Step 2/Level 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah if comlex was an omm only test I would've failed lmao
Like we would actually have to learn medicine and OMM, not just buzz words (COMLEX is a bad test)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is also why Im not sure everyone would like getting rid of COMLEX for STEP and a OMM comat-like test. I think its the worst of both worlds (from a just trying to pass perspective), just to go from taking 15 hours of boards to 10. Be careful what you wish for.
I have been saying this for 5+ years.

Reactions: 1 users
My 2c:

They should incorporate OMM as an optional feature in a reality with a combined medical licensure exam. For example, a board certification in neuromuscular medicine (NMM). It’s a new sub speciality that is a more or less purely OMM consult service. I have heard good things about it.

That way if you don’t want to practice OMM as a career you could “fail” the distinctive OMM portion but pass everything else.

And for the people that use it, they’ll have a way of showing the public their distinctive advantage, just like how board certification is supposed to work.

In reality, this would mean the elimination of the DO degree title. Therefore unlikely unless the AOA somehow gets some benefit.

An alternative approach would be awarding the title MD, DO upon passing a combined medical licensure exam and the OMM distinctive portion of the exam, and award only the MD title for those that choose to “fail” the distinctive portion.

I would venture a hypothesis that is much more amenable to the AOA. It really maximizes the distinctiveness by making it an additional step beyond MD degree.

But requires the LCME and the COCA to work together, which is just as unlikely. Preclinicals aren’t even the most challenging portion of allowing DO schools to award MD degrees, it’s the disjunction between medical schools and teaching hospitals that Dr Bryan Carmody brought up in his podcast about the vulnerabilities of DO schools. The unfortunate thing is that is boils down to money and not teaching ability or academic rigor. Hospitals have become obsessed with profit and efficiency, which does have some merits but it also makes healthcare training wildly expensive not only for patients but for medical students, which disproportionately impacts DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah if comlex was an omm only test I would've failed lmao
Preach
1676979807569.png

Passed with a 51x but still curious what my score would've been if I'd done average on OPP.

Reactions: 1 user
This rly spiraled from what the question was even asking. OP I would go back and take step 1 for a few reasons. 1) you will not have your step 2 score when applying for auditions as most take it at the end of 3rd year and you apply for auditions in the spring of 3rd year so all they will see is that you passed comlex and that’s it. There’s no way they know that you’re going to take step 2. 2) several surgery programs have mentioned using step 1 p/f as a screening tool due to the huge influx of applications that has gotten out of hand lately due to virtual interviews. Students haven’t had to travel for interviews so they had more money to spend on applications and flooding PDs with way too many applications. While there has been a lot of argument this isn’t true on this thread there has been a lot of talk at surgery conferences about it so yes i would do it. 3) tbh why not? It’s a nice prep for step 2 and if you were comfortably passing comlex with comsaes that give fake scores then you can pass step 1. 4)ortho is not super forgiving with applicants. It’s one of the most competitive specialties. If you show any sign of weakness in your app then there are 10 ppl who didn’t have that weakness. So don’t have this easy to fix weakness

This rly spiraled from what the question was even asking. OP I would go back and take step 1 for a few reasons. 1) you will not have your step 2 score when applying for auditions as most take it at the end of 3rd year and you apply for auditions in the spring of 3rd year so all they will see is that you passed comlex and that’s it. There’s no way they know that you’re going to take step 2. 2) several surgery programs have mentioned using step 1 p/f as a screening tool due to the huge influx of applications that has gotten out of hand lately due to virtual interviews. Students haven’t had to travel for interviews so they had more money to spend on applications and flooding PDs with way too many applications. While there has been a lot of argument this isn’t true on this thread there has been a lot of talk at surgery conferences about it so yes i would do it. 3) tbh why not? It’s a nice prep for step 2 and if you were comfortably passing comlex with comsaes that give fake scores then you can pass step 1. 4)ortho is not super forgiving with applicants. It’s one of the most competitive specialties. If you show any sign of weakness in your app then there are 10 ppl who didn’t have that weakness. So don’t have this easy to fix weakness
This is such truth. There was a thread recently on the MD side about someone changing from ortho because they had like one mediocre clinical grade and were no longer competitive, which is insane.