Doing Grad School First

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchool28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I was recently admitted into the University of Miami for their MPH program. At Miami, once you are admitted, they give you the choice to do either an MPH or an MSPH. I am wondering which one would be more beneficial for someone who wants to go to medical school. I will be applying to both MD and DO schools and would be equally happy with either Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference between Program A and Program B?

Either one will be fine I'm sure. All you really need to think about when picking your program is
1)which one is cheaper
2)which one is shorter
3)which one is easier
4)which one are you more interested in

I was able to find a one year masters program that was kind of expensive, but it really helped that it only took 1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
See which GPA needs more help (if it does), science or cumal. ? If its science, see which classes (assuming you get As) will help boost that cause....if its MPH do a track in Epi....all the courses count for epi....

See which GPA needs more help (if it does), science or cumal. ? If its science, see which classes (assuming you get As) will help boost that cause....if its MPH do a track in Epi....all the courses count for epi....

Science always, since your science GPA is factored into you cumulative.

Plus, there is a preference for science heavy MS degrees for MD schools (not sure on DO schools). I would lean toward the MS, but in the end it is the degree that makes you the most happy! If it is the non-science MPH, then take as much science courses as possible.

Agree with the above. Biostats courses also count towards your sGPA so try to take more than just the 101 courses there too. I did the MPH and wanted to concentrate in behavioral science so I just supplemented by taking a lot of epi and biostats electives. I only applied DO, but I think that regardless of the MPH/MSPH distinction the schools want to see that you 1) excelled in your coursework and 2) participated in research which hopefully culminates in a publication and/or thesis. When you get to school try to identify a professor or post-doc doing research in an area that interests you and offer to help out. This will almost certainly turn into a paid position eventually. Grad school is a great time to boost your resume and find a mentor who can write you a strong LOR.

Agree with the above. Biostats courses also count towards your sGPA so try to take more than just the 101 courses there too. I did the MPH and wanted to concentrate in behavioral science so I just supplemented by taking a lot of epi and biostats electives. I only applied DO, but I think that regardless of the MPH/MSPH distinction the schools want to see that you 1) excelled in your coursework and 2) participated in research which hopefully culminates in a publication and/or thesis. When you get to school try to identify a professor or post-doc doing research in an area that interests you and offer to help out. This will almost certainly turn into a paid position eventually. Grad school is a great time to boost your resume and find a mentor who can write you a strong LOR.

Maybe I am not understanding this, but wouldnt a biostat course NOT count in your sGPA for AACOMAS?

Maybe I am not understanding this, but wouldnt a biostat course NOT count in your sGPA for AACOMAS?

Yes you are right. It still counts for AMCAS anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
If you really need the GPA boost and maybe a strong LOR, I would do the MS route. I did the MS route, but I really feel like I truly benefitted from applying earlier and expanding my interest to D.O. programs. Don't quote me, but I'm not sure if getting a master's, especially if it's not part of a SMP/program with linkage, carries much weight. I really feel like they're looking at your undergraduate GPAs and MCAT despite what they tell you. If i had to do it again, I would have studied harder for the MCAT and then worked. Regardless, best of luck in your future endeavors. You'll be in medical school soon enough.