Dog in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemolaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a time constraint is having a dog in dental school? Especially if you live in an apartment? I would appreciate both views, but the view of a current dental student dog owner would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're living with family, sure. You'll make time for the companion.

If you're living solo, I wouldn't do it. You'd be in school most of the day. I thought about buying another one since I'm leaving my current dog to my mom/grandma, but it just wouldn't be fair for him/her imo.

Cats are better pets than dogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My wife had a dog while in dental school (D2-4). Obviously it's not extremely convenient, but she would not have had it any other way. She had no trouble getting through dental school.

I was having this same dilemma, I'm thinking about buying another dog so they can keep each other company

I've also been wondering this! I have three dogs at home and I'm going to be SO sad when i leave them this summer. I have had dogs my entire life so I can't imagine living without one. My boyfriend will be moving to dental school with me so I would share the responsibility with him, but i am still wondering if i should do it or not. Maybe I will wait a few months into D1 and see how I feel about it then?

My sister is a D1 and she took her dog! she doesn't regret it one bit. I think it depends on the school's schedule your first two years. She attends to a PBL based school so she's not in lectures all day, so it's working out well. Goodluck!

Whatever school I get into I'm taking my dog and my cat. I cant live without my furry friends

I'll be starting at NYU this fall and my fiance and I will be taking our two dogs (one 60lbs - hers, and one 8lbs - mine). She'll have a normal job and they've been fine with both of us gone working the same shift full-time for the past year so I can't imagine it'll be any different. Plus we will not live anywhere without them.

I'll be starting at NYU this fall and my fiance and I will be taking our two dogs (one 60lbs - hers, and one 8lbs - mine). She'll have a normal job and they've been fine with both of us gone working the same shift full-time for the past year so I can't imagine it'll be any different. Plus we will not live anywhere without them.

I like how you're the one with the 8lb dog :)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah it makes sense. Bodybuilder...8lb Chihuahua (Lil Man).

I'm leaving my chihuahua at homeee :( I keep telling my boyfriend that he needs a chihuahua (because hes also big) and he refuses saying he needs a "real" dog. However...i WILL convince him!

Reactions: 1 user
I think anyone that makes the choice to have a dog during dental school is a person that must love dogs a lot. If you love your dog a lot, you will make sure it receives the love and attention it deserves. QED, I think you should be fine as long as you always have your dog's best at heart, and you don't keep a big dog in a small apartment.

My fiancé and I have 3 dogs and I'm in dental school now, she's a grad student so we are both busy. it gets a little hectic , but we have managed fine. I go to school in a bigger city too. They are good company and good stress relievers. They also make you get out of the house to walk them. If you don't mind studying at home and not staying at the library till late it works fine. you could also find a dog walker 1 or 2 times a week if you know your going to be gone on those days.

You see the dog in my avatar? My wife(gf at the time) got him during 2nd year. He was the best thing to have during dental school. We would walk him to parks in NYC, and it was one of the most relaxing things we could have done. He was always there for us during the hard times. Don't regret it at all. He's 5 years old now and has been through a lot with us.

Reactions: 2 users
I know tons of dental students that have dogs or pets. It would probably would be useful to have a therapy animal around anyway haha

I vote for Cats. Low maintenance for your high maintenance lifestyle in dental school. No accidents. Just change their food and water once a day. And they don't even care if you play with them or not.

I vote for Cats. Low maintenance for your high maintenance lifestyle in dental school. No accidents. Just change their food and water once a day. And they don't even care if you play with them or not.

Untrue. I have a cat and if I ignore him too long he will sit there and meow at me for attention. I usually wave around his feather on a stick toy when I take a Netflix break and that keeps him fairly amused.

Also, cats can be jerks sometimes. I live in a studio, and every once in a while my cat will decide he's bored at like 5 in the morning and wake me up to play with him. I wouldn't trade him for anything, but man is it annoying when he does that.

Also, cats can be jerks sometimes. I live in a studio, and every once in a while my cat will decide he's bored at like 5 in the morning and wake me up to play with him. I wouldn't trade him for anything, but man is it annoying when he does that.

Like Incisor posted above. Get 2 cats and he'll stop meowing when you're sleeping.

Oh he doesn't meow when I sleep. He pounces all over my bed to wake me up hahaha. I'm terrified that with two, I'd just have two of them jumping around on my bed at night.

2 cats is the way to go, have 2 cats right now and it's perfect. They have someone to play with for when you're busy and easy to take care of.