Dog during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsklaw83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a dog now at college w/me...was wondering if anyone else is thinking of having a pet, esp. a dog at medical school with them? Also, if any current students currently do and how that is working out?

Members don't see this ad.

I've wondered the same thing, since I have a German Shephard who has been working with me in Germany for the past two years. Being a breed of dog that needs a lot of exercise (emphasis on "a lot"!), I've decided to leave her with a friend who is a German Police officer. He will be able to give her the attention and space that would be impossible as a med student in a smaller home.

my mom had a german shepard in medical school.
it worked out fine for her, she even would commute via busses because she dint have a car then. but she lived further away so she could be in a more roomy doggie-friendly environment. she loved it and if i can get her to still shares fond stories of her beloved pet and medical school experience.

i think u haveto just balance it out if possible...

Members don't see this ad :)
This, of course, depends on how attached you've become. Dogs are members of your immediate family if you let yourself get that attached. If you can just as easily see life with or without the dog, go with eralza's advice and find a good home for your doggie!

If people can get married and raise children while in medical school, I am sure that it is possible to have a pet. It all depends on the person and how well you are able to balance everything. :D

Two of my student hosts had cats. I haven't encountered any dogs, though.

I have a kitty (refer to my Avatar) that I'll be bringing along :)

I know you asked about dogs, but kitties need attention too! Especially mine :rolleyes:

My boyfriend and I just got a 5 week old puppy a few months ago. I know that I'm not in med school yet, but he's MS1. Our puppy is a huge handful, but both of us think that she's worth it. Its nice to have a little friend that will love you unconditionally. :)

Seriously though, it can be really tough. You have to be prepared to be around a lot - it wouldn't be fair to always keep your dog locked up in a cage while you are gone studying or on rotation. Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages! But we have tons of fun with our little puppy. :D

i am bringing my boyfriend and our dog with me. he is whinier and needs more space than the 4 year old labrador retriever so i already know that bringing my boyfriend will necessitate having a big field nearby for him to play in. he lsometimes takes the dog with him but he likes to catch frisbees in his mouth on sunday afternoons so i promised him we would have room for him. no living in manhattan. i dont want to go anywhere without either of them. i will make it work. :love: :thumbup: and i am kidding about my boyfreind catching frisbees in his mouth...he's more of a tennis ball kind of guy.

I've had two dogs since they were puppies that fit in the palm of my hand. They've been with me through my first career, first marriage, furlough, and now acceptance to medical school. They're like my kids, and I'd no more give them away to go to medical school than I would give away my children if I had them.

In all honesty, I don't think it will be a problem. There are a couple of ways to handle it, even in a cold climate.

(1) plan your day so that you can get back home for lunch and let them out if need be.

(2) set up your backyard so that they can spend the day outdoors. This is possible even in cold climates with watering dishes with heat, reserviors, etc. You can get electric blankets for doghouses as well.

Check out the Drs. Foster & Smith catalog for all sorts of things dog related.

And kudos to you all for giving your furry family members good homes.

I have no anecdotal story relating to med school, but during undergrad, my friend had a boxer and brought the dog everywhere he went. It was a well behaved dog and didn't stir much attention. Some of the professors thought it was pleasant having a canine in their lecture.

If you want to try and sneak your dog around med school, try pretending that you're training it for the blind (of course, find one of those official dog jackets that say just that to make it more believable.) :)

I have a one year old black and white chihuahua. I plan on getting another dog if I get into my top choice. As long as they are trained, its okay to leave them at home by themselves for a few hours. Dogs are so pleasant to come home to. My dog jump up and down towards my face and tries to kiss me for like five minutes everytime I come home. Its such a great welcoming!

I'd considered getting a dog when I finally settle down somewhere for med school. But I prefer large dogs so I know there is no way that will happen. Like someone mentioned about their shepard, dogs like that need a lot of exercise and room to run around.

So I guess if toy dogs or dogs under 20lbs are your thing then go ahead. The best thing to do would be to get the dog and train it before starting school. Better yet, adopt an older dog who is fairly well behaved.

As for me, I live with a bunny who doesn't cause too much trouble. At least not when I'm watching.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll have a dog at medical school, assuming I don't eat it first (see avatar) :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

I'm an MS-1 and I know tons of people who have dogs. The only reason I don't have one myself is my roomates. Its not that big of a deal and come on if you can't find 20 minutes a day to walk a dog you are way to obssessed with school. Anyway I say if you love dogs go for it they cheer you up when you are stressed and help you to get exercise.

currently.. the most exciting things about medschool are that i get to have a kitten, and i get to have a double bed.

bsklaw83 said:
I have a dog now at college w/me...was wondering if anyone else is thinking of having a pet, esp. a dog at medical school with them? Also, if any current students currently do and how that is working out?

