Doing "okay" in DIY Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmt2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my final grades back for my first semester of post bac:

Chem I: Went from a C to an A
Bio I: Went from a C to a B
Physics: B
Physics Lab: A
Research Methods: B+

My cGPA went from a 2.86 to a 2.91
I've seen on here multiple times that anything less than an A in a postbac is pretty much the end all for my shot at med school. Honestly I'm disappointed that I didn't do better but I struggled with more personal issues that I'm working hard to distance myself from. I'm really anxious that this is it for me. Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen on here multiple times that anything less than an A in a postbac is pretty much the end all for my shot at med school. Honestly I'm disappointed that I didn't do better but I struggled with more personal issues that I'm working hard to distance myself from. I'm really anxious that this is it for me. Suggestions?

Nothing less than an A is not a death sentence. But you do need to get your GPA over 3.0. Don't give up, it's not that bad.

For DO programs, your number probably went up a LOT higher. Calculate your both GPAs via AACOMAS' schema, and target schools accordingly. I think you're doing fine, and once you get the cGPA >3.0, you're fine for many programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Need to calculate the sGPA only with grade replacement to get an accurate picture. Your cGPA won't change much no matter how many classes you take over.

Nah, you'll be fine if everything else looks good.

Postbacc:
<3.0 = death sentence
3.0-3.29 = not doing yourself any favors
3.30-3.49 = meh
3.50-3.79 = good to very good
3.80-4.00 = great to outstanding

If personal issues are preventing you from putting forth less than best effort in a DIY post-bacc, then yes, medical school is not for you right now.

Take the time to get all your ducks in a row and start again with a clear head.

Nothing less than an A is not a death sentence. But you do need to get your GPA over 3.0. Don't give up, it's not that bad.

This

Take it from somone who did a DIY postbac between my State University and CC. I did not get all A's. I did get the sGPA up above 3.0 and did get all As on any retakes. That really helps with DO sGPA and shows your ability to handle the tough science.

Not the end-but you need to minimize your Bs and really focus on what it takes to show you have the drive. I worked full time and took 2-3 courses at a time, and a C in organic chemistry was my first issue (all top scores before). After that, and earning a B in OrgII, CellBIO and genetics, my GPA went from a 4.0 to around a 3.7. I took a lot of other upper level biologies and chemistry 2/3 credit hour research projects to boost my GPA-it was hard work but I played to my strengths and this is also where I snagged my letters of recommendation.

So a B or even a C is not the end of the world-but if you start off under the gun, you are going to have an uphill battle to raise your GPA when you attack your more difficult courses. Don't bite off more than you can chew-if you have additional obligations, do not feel you have to finish it all by tomorrow. It's all about drive, learning from your mistakes and growing as a premed. You need to be realistic, because 1 or 2 more semesters of a 3.0 GPA will lock you down.

Is your GPA calculated with grade replacement or not? If not, what is it? And what is your sGPA and cGPA with grade replacement taken into account? If this was with replacement accounted for, take more classes and get some As. I hear basket weaving, interpretive dance, and modern cooking are looking damn fine right about now. Go on a professor rating site and make sure you sign up for those easy professors, work your butt off, and you can do this.

I would also suggest taking the MCAT before doing anything crazy. You don't want to do another year of boosting your grades only to find out you got a 20 on the MCAT and it was all for nothing.