Dog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihateaxe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have a dog in dental school ? If you could go back adn do it again, would you have one? Before you decide this thread is stupid, please read and see if you can help me with my decision. It's a genuine Q.

I think there is a chance that I may not hear back from any schools this cycle ( had some interviews, late ones b/c i applied late.... no luck yet).

I have wnated to adopt, and there is this great pup I want to adopt. 2 years old, house trained, her family is giving her up for financial reasons. Tough economy. Anyhow, its the exact breed I want, great dog, NOT A PUPPY (which I don't think I could handle). I'm worried if I go through with the adoption, and I end up hearing back, would it have been a big mistake to adopt. This dog will either go into a shelter, maybe get adopted, or maybe be put down.

Its a boxer. She does well when everyone is away at work/school. Doesn't chew up the house, etc. Needs at least a daily exercise.

I know this sounds like a ridiculous thread, but its someting I am losing sleep over. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: There is a great chance that hwerever I go to school I would be the only caretaker. Only if I hear from one specific school will I have help taking care of the dog.

Edit: Iam not looking for someone to just say go ahead b/c its what I want to hear.. I realy do want honest opinions! How much do you study every day after class. how long is class. what you think. etc. I don't know anyone personally taht can relate so I have this conversation with myself in my head and am not sure waht the answer is.

Members don't see this ad.

My boyfriend and I rescued a pitbull mix while we were still in undergrad. He is now a first year dental student, and I will be starting in the fall (luckily, at the same school!) We love our dog like she's our baby and I think adopting her was the best decision I ever made.

Having another person to help take care of the dog is ideal, but with the right dog it's not necessary. We lucked out because ours has the bladder of a champ (she only needs to go out twice a day), is extremely trainable, and won't freak out if she goes awhile without taking a walk. My bf also likes to study at home a lot, so if you plan on living at the library you should think about if that's really fair to the dog. Also, we had minor difficulties finding a place to live with the dog since landlords love to hate on breeds like pitbulls, rottweilers, shepherds, maybe boxers too.

But ultimately, our dog has been an overwhelmingly positive addition to our household. I think taking care of her actually adds more structure to my life and I find myself making better use of my time.

Good luck with your decision and with your application process!

i agree with the above post. i have 3 dogs of my own. 1 of my bf and 2 of mine. i take them out 3 times a day. or even 2 and play with them when i have a chance. i would never give them up for anything.

i do like to study at home and i am usually home when i'm not at school. if you like to go out alot and study in the library; it won't be fair to the dog to be waiting for you all day and when you get home your exhausted to play with her.

hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
basically. its like taking care of a baby. they need you and depend on you for everything- like food and to go potty. just think about how you might have to hold your pee in for 12+ hours because you know its wrong to go in the house. hah i don't know thats how i feel my dogs think when i don't take them out and makes me feel guilty.

i have a dog and he is probably one of the best things that has happened to me

Do any of you have a dog in dental school ? If you could go back adn do it again, would you have one? Before you decide this thread is stupid, please read and see if you can help me with my decision. It's a genuine Q.

I think there is a chance that I may not hear back from any schools this cycle ( had some interviews, late ones b/c i applied late.... no luck yet).

I have wnated to adopt, and there is this great pup I want to adopt. 2 years old, house trained, her family is giving her up for financial reasons. Tough economy. Anyhow, its the exact breed I want, great dog, NOT A PUPPY (which I don't think I could handle). I'm worried if I go through with the adoption, and I end up hearing back, would it have been a big mistake to adopt. This dog will either go into a shelter, maybe get adopted, or maybe be put down.

Its a boxer. She does well when everyone is away at work/school. Doesn't chew up the house, etc. Needs at least a daily exercise.

I know this sounds like a ridiculous thread, but its someting I am losing sleep over. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: There is a great chance that hwerever I go to school I would be the only caretaker. Only if I hear from one specific school will I have help taking care of the dog.

Edit: Iam not looking for someone to just say go ahead b/c its what I want to hear.. I realy do want honest opinions! How much do you study every day after class. how long is class. what you think. etc. I don't know anyone personally taht can relate so I have this conversation with myself in my head and am not sure waht the answer is.

I did not get one because I knew I would be extremely busy the first two years of school. However, I am getting one this summer before third year when I have a more set schedule with patients and not always studying late at night, etc. With that being said, there are several people in my class who have managed just fine with a dog. I think the best thing to think about is where you like to study. If you can study at home and don't have to be at the library or at school, then you should be fine as far as making sure the dog gets time to go outside. Also, you might consider living close to campus so you can go home on your lunch hour and let the dog out. Just some things to think about. I know for me, I don't know what I would have done with a dog the first two years... especially during gross anatomy and being up at the lab all the time, but people do it.