We have two large rottweilers (one is 80 lbs the other is 125 lbs). We will be buying a house (owner financed) so essentially I'm taking over mortgage payments. My significant other will be helping me with the dog-walking. the house has a large fenced-in yard. Luckily our payments will be around $600/a month, but I wouldn't abandon my dogs, even if it meant taking out high-interest loans-they are definitely high on the list of my priorities.

Great to hear other people's stories of wanting (or having) pets. I've also thought about a dog or cat during medical school... I've never had a pet before though so I'm wary of leaping into something that major. Maybe a cat then?

yposhelley said:
We have two large rottweilers (one is 80 lbs the other is 125 lbs). We will be buying a house (owner financed) so essentially I'm taking over mortgage payments. My significant other will be helping me with the dog-walking. the house has a large fenced-in yard. Luckily our payments will be around $600/a month, but I wouldn't abandon my dogs, even if it meant taking out high-interest loans-they are definitely high on the list of my priorities.

600 a month? Wow, that's really cheap. Where is this, if I may ask? I pay 850/month for a one room apt. And other people I know are paying 2000+ for mortgage payments a month in the Oakland area, not even in SF.

Uegis said:
600 a month? Wow, that's really cheap. Where is this, if I may ask? I pay 850/month for a one room apt. And other people I know are paying 2000+ for mortgage payments a month in the Oakland area, not even in SF.

Lansing, Michigan.

850/month is pretty reasonable for Cali, isn't it?

We potty trained my roomies pug to use a litter box since we were both gone all day....

Wouldn't it be hard to have a dog during the clinical years (years 3 and 4)? I guess many medical students have to work awkward hours and long shifts each week...maybe the doggie might feel lonely?

I'm a cat person, but I think the same applies.

Cat's Meow said:
Wouldn't it be hard to have a dog during the clinical years (years 3 and 4)? I guess many medical students have to work awkward hours and long shifts each week...maybe the doggie might feel lonely?

I'm a cat person, but I think the same applies.

For a dog its more crucial (especially in cold-weather climates) because there is no doggy-litter box in the bathroom.

I think the person who compared it to having kids is dead-on. Although it is easier, they demand less attention than kids. Either way you need to be either VERY dedicated, or have a partner with a less hectic schedule who can help you. Its all about priorities, if you really want it, you will find the time. I have managed to have my dog all through undergrad, and won't give up now. Luckily I have a helpful partner.

Don't get a dog...some guys at my school got a pet miniature pig. They're smart, clean, cute, and make a hilarious squealling sound when you pick them up (and feed them bacon). You can reenact classic scenes from movies like Deliverance (think, "Squeal like a pig, boy"!), and if you ever get hungry for pork and don't want to go to the store, you've got the perfect Jimmy Dean sausage waiting for you in the living room.

Dr. Donkey said:
Don't get a dog...some guys at my school got a pet miniature pig. They're smart, clean, cute, and make a hilarious squealling sound when you pick them up (and feed them bacon). You can reenact classic scenes from movies like Deliverance (think, "Squeal like a pig, boy"!), and if you ever get hungry for pork and don't want to go to the store, you've got the perfect Jimmy Dean sausage waiting for you in the living room.

In some countries "dog" is considered a delicacy. Be careful here. With a dog you are going to get a guardian, AND an emergency meal.

OK, now I feel sick. I'm sorry, Chelsea-girl.

thanks to everyone who responded...my dog will be 1 and a half when i start.....he's trained, sooooooo well behaved and really laid back and relaxed...i will have a car at school and i was thinking the most difficult thing will be to get to him during the daytime......in terms of my study habits, i prefer to study in my room or at home so that wont be an issue, so long as he has room in the house and it has a yard of some sort...i'm glad i am not crazy for thinking this is possible

My BF and I have an 11 month old pug dog, and I will be bringing both of them with me (assuming I am lucky enough to get in this year). I work full-time now and my partner is a student working part-time, so unfortunately our dog spends several hours alone each day during the week. He is used to it though, and now that he is housebroken it is not a big deal. I think as long as your dog is well trianed and not neurotic, it shouldn't be a problem; as others have said, having a partner around (or willing roomates) is a big help. Good luck to you! Here is a pic of Grimly, how could I leave him behind? :D

Attachments

• grim camp (2).jpg
    grim camp (2).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 79
do you crate him while you are gone? he's really cute. yea im assuming that they adjust pretty well to their owner, that's what ive heard

