Doing a SMP or Masters at a unknown school? Yay or nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wut?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it risky to do a SMP or Master's at a school that is not well known? I used the AAMC website to find postbacs/SMP's and I was wondering if it mattered if the school offering the program wasn't well known. All the schools that I've looked at state that they are academic record enhancement programs and have past students who were admitted to medical schools.
Thank you to all who reply!

Members don't see this ad.

What school? Why do you think it is not well known? Did those SMP graduates matriculate at that institution's medical school? Did they go elsewhere? What percentage of recent graduates from that SMP matriculated into a medical school over how many years? What kind of coursework would you be taking in that SMP?

Just a couple of things to think about while looking at SMP's. My two cents is if that program offers linkage or has very impressive success numbers, you should give it a shot. Such a program would give you the boost you need to demonstrate your competency to a medical school that your previous stats might otherwise belie. After all, if you're seriously considering the time and money investment the SMP route requires, you really want to go to medical school, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Always do a SMP at a reputable school with linkage ties to their med school. The master's degree is totally useless in the job market.

Reactions: 1 user