I'm a first year and I adopted an 8 week old puppy the second week of class last semester. My fiance works so I went home everyday, except for a few rare occasions, during the hour lunch break to take him out and feed him since puppies should usually be fed 3 times a day. The only tough part was the crying at night and having to take him out like 2-3 times a night when we first got him. I'm not sure if it is rare or not but he got over that after a few nights. We kept him in a crate at night and during the day when we weren't home. The first few weeks we watched him like hawks and made sure he was outside to go often, and that if he chewed or picked anything up that wasn't his toy that we took it right away and showed him what was his. You will want to make sure you are willing to commit to training your dog and it will be worth it. My dog was quickly potty trained after just a few weeks, and then the week back from winter break he was only 6 months old we started leaving him out of the crate during the day and now I would rather not but sometimes I leave him the entire day (9 hours) and he doesn't pee inside and he has never chewed or messed anything up. We just put in a lot of effort at first and now we can enjoy all of the time at home with him as another family member and not have to just babysit him.

Also we bring him to puppy training classes at PetSmart....Last semester he did the beginner and hes finishing the intermediate next week. So that was just another fun thing to do one night a week and not think about school.

So yeah, if you know you can put in the effort for training, a dog can be someone thats nice to have around.

My boyfriend and I want to adopt a dog. We'll be moving in together in the next few months and I'll start dental school in the fall. Any advise on whether or not this dog will be a good one for first-time pet owners?

3yo, siberian husky, female
house trained

"She is wonderful in the house and will 'kennel' on command. However, she is house trained and non-destructive and can be left unattended with full run of the house and not get into any doggie mischief. She walks well on a leash. She tolerates being groomed and 'messed' with, but will give a warning growl if something is uncomfortable. She has learned that being agreeable and obedient get her what she wants. She would be a wonderful candidate for obedience class which would provide her opportunities to be with her new guardian, learn new things and be the wonderful dog she is inside."

What do you all think? We plan on keeping her as an inside dog. Walk her each morning before work/school. I get an hour lunch break and we live 5 mins away from school so I can stop by during lunch and let her out & feed her. My boyfriend likes to run after work, so he can take her for a run during the evenings. The neighbor rescued a dog last year, so if we need to be out of town or anything, she can watch our dog for us.

So good idea or no?

I'm sure having an older dog that is already trained would only make it easier. The one thing I wanted to say to consider is if you are not certain where you will be next year and if you will be renting, you have to remember not all apartments allow pets. I would search pet friendly apartments online for the areas around your potential schools and make sure you will have an option for a place that you would like and your dog can live too. Houses or smaller apartments may not be able to tell you but if you contact larger apartment complexes you can probably find out how often their pet frienly units open up or if the residents typically renew leases.

I'm sure it wont be too difficult to find a place but starting your first semester being upset that you you had to give away your dog wouldn't make things easier.

I'll be moving in with my boyfriend and he owns the condo so having pets is no problem. Anything else I need to look out for in an adult dog? So far we're asking about their temperament, whether or not they're housetrained/crate-trained, can they walk well on a leash. What other important factors do we need to consider when picking out a dog to adopt?

So as I self professed dog fanatic and current D1 at NYU, I'd love to put in my two cents.

1. to the person getting a husky as their first dog while in dental school, youre CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY. I've fostered over 3 dozen huskies and malamutes. They're my breed. Speaking in generalities, I would never recommend a young adult husky as a first time dog to someone who is entering grad or dental school. They are VERY RARELY the right breed for the first time dog owner. they are INSANELY smart and yet even more difficult to "train" in the traditional sense. I've had huskies get out of my class B wildlife enclosure rated backyard and get on the roof, get out of a locked car, open child proof fridges, etc etc. They just like to have too much fun.
That having been said, my current dog is part malamute. He's the exception to the rule in every respect (damn near perfect dog). But frankly, I got him over a summer when I knew I'd have time to train. And I trained the hell out of him. and he was 5 yrs old when I got him....and I still think most of his "easy dog" attributes are because of his non-malamute half. If you're hell bent on it, make sure the rescue youre adopting from has a trial period or "return to rescue" clause if things dont work out.

