Dog During Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Erm....no offense to OP...but she likely would have done poorly on the MCAT with or without the dog. Prepping for the MCAT takes more than 6 days, so it's unlikely that she was adequately prepared up until the week of the MCAT and then all of a sudden got a dog and dropped 10 points.

@sylviaplathMD I had a dog while studying for the MCAT and got a second dog, a foster, 3 weeks before my MCAT. To be honest, having two dogs while working full time and trying to study was difficult, and my dogs were both adults. Regardless of the dog's age, it will take a couple of weeks for the dog to get used to your schedule and learn what behaviors you'll accept, but it will be even worse with a puppy. This adjustment period can be exhausting for you, so I'd recommend going through it when you don't have much else going on (2 or 3 months before starting med school, for example). I would also make sure you fully look into how much annual vaccines cost, food, daycare, dog sitting, walking, etc. My dog is much more expensive than I anticipated, but I wouldn't trade him for the world.
Thank you for your input! I'm hoping to start med school this next fall so I thought I'd get it now and have time to bond with him before starting. I work full time, volunteer occasionally but other than that, have plenty of time for a pup right now! What's extra helpful is the dog I'm going to have is actually my boyfriend's, mom's dog (she no longer can care for him), and is used to having me around. He's also well trained which is nice. My main concern is that I will be a neglectful dog parent while in class but he's a pug and just likes to lay there so I don't think he'll mind :) Gonna save up some extra pennies and make it work!

Thanks again for your insightful, on-topic and helpful advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I only have a cat myself, but I have multiple classmates with dogs or kids. You'll most likely need to find someone to help you walk your dog in the clinical years, but that can easily be a friend or a roommate. One problem that you should be aware of though is that, if you're hoping to attend a school in a high rent urban area, having a dog will limit your housing options. Dog friendly apartments tend to be more expensive. But not a problem if you're looking for places that are more rural.

Reactions: 1 users
You won't run into nearly as many problems as @Ochemphd has with renting, due to the breed (and size). Unfortunately, pit bulls are a bully breed (thought to be inherently aggressive) and most rental units won't allow them because of their insurers. You'll be fine with a pug though. My dog is a 60 lb lab/aussie mix and the only issue we've run into with renting is that some places don't allow dogs over 30 lbs.

Definitely keep in mind how restrictive it can be having to come home every 8 hours. You can't stay the night anywhere without making arrangements for your dog. The biggest issue I've had is that I really can't grab dinner or coffee with anyone after work because I need to get home to let my dog out.

@Ochemphd @Dormouse @rachiie01
Thanks for the help you guys!

I wish I could get a cat, I feel that'd be much easier. Dang allergies.

I think what I'll do is take in a foster dog right now and see how that goes under these normal circumstances and decided whether I, and the dog, would be able to make it work with a little more stressed lifestyle ( aka medical school).
I'll be waiting for Oct 15th for word from one of my top schools and if I'm lucky enough to be accepted, I'll do some thorough research on apartments, doggie daycare, dog walking services, etc, in that area.

I will definitely be keeping all of this advice in mind!

Thanks again!

You won't run into nearly as many problems as @Ochemphd has with renting, due to the breed (and size). Unfortunately, pit bulls are a bully breed (thought to be inherently aggressive) and most rental units won't allow them because of their insurers. You'll be fine with a pug though. My dog is a 60 lb lab/aussie mix and the only issue we've run into with renting is that some places don't allow dogs over 30 lbs.

That sucks because pitbulls aren't inherently aggressive. For sure some have been mistreated to be aggressive, but they're not inherently so. Studies have shown that aggression isn't predicted by breed. And of course this is anecdotal, but every single pitbull I have ever met was an absolute sweetheart.

That sucks because pitbulls aren't inherently aggressive. For sure some have been mistreated to be aggressive, but they're not inherently so. Studies have shown that aggression isn't predicted by breed. And of course this is anecdotal, but every single pitbull I have ever met was an absolute sweetheart.
I know. I absolutely love dogs and I hate that I can't foster bully breeds because I rent. The most aggressive dog I've ever met was a lab/pug mix, who I fostered. He was like 35 lbs and put my boyfriend in the ER and our dog in urgent care at the vet. He looked kind of like this:
b06e32d6b11d0cdd160281d98ad2e1e6.jpg

Little ****.

Oh, but he's so cute. Who's a good boy?!

So, all the pertinent points have been answered re dogs, but just wanted to share my favorite part of the day: coming home and snuggling (even before I have a chance to change out of scrubs)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444312057.254891.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444312088.508411.jpg

Yeah... She's an aggressive one...<3

Reactions: 6 users
I know. I absolutely love dogs and I hate that I can't foster bully breeds because I rent. The most aggressive dog I've ever met was a lab/pug mix, who I fostered. He was like 35 lbs and put my boyfriend in the ER and our dog in urgent care at the vet. He looked kind of like this:
b06e32d6b11d0cdd160281d98ad2e1e6.jpg

Little ****.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444312747.882398.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444312771.385711.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444312794.606244.jpg

Ok and for fun: L ('blue-nose' AmStaff Pit Bull) is super tolerant. That's her with Kitty and with 'boy L' who's about ten months old and spends the day torturing her (and me). He jumps on her while she naps, and sits on top of her in the car. Her expression is pretty priceless (and obviously I tell him to cut it out). Ok enough with the pics! <3 all my rescues!

