possible explanations - they could ace the OMM part of COMLEX and thus pass, but then that won't help them on USMLE. Or, the way COMLEX and USMLE convert raw to scaled scores could be different - that's potentially a big problem because COMLEX (theoretically) defines the mean at 500, whereas USMLE (theoretically) states that scores show equivalent performance over time. Both of those positions are problematic - first the COMLEX average isn't 500, and second since the USMLE keeps raising the minimum pass it implies that they are "raising the bar" over time - for unclear reasons.
You can pretty easily brute force a comlex pass studying only for step. Omm is like 10-15% of the test so it can def boost you if you're weak, but I completely ignored it and easily passed both comlex and step. But yeah the opposite is absolutely true, it's free points on comlex that won't help you on step at all

You can pretty easily brute force a comlex pass studying only for step. Omm is like 10-15% of the test so it can def boost you if you're weak, but I completely ignored it and easily passed both comlex and step. But yeah the opposite is absolutely true, it's free points on comlex that won't help you on step at all
Word. I was always below 20-50th percentile on omm and was above 600 on every comlex. Omm just never clicked and it doesn’t have to to comfortably pass any comlex.

Word. I was always below 20-50th percentile on omm and was above 600 on every comlex. Omm just never clicked and it doesn’t have to to comfortably pass any comlex.
This is also why Im not sure everyone would like getting rid of COMLEX for STEP and a OMM comat-like test. I think its the worst of both worlds (from a just trying to pass perspective), just to go from taking 15 hours of boards to 10. Be careful what you wish for.

This is also why Im not sure everyone would like getting rid of COMLEX for STEP and a OMM comat-like test. I think its the worst of both worlds (from a just trying to pass perspective), just to go from taking 15 hours of boards to 10. Be careful what you wish for.
Yeah if comlex was an omm only test I would've failed lmao