To the OP, you can absolutely do it. Although boxers are as high energy as huskies (but generally mentally less mature....and yet mentally less mischeivous too), it can certainly be done. I can't imagine daily life without my dog. He puts the bad days into perspective for me. He gets me out of the house no matter what the weather is like or how many tests I have. He keeps me from becoming a hermit. And frankly he's just a really good judge of character and I've met some great people through my dog. He's also a certified therapy dog and I get to take him into hospitals and have made some useful connections that way too.

As someone who used to volunteer with rescues, heres some things you need to be prepared to answer truthfully and well before they'll let you get a dog from them:
1. are you SURE you can keep the dog when you move? It can be difficult. I'm in NYC and malamutes are a "black list" breed. Nobody cares that my dog visits children in cancer wards every weekend....he's a malamute so he's considered aggressive by property managers and most landlords. Be prepared to have a harder time with the house hunt. Boxers are black likst by most insurance companies too.....and did you know that the average american can no more tell the difference between a poorly bred boxer vs. pit bull than they can point out Iraq vs Iran on a map? Its going to take a lot of dedication. You need to look for privately owned properties to rent.

2. Time. my dog sleeps probably 12 hours a day. He gets a couple miles run in the morning at 6am. he gets a dog park or off leash mountain hike at least 3-4 times a week at 7pm when I get home, otherwise its another run. He sleeps the whole time in between. When I was in an apartment, I got him a dog walker for lunch as well.
thats a headache in itself....regarding dog walkers I would say to hire the most professional company, even if they're the most expensive. you have enough to worry about and youre already in debt. whats a few bucks more?

call me crazy but I ended up buying a house in the suburbs and one of my number one reasons for doing so was to get a backyard and doggy door for my dog....well you know, and the equity for loans and such. If you can rent a home with a WELL FENCED (6ft plus non chain link) fence, then pay to have the existing door removed, replaced with a new door with doggy door, and then have the old door reinstalled when you move out.

I've been really lucky. my dog is extraordinarily well behaved. most of my dog related headaches have been guilt trips on my part (for not playing with him as much as I used to) and not actual things that the dog has done.....nontheless, those guilt trips have sometimes cut into my study habits as I tried to find solutions to them.

I'm in class from 8-5 every day. I commute from the suburbs and bc its nyc, that takes over an hour each way. so my dog is alone a LOT. but in the long run, I know I do a lot for him and the average american household isn't so great for most dogs. If you can provide ENOUGH care (not some idealized fantasy), then go for it.

when you get to clinic, your hours may be erratic. so you're right to get an adult and get him earilier rather than later. dogs are creatures of schedule and they need to be really secure in their place at home if you're going to break that schedule (during clinical years).

I could go on forever but I might bore you. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last minute things you should know about before ANYONE gets a dog, specially a boxer.

1. boxers are prone to BLOAT. very important and dangerous. look it up and plan accordingly.
2. boxers are prone to CANCER. dont let a vet write it off as a "fatty tumor" in a boxer. get a second opinion. get a needle aspiration. take a "before" picture and keep a close eye on it.
3. only a fool (specially one going into healthcare and science) would vaccinate their dogs every year. Its worthless and actually potentially quite dangerous. Look up "titers". There's lot of solid material out there. start with "Dr. Bob Rogers DVM" and some of his letters and then go deeper.
4. READ THE BACK OF THE DOG FOOD BAGS! the front is total crap. READ YOU LABELS. hell, even most of the labels are very cunningly manipulated and tricky. you'd be amazed the difference quality food can make in a dog. specially a cancer prone breed. dogfoodanalysis.com is a good place to start. or pick up a copy of the whole dog journal. Anything you see on TV is crap. Science Diet is crap. Purina, pedigree, all of them are total crap. you'd be better off feeding your dog mcdonalds. there are LOTS of good options out there. and its actually CHEAPER (per month....but not per bag) to feed good food.

Ok I'm really done now. email if you have questions or want me to expand on it.

My boyfriend and I want to adopt a dog. We'll be moving in together in the next few months and I'll start dental school in the fall. Any advise on whether or not this dog will be a good one for first-time pet owners?

3yo, siberian husky, female
house trained

"She is wonderful in the house and will 'kennel' on command. However, she is house trained and non-destructive and can be left unattended with full run of the house and not get into any doggie mischief. She walks well on a leash. She tolerates being groomed and 'messed' with, but will give a warning growl if something is uncomfortable. She has learned that being agreeable and obedient get her what she wants. She would be a wonderful candidate for obedience class which would provide her opportunities to be with her new guardian, learn new things and be the wonderful dog she is inside."