Reactions: 3 users
This is the goofy guy that is being offered to me :)
2015-10-019518.27.59.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He's cute! How old? Is he a rescue or a purchase? Not gonna get on your case either way. What a handsome little boy!
Haha thanks! He's such a goofy nugget! He is 2 and I'm not completely sure but I think my boyfriend did purchase him :( I, however, am all for rescue dogs!

Haha thanks! He's such a goofy nugget! He is 2 and I'm not completely sure but I think my boyfriend did purchase him :( I, however, am all for rescue dogs!
Oh well! You taking him in prevents him from becoming another shelter dog. I'm all for it! Wouldn't get on your case either, but it's always great when people take in a dog instead of supporting a breeder to get their pick of the litter.

Yeah I definitely am a fan of rescues (actually do s bunch of work with them, like you rachiie), but taking in a pooch is "equivalent" to rescue in that you're not supporting a breeder and you're offering a home to one who might end up in the system. Also, two is s GREAT age. Energetic but potty trained. Very, very nice.

Also, he really is super cute.

We have a dog! Chihuahua/terrier mix. The cats keep him in line. He is absolutely the World's Stupidest Dog. We rescued him literally off the street and his saving grace ( I am NOT a dog person) is that he loves the kids and they love him, and I get my exercise by walking him in the evening.

@Goro don't you want a dog now?

Yeah, they're sweethearts, until they chew a child's face off.

http://dogs.petbreeds.com/stories/4046/dog-breeds-attack-harm-people#10-pit-bull

People come here for realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.

Andddd your post is at all helpful how? There seem to be two types of people on this site... Those who encourage and help each other, constructively, and those who seem to get pleasure out of being ass-hats under the guise of "honesty". You, sir, seem to be the latter. Yes, I've seen that she hasn't scored what she was hoping but that has nothing to do with this post. This is about the feasibility of having a dog while in medical school.

@Goro, you're not a dog person?? But dogs are the best.. I should have known before accepting school list help from you.. ;)

@Goro ... Just when I thought we had let that go. I welcome realistic advice! The statement I was referring to, however, wasn't advice. Moving on... Back to people posting cute pictures of their dogs. Please and thank you.

We have a dog! Chihuahua/terrier mix. The cats keep him in line. He is absolutely the World's Stupidest Dog. We rescued him literally off the street and his saving grace ( I am NOT a dog person) is that he loves the kids and they love him, and I get my exercise by walking him in the evening.

Yeah, they're sweethearts, until they chew a child's face off.

http://dogs.petbreeds.com/stories/4046/dog-breeds-attack-harm-people#10-pit-bull

Yeah, we have a really dumb dog too...ugh. Idiot. Oh well. The other dogs even treat him like the idiot he is. And our cats are definitely in charge of the dogs (actually it's hilarious because some of the dogs are afraid of the cats, and the cats totally torture the dogs by standing in the hallway and not letting the dog pass...and when the dog does pass, the cats swat the dog's rear. Not going to lie, it's endlessly amusing).

Pit Bulls themselves aren't inherently dangerous, but they are not a "beginner dog". They are incredibly willful, stubborn, athletic and strong. They require a very strong (psychologically, especially), knowledgeable, and consistent leader. They're kind of like "high risk children" where anything but boot-camp boundaries (and love, given at the right times) is a recipe for disaster. I have a full-breed AmStaff (a "show" pit bull that's not very athletic, and really only into eating and sleeping), and two American Pit Bull Terrier mixes. The APBTs require a crap-ton of exercise, structured training etc, but I can easily see how an inexperienced owner who lets the dog think it's in charge ends up creating an aggressive monster. My dogs know that I don't mess around, and they will sometimes flinch/cower when they know I'm being serious. I've never ever hit them, it's all psychological control-- they understand that I am their God, that I give, and if I want to, I destroy, and so they are very well-adjusted.

In all seriousness, thank God for psychological control. Pits can pull up to 30 times their weight, they are part Bull Dog "Gladiator" and terrier tenacity "never-let-go". Lola weighs 70lbs. I weigh 95lbs. Physically, she could maul me and I wouldn't stand a chance. But as a good owner, I've ensured that she views me (and all people and dogs) as supreme beings, and I keep all my pups in a very submissive mentality. Its doable, but you've got to know what you're doing.

Because there's no way you can control this:

Cat person through and through. Someone once pointed out that dogs are sycophants and that if they could talk, they'd say "You're the most wonderful person in the history of the Universe!"

You have to earn the love of a cat, and that says something! I try to remember that every time the black one in my avatar pic sits on my newspaper as I'm trying to read, with her behind pointed at me.

I'm quite partial to tabbies and black shorthairs. I feel sorry for the latter because they're harder to adopt out.

