SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

doing clerkship rotations in the US

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by moonbeam, Jul 2, 2001.

  1. moonbeam

    moonbeam Junior Member

    May 2, 2001
    Are there medical schools in the US, particularly in Illinois, who allow foreign students to take some clerkship rotations in their schools? I have a US permanent reisdent visa (maybe that would help) but I'm currenlty studying medicine in the Philippines. The university where I'm enrolled gives its students permission to take some of their clerkship rorations in foreign countries, and I'm hoping I could do mine in Illinois, where my family is. Thanks so much for any info.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Annette

    Annette gainfully employed Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    Aug 24, 1999
    The Land of Lincoln
    Cook County will. They require 8 weeks of OB/gyn and 8 weeks of peds. They also require med, surg, and I think psych, but I'm not certain about the number of weeks.

    You should check out for a database of visiting electives. It is under students/ applicatant, then resources for med. students.

    You can also search FREIDA for hospitals not affilitated with a medical school.

    I must admit that I was a little frustrated in finding places in Chicago. You'd think with all those hospitals, they'd have some spots! Good luck with your search!
  4. dwstranger

    dwstranger Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Feb 14, 2000
    Bethlehem, PA
    AAMC has a database?! And I did all that work for nothing...

    I used SDN's database of schools, went to their websites to check for Visiting Student policies, and then contacted the schools individually if there was nothing specifically mentioned about foreign students doing rotations at their schools. I then compiled a list of "yes," "no," and "it depends" schools. The list is in MS Excel. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you as an attachment.

    Today is Monday 7/2, and I'm about to go away for a couple of days, so I won't be back until Friday, 7/6. So if you request the info and I don't get back to you right away, that's why.
  5. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    There are many, many schools which will allow foreign clerks to do a final year elective. You will need to complete an application, occassionally pay a fee, either have malpractice insurance offered by your school or the program where you want to do the elective, health insurance good in the US,etc. Most electives, besides the AAMC database are found on school's web sites.

    Good luck.
  6. jue

    jue Junior Member 7+ Year Member

    Dec 23, 2001
    you may want to look into Finch, i think they let you have rotations there.

Share This Page