1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Doing med and ugrad at the same school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by unicorn06, Nov 23, 2005.

1. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What do you all think about the pros and cons of doing med school at the same university as your undergrad? All other things being equal, would you choose to go elsewhere simply to get a different perspective and experience a different city? Also, do you think it would be bad in terms of connections to stay at the same school? I know that school name is important, and by attending two different schools, you have connections to alumni from both schools rather than just one...

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dude, I would KILL to be able to attend med school at my undergrad school (UCLA). But, it ain't gonna happen =P

4. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    I think some people choose to go elsewhere because a lot of times, when you get in the same uni as you did undergrad at, the students are the same students you did undergrad with to a certain extent.

So people like to get out.

I, on the other hand, would prefer to stay at my school's med school because I like their program and perspective.

I don't think that its a big deal. But of course the question is quite general. We would need to know more about which med school we are talking about, career goals, etc. to be able to determine what would be the best route.