@Goro, you're not a dog person?? But dogs are the best.. I should have known before accepting school list help from you.. ;)

Cat person through and through. Someone once pointed out that dogs are sycophants and that if they could talk, they'd say "You're the most wonderful person in the history of the Universe!"

You have to earn the love of a cat, and that says something! I try to remember that every time the black one in my avatar pic sits on my newspaper as I'm trying to read, with her behind pointed at me.

I'm quite partial to tabbies and black shorthairs. I feel sorry for the latter because they're harder to adopt out.

That's why I like both. Sometimes you need both. (plus did you see my cute little kitty sitting on lola? Isn't he adorable?!)

This ends the cat vs. dog debate!

Attachments

• IMG_20150303_075913320_HDR__1444321001_72.207.36.247.jpg
    IMG_20150303_075913320_HDR__1444321001_72.207.36.247.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

:vomit:. Trying hard to keep this out of our friendship, Goro.
Dogs are the best. Cats see you as a resource provider, but dogs love you! Except little yappy dogs. The world could do without those.

And pits aren't aggressive. Their bites get reported more because their build allows their bites to do more damage, but labs actually bite more than any other breed, followed by german shepherds.

My dog can be aggressive. I think he was trained as a guard dog before we rescued him because he'll bite any adult male that approaches me, except my boyfriend. However, if my boyfriend hugs me, our dog will bark at him or jump up and bite his shirt and pull him away from me...no touching allowed! :rofl:

I shouldn't talk too much trash about cats though, this is my roommate's cat and she's very affectionate!

kitty.jpg

:vomit:. Trying hard to keep this out of our friendship, Goro.
Dogs are the best. Cats see you as a resource provider, but dogs love you! Except little yappy dogs. The world could do without those.

And pits aren't aggressive. Their bites get reported more because their build allows their bites to do more damage, but labs actually bite more than any other breed, followed by german shepherds.

My dog can be aggressive. I think he was trained as a guard dog before we rescued him because he'll bite any adult male that approaches me, except my boyfriend. However, if my boyfriend hugs me, our dog will bark at him or jump up and bite his shirt and pull him away from me...no touching allowed! :rofl:

You've got an aussie, right? They're notoriously territorial/protective. S/he's just doing her/his job! No touching!!

And yeah, we've got an 11lb chocolate toy poodle that I'm afraid of, because that little biotch will bite. And she doesn't really think you're the best, anyway. Man. That dog! Only down-side: She's a type 1 diabetic, and when she first got sick, yours truly had to care for her (and give her shots). I can honestly say I've never been afraid of a dog--until then. Because she meant business, and if she could rip me to shreds, she would have....

You've got an aussie, right? They're notoriously territorial/protective. S/he's just doing her/his job! No touching!!
Yes, he's aussie! It's hilarious though because my boyfriend and I adopted him together, he bonded to my boyfriend first, but somewhere along the line he decided he needed to "protect" me from him if we hug. Besides being protective, he's a velcro dog and all cuddles. He thinks he's a lap dog.

funny-cat-and-dog-facts2.jpg
My temperament is too much like a cats... moody... so we don't get along. They're awful cute to look at though.

Given the topic of this thread, i have this irresistible urge to angrily bark at her

Oh hush kitties are awesome too! But I do love my pups! My pooch is a better cuddler (the kitty hangs out and then runs off to his own private perch). Well, one of the pooches. The other one is annoying and not allowed on the furniture....

I guess we're on to the ever-popular cats vs dogs debate, but I did want to thank everybody for chiming in. I have one of each and I'm really struggling with whether I can realistically give a good life to my border collie while in medical school (especially third year.) I just don't want to separate her from the cat (the cat probably doesn't care tho.)

I think, given that I don't plan to bring an SO with me to medical school (fingers crossed), my best bet is to sign the lease on a multi-room place and curate roommates who dig the menagerie. Seems very doable, and I just wanted to say thanks to those who suggested ideas along those lines. It's a weight off my chest.

Frank and Beans say thanks too.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444335143.210267.jpg

I guess we're on to the ever-popular cats vs dogs debate, but I did want to thank everybody for chiming in. I have one of each and I'm really struggling with whether I can realistically give a good life to my border collie while in medical school (especially third year.) I just don't want to separate her from the cat (the cat probably doesn't care tho.)

I think, given that I don't plan to bring an SO with me to medical school (fingers crossed), my best bet is to sign the lease on a multi-room place and curate roommates who dig the menagerie. Seems very doable, and I just wanted to say thanks to those who suggested ideas along those lines. It's a weight off my chest.

Frank and Beans say thanks too.

View attachment 196830
keep them, and together! It poses some difficulty, but it's totally doable. You just have to plan it out right.

Frank and Beans?!?! My heart just melted!
:love:
No way you could separate those two!

Frank enjoyed being an only-cat, I think, but Beans is convinced that they're the best of friends. I really don't have the heart to break it to her.

Frank will survive.

The Blue Angels are in town and Lo looks distraught! Poor baby! I for one love hearing the buzz of those jets! Miss flying. Damn, this whole application thing sucks.