Mistress S said:
My BF and I have an 11 month old pug dog, and I will be bringing both of them with me (assuming I am lucky enough to get in this year). I work full-time now and my partner is a student working part-time, so unfortunately our dog spends several hours alone each day during the week. He is used to it though, and now that he is housebroken it is not a big deal. I think as long as your dog is well trianed and not neurotic, it shouldn't be a problem; as others have said, having a partner around (or willing roomates) is a big help. Good luck to you! Here is a pic of Grimly, how could I leave him behind? :D

Mistress S said:
My BF and I have an 11 month old pug dog

What an adorable dog!!! Too cute! I have a 3.5 month old beagle and we're already considering getting another puppy (even though they can be little terrors sometimes)!

bsklaw83 said:
do you crate him while you are gone? he's really cute. yea im assuming that they adjust pretty well to their owner, that's what ive heard

No, but we have baby gates up in our kitchen, and we keep him in there when we're gone and at night with his bed, water dish, and toys. He mainly seems to just sleep when we're gone. We started this system when we first got him so he's really comfortable with it by now. We also were careful to never make a big deal about leaving and always distract him with a treat or toy so he wasn't even paying attention when we walked out the door--now he doesn't bat an eye when we leave. I'm glad we did this, because my sister's pomeranian (which is a more high-strung breed than a pug anyway) always freaks out when she leaves and screams (literally), because she never made an effort to train him to be comfortable with it. Dogs are great, and they're excellent stress relievers too which will be especially important in medical school. :thumbup:

evajaclynn said:
What an adorable dog!!! Too cute! I have a 3.5 month old beagle and we're already considering getting another puppy (even though they can be little terrors sometimes)!

hey evan! - beagles are the best! i have a 9 year old beagle that i love to death! her name is sam, and as a puppy she was so playful and full of energy but now she is starting to slow down (and also growing a rather large belly).

have fun raising him/her--beagles are so funny :laugh:

phleebie said:
hey evan! - beagles are the best! i have a 9 year old beagle that i love to death! her name is sam, and as a puppy she was so playful and full of energy but now she is starting to slow down (and also growing a rather large belly).

have fun raising him/her--beagles are so funny :laugh:

Maybe your beagle and my beagle can get together and hang out! :) Sam could be a 'grand-puppy' to Nala.

I'd totally recommend a cat!! I have a cute little kitten, MCAT, who's super entertaining and fun when I'm at home, and then sleeps all day when I'm not. MCAT never has to go outside, and he gets plenty of exercise running around my apt. after imaginary mice. Cats are so much less work than dogs, and they're just as good companions (IMO). Also, their purring is really, really good stress relief. ;)

UnskinnyBop said:
I'd totally recommend a cat!! I have a cute little kitten, MCAT, who's super entertaining and fun when I'm at home, and then sleeps all day when I'm not. MCAT never has to go outside, and he gets plenty of exercise running around my apt. after imaginary mice. Cats are so much less work than dogs, and they're just as good companions (IMO). Also, their purring is really, really good stress relief. ;)
Heeheee, your cat is named MCAT? That is tooo cute :thumbup:

I have a 2 year old maltese who will most definitely be staying with me when I start med school in the fall. She is crate trained very well, and is used to staying in it during the day time. At first I felt really guilty about it, but on days when I'm home all day unexpectedly, she still goes in the crate and lays down with the door open and sleeps all day long till about the time I normally get home. She also stays in it at night...goes in on her own after I walk her and it's getting late, don't have to tell her or anything. I highly recommend crate training. The first month was horrible, as she cried almost all night long. But after that, she's been wonderful, and never has any accidents. I think she likes having her own little safe place that she can go relax whenever she wants. It also makes it easier when I'm away for the weekend and I leave her with my parents or somebody. The crate goes with her, and she goes in and still has her safe familiar place to relax.
She is my greatest stress reliever and a wonderful "friend" to play with or cuddle with. I couldn't imagine not keeping her.

Beagles ARE funny and they can be little terrors as someone else mentioned. I have a 2 year old beagle mix. I think he has some terrier in him. He has waay too much energy and the day that he got hit by a car was one of the worst days of my life. Thankfully he is all better now...but still a nutso. How do you calm a crazy dog down... I still haven't figured it out. How do you put a picture on here. I want to post a pic of my poopy dog.

:)

cowgirl said:
Beagles ARE funny and they can be little terrors as someone else mentioned. I have a 2 year old beagle mix. I think he has some terrier in him. He has waay too much energy and the day that he got hit by a car was one of the worst days of my life. Thankfully he is all better now...but still a nutso. How do you calm a crazy dog down... I still haven't figured it out. How do you put a picture on here. I want to post a pic of my poopy dog.

:)

You're poopy dog? Ha ha!

