Doing Orgo in Summer and Studying for PCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serpant55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick question - I'm planning on the June 21 09 PCAT or the August 23 09 PCAT, but from June - August, I'm doing Organic I and II, with the Labs. I've read on here before that Orgo II isn't strictly needed for the PCAT, but regardless - I highly doubt I'll have time to study during that summer for the other subjects (Gen Chem which I took a while ago, Calc I which I did take a class but learned nothing, bio which I took ages ago)...So do you guys think it'd be advisable to start studying for these subjects now?

I have a lot of time to kill before Spring classes start. I'm just afraid that if I start studying now, I'll forget the material and it'll be a waste of time >< What do you all think? Study now and consistently review until June/August?

Also, would it be in my better interest to have an application sent as early as possible full with PCAT scores (ie take PCAT in June) or should I maybe wait until August since I'd have more time to prepare (albeit not a lot of extra time with Orgo, but still, more time)?

Thanks a million guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would start studying now and then go back periodically and make sure you remember the things you learned. If you do that for the next six months, a lot of that info will enter your long term memory. Plus it will take off some of the pressure for the summer. You won't remember everything but every little bit helps, right?

As for your second question, are any of your schools rolling admission schools? If so, it is better to get those applications done early so you are competing against less people. If none of your schools are rolling admissions then you can take the exam in August.

Do you have a plan in case you want to retake it? I believe that if you take the August exam, wait for your scores and then want to take it again in October, you will be past the regular registration period so it will cost extra to register. Don't quote me on that though. I just remember people complaining about that.

Yep the schools I'm applying to are rolling admissions. So June I guess it is. Maybe if I do bad on that I should aim for August, that way I won't have to deal with late registration or having a very late app. I actually didn't think of retaking, I was kinda hoping to do well the first time around, lol. Good advice, I've already opened my PCAT book. Thanks a lot :)

i'm on the same boat with you...
maybe i'll take it in June since I'm not sure what I will get and that will leave me with a chance of retaking without score delivery delay
what book are you using?
oh, and can you suggest me some rolling admission schools?
thanks a lot ;)