What do you all think? We plan on keeping her as an inside dog. Walk her each morning before work/school. I get an hour lunch break and we live 5 mins away from school so I can stop by during lunch and let her out & feed her. My boyfriend likes to run after work, so he can take her for a run during the evenings. The neighbor rescued a dog last year, so if we need to be out of town or anything, she can watch our dog for us.

So good idea or no?

Running huskies comfortably tends to be difficult. They're prone to jumping gaits (will go from a "walk" to a "jog" and then straight to a full out MUSH run and skip the "run" phase....). Just be careful that you understand the "husky lifestyle"....they dont like to do the same things for fun as most other "Dogs". You need to stay away from harnesses or you'll actually provoke the dog into running. The only harness that works is a front latch "easy walk" (by Premier) or comparable harness. Or a prong collar (much better than a "choke" collar). Martingale collars will be pretty much useless.

A 26 mile run is a life changing marathon for most humans. For a husky (in shape and professionally cared for), it is literally just a sprint. The most important thing for a husky is to keep them MENTALLY stimulated and exhausted. Games, kongs, obstacle courses, etc. Enough exercise is certainly important. but you need to realize that its only ever going to be "enough". The chances of you being able to run a young husky to exhaustion is pretty slim. Most likely, you'll warm them up over a couple miles, get home and be tired yourself, but the dog will just be getting ready to play.

Did you copy paste the email from her foster parent above? She sounds like she's been "broken" but not trained. As a husky person, I think she sounds like a great husky....but also keep in mind that is form a "husky perspective". a well behaved husky can still be a hell of a lot more difficult than a poorly trained golden retriever. the foster parents perspective can be tainted by their breed experience....I know mine often was with my foster dogs.

Also, you probably dont want to hear this, but WHO'S dog will this be? You're not married. And again, as a person involved in rescue, we would only adopt a dog to a MARRIED couple. Otherwise, the dog goes in either your name or his. certainly not both. Its not a comment on your relationship. Its a sheer matter of statistics and why we get most of our dogs in rescue. ONE of you needs to be on the dogs records, vet bills, etc so that there aren't any issues in the future.

Hope you have a healthy sense of humor =) If not, that husky will sure give you one!

What breeds are good for a Dstudent/first time owner?
Running huskies comfortably tends to be difficult. They're prone to jumping gaits (will go from a "walk" to a "jog" and then straight to a full out MUSH run and skip the "run" phase....). Just be careful that you understand the "husky lifestyle"....they dont like to do the same things for fun as most other "Dogs". You need to stay away from harnesses or you'll actually provoke the dog into running. The only harness that works is a front latch "easy walk" (by Premier) or comparable harness. Or a prong collar (much better than a "choke" collar). Martingale collars will be pretty much useless.

A 26 mile run is a life changing marathon for most humans. For a husky (in shape and professionally cared for), it is literally just a sprint. The most important thing for a husky is to keep them MENTALLY stimulated and exhausted. Games, kongs, obstacle courses, etc. Enough exercise is certainly important. but you need to realize that its only ever going to be "enough". The chances of you being able to run a young husky to exhaustion is pretty slim. Most likely, you'll warm them up over a couple miles, get home and be tired yourself, but the dog will just be getting ready to play.

Did you copy paste the email from her foster parent above? She sounds like she's been "broken" but not trained. As a husky person, I think she sounds like a great husky....but also keep in mind that is form a "husky perspective". a well behaved husky can still be a hell of a lot more difficult than a poorly trained golden retriever. the foster parents perspective can be tainted by their breed experience....I know mine often was with my foster dogs.

Also, you probably dont want to hear this, but WHO'S dog will this be? You're not married. And again, as a person involved in rescue, we would only adopt a dog to a MARRIED couple. Otherwise, the dog goes in either your name or his. certainly not both. Its not a comment on your relationship. Its a sheer matter of statistics and why we get most of our dogs in rescue. ONE of you needs to be on the dogs records, vet bills, etc so that there aren't any issues in the future.

