Doing med and ugrad at the same school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think about the pros and cons of doing med school at the same university as your undergrad? All other things being equal, would you choose to go elsewhere simply to get a different perspective and experience a different city? Also, do you think it would be bad in terms of connections to stay at the same school? I know that school name is important, and by attending two different schools, you have connections to alumni from both schools rather than just one...

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this...

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, I would KILL to be able to attend med school at my undergrad school (UCLA). But, it ain't gonna happen =P

I think some people choose to go elsewhere because a lot of times, when you get in the same uni as you did undergrad at, the students are the same students you did undergrad with to a certain extent.

So people like to get out.

I, on the other hand, would prefer to stay at my school's med school because I like their program and perspective.

I don't think that its a big deal. But of course the question is quite general. We would need to know more about which med school we are talking about, career goals, etc. to be able to determine what would be the best route.