Doing poorly in pre-req classes (Calculus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CedarZ4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a first year student in college and currently taking Calc 1. I'm doing very poorly (C-) and the only grade left is the final. If I ace the finals, which is a big if, I can maybe pull off with a B-, otherwise, will probably be stuck in the C range. I was just wondering if that will really hurt my chances, and if schools really