Hope you have a healthy sense of humor =) If not, that husky will sure give you one!

probably a small independent dogs.. i know maltese need alot of attention. i don't know about s hitzus but i've heard that they like to sleep all day (like cats)

i really think you should try to get a dog that can do well in apartments because you won't have the time to take the dogs out everyday to release its energy. huskys have ALOT of energy and if you are home studying all day.. its not fair for the dog.

do a dog search and see if the specific breed matches your life. apartment lifestyle... etc.

as far as dog food goes... read the ingredients on the back of the package. dont' get food that are made from corn, barely as their first ingredient... these food is usually at walmart... food that has chicken, lamb,etc as their first ingredients are better for the dogs and you since they don't go crap alot. its alot more expensive.. like 3times the amount of how much dog chow will be but i believe its better for them

see that's where you're wrong.. small breeds usually need a lot of exercise!!
probably a small independent dogs.. i know maltese need alot of attention. i don't know about s hitzus but i've heard that they like to sleep all day (like cats)

i really think you should try to get a dog that can do well in apartments because you won't have the time to take the dogs out everyday to release its energy. huskys have ALOT of energy and if you are home studying all day.. its not fair for the dog.

do a dog search and see if the specific breed matches your life. apartment lifestyle... etc.

as far as dog food goes... read the ingredients on the back of the package. dont' get food that are made from corn, barely as their first ingredient... these food is usually at walmart... food that has chicken, lamb,etc as their first ingredients are better for the dogs and you since they don't go crap alot. its alot more expensive.. like 3times the amount of how much dog chow will be but i believe its better for them

see that's where you're wrong.. small breeds usually need a lot of exercise!!
Temperament

The Shih Tzu is a friendly lap dog that at one time bred to be a companion dog for Chinese royalty. Some say living in the imperial palace gave the Shih Tzu an arrogant quality, although they also display qualities of devotion and adaptability. They are not afraid to stand up for themselves. They tend to be sweet, playful, and trusting as well. It ranks 70th in Stanley Coren's The Intelligence of Dogs, considered one of the lowest degree of working/obedience intelligence due to being stubborn and resisting being told what to do. They don't need as much exercise as working dog breeds, but do suffer from the same difficulties most as small breed dogs due to having a smaller bladder.

Yorkie
Living Conditions

The Yorkie is a good dog for apartment life. They are very active indoors and will do okay without a yard. The Yorkie is sensitive to the cold and prefers warm climates.

I'm not trying to say that good apartment dogs are dogs that don't need to go out. i'm talking about those dogs that don't need an hour walk 2-3 times a day for them to release their energy. some dogs can do perfectly fine by burning off energy indoors.

another factor i would look into is- shedding or non shedding. if you really hate shedding.. husky, goldie, etc are terrible. breeds mixed with poodle, maltese, ****zu, bichon frise are some examples that don't shed.

here is a link to list of breeds that people think are good for apartments. gl:)

I will be getting a pomeranian. It is what I have grown up with. They require regular grooming, they shed, but they are smart, friendly, lap dogs. They can be noisy, but after you train them they are not too bad. They are also good little "watch dogs." They are small (5-7 lbs on average) so perfect for an apartment. They are really playful too, at least the ones I have had while growing up... great personalities.

Its not more expensive at all.

My dog started out on Science Diet when I first adopted him. Had to eat about 8 cups a day. Imagine all you ate was dollar menu McD cheeseburgers....you'd be eating a LOT of burgers to meet your daily nutrition requirements based on the one piece of lettuce and half a pickle they put on there!

Went through a bunch of better brands from Canidae to Evo. Only eats 2-3 cups a day.

Fed prey model raw while I could (before I moved to NYC). ate about 2-2.5% of his weight per day.

ALL of those cost me the same (give or take 5 bucks a month).

AAFCO requirements for labeling are really misleading as well. when a label says "chicken" or such, thats the chicken BEFORE its cooked. Chicken is almost 60% water by weight....so AFTER its cooked (the final product youre feeding your dog), chicken will actually be at the very bottom of the list in percent composition. chicken MEAL is the chicken AFTER its been cooked. You want the top ingredients to ideally include a "chicken" AND a "chicken meal".

The percentage protein label doesnt mean jack. Youll find that most "popular" tv brands like science diet add powders and infused carbs to their formulas to up the protein content to the minimum required levels instead of actually putting in more meat.

The terms "natural" and "organic" are a joke as far as AAFCO is concerned.

Stay away from:
wheat, barley, corn, soy, unnamed meats like "poultry" or "red meat", by products (beaks and feathers and such). No "wholesome whole brown wheats" with a pretty picture of kansas wheat fields on the bag are not good for your dog at all.

the only ok binders for kibble should be rice. even better if you can avoid that too. best formulas use potato and such for their starchy binders.

almost all the small breeds are actually really high energy. most were bred as terriers....a nightmare. I mean even Chi's were bred to herd cattle. There's a few exceptions like a Shih Tzu...but overall, large dogs like great danes and mastiffs and greyhounds are more "couch dogs" than a pom or a chi. you just need a bigger couch =)