doing clerkship rotations in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonbeam

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there medical schools in the US, particularly in Illinois, who allow foreign students to take some clerkship rotations in their schools? I have a US permanent reisdent visa (maybe that would help) but I'm currenlty studying medicine in the Philippines. The university where I'm enrolled gives its students permission to take some of their clerkship rorations in foreign countries, and I'm hoping I could do mine in Illinois, where my family is. Thanks so much for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

Cook County will. They require 8 weeks of OB/gyn and 8 weeks of peds. They also require med, surg, and I think psych, but I'm not certain about the number of weeks.

You should check out www.aamc.org for a database of visiting electives. It is under students/ applicatant, then resources for med. students.

You can also search FREIDA for hospitals not affilitated with a medical school.

I must admit that I was a little frustrated in finding places in Chicago. You'd think with all those hospitals, they'd have some spots! Good luck with your search!

AAMC has a database?! And I did all that work for nothing...

I used SDN's database of schools, went to their websites to check for Visiting Student policies, and then contacted the schools individually if there was nothing specifically mentioned about foreign students doing rotations at their schools. I then compiled a list of "yes," "no," and "it depends" schools. The list is in MS Excel. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you as an attachment.

Today is Monday 7/2, and I'm about to go away for a couple of days, so I won't be back until Friday, 7/6. So if you request the info and I don't get back to you right away, that's why.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many, many schools which will allow foreign clerks to do a final year elective. You will need to complete an application, occassionally pay a fee, either have malpractice insurance offered by your school or the program where you want to do the elective, health insurance good in the US,etc. Most electives, besides the AAMC database are found on school's web sites.

Good luck.

you may want to look into Finch, i think they let you have rotations there.