When Nala goes crazy, I try give her something else to bite/take her for a walk/or stick her back in her cage for awhile. Last night, she just latched on to the bottom of my pants and wouldn't let go. So I just dragged her around the house like that.

If I get in somewhere and move out of this no-pets apartment, I will definitely adopt a nice little dog. I think the walks alone will be great stress relief.

i looove my dog (she is a 1.5 year old NYC mutt)!!! she is the best stress reliever in the world - i have had her throughout grad school, and she forces me to take breaks from studying and enjoy the outdoor air.

i highly recommend buying a Kong for your pup before med school - it keeps my doggy happily busy while i am gone... :love:

lulubean said:
i looove my dog (she is a 1.5 year old NYC mutt)!!! she is the best stress reliever in the world - i have had her throughout grad school, and she forces me to take breaks from studying and enjoy the outdoor air.

i highly recommend buying a Kong for your pup before med school - it keeps my doggy happily busy while i am gone... :love:

This may be a dumb question, but what's a Kong?

Kongs are durable rubber pet toys--the most popular is one that looks kind of a like an ice cream cone but hollow, so you can put treats inside it. They come in different sizes and are very hard to destroy. We use one for our puppy to put treats in before we leave, and it takes him a little while to get the food out so that keeps him occupied when we leave him alone.

Mistress S said:
Kongs are durable rubber pet toys--the most popular is one that looks kind of a like an ice cream cone but hollow, so you can put treats inside it. They come in different sizes and are very hard to destroy. We use one for our puppy to put treats in before we leave, and it takes him a little while to get the food out so that keeps him occupied when we leave him alone.

Thanks MistressS! I've seen those at PetSmart, but wasn't sure how useful they were. Sounds like the dogs love 'em. :thumbup:

evajaclynn said:
Maybe your beagle and my beagle can get together and hang out! :) Sam could be a 'grand-puppy' to Nala.

nice--sam could bake cookies for her and teach her how to play hearts :)

DGhiker said:
I have a kitty (refer to my Avatar) that I'll be bringing along :)

I know you asked about dogs, but kitties need attention too! Especially mine :rolleyes:

I have a kitty too! (refer to MY avatar!) and ill take her wherever i go...shes just too much fun! :p

I adopted a beagle during my second semester of my M1 year. Best decision I've made in med school. I got an adult beagle (she's somewhere between 4-6 years old) who was mostly housebroken and I'm soooooo much happier with her around. Med school was the first time I've ever been without a pet...even in college I had fish (and sometimes my roommate was more like a pet than a roommate) and I was miserable living without an animal. Yes, I have to make sure I'm home to walk the dog, feed the dog, play with the dog, etc., but it gives me something to focus on besides school. My grades have actually improved since I got her. I can't imagine going through med school now without Bella the beagle.

It's not a good idea for everyone (especially if you've never had a dog before), but it was a great thing for me. I'm lucky in that my parents want to take her for me next year when I'm doing surgery and other rotations that demand huge amounts of time...it's going to be hard to convince my dad to give her back when I'm done with the rotation, but I'll worry about that later. He's rather fond of my dog. :D

10606105406_0_ALB.jpg

Sure, you can get a dog in medical school, just sign up for the dog lab :eek: . Sorry, I'm pre-verted :smuggrin: .

I have two small dogs both under 2 years old and both under 20 lbs about 25 lbs combined for both.

They are a part of my family. My only famly to be exact and they go wherever I go. So when the time comes for me to go to Med school they'll be hopping behind.

i have a little shih tzu or lasso apso puppy (ok, not really a puppy anymore, she'll be 5 on the day i take the mcat!) and i would want to take her with me, but my mom won't let me, she's gotten rather fond of this little critter we found in a box on the street. but she's the greatest thing, a little 15 pound furball with a major attitude, she'll sleep wherever she wants and demands to be fed before anyone else, but i can't imagine life without my silly little dog. so even if my mom keeps her when i'm in med school, i'll probably adopt another puppy if i move into a dog friendly place.

If you want to get a dog in med school, don't start off with a puppy!! Try adopting an older dog from a local shelter!! Puppies pee and poop constantly, destroy things, need tons of attention and have to be let out in the middle of the night for the bathroom.

RunMimi said:
I see your point. But I've had pugs all my life and if I'm going to have this animal for ~10 years I really want it to be a pug. Rescue pugs are hard to come by.

If you're looking for one, there's an organization in So. California that rescues pugs and finds homes for them. Last time I went to Petco, there were like 20 pugs in cages outside waiting for their dream families to come by. I see you're in North Carolina.... that's far away, but if you're looking for a pal for life it might be worth checking out. You might also get one that's past the puppy stage. Although it's a great time, also seems like 5 times the work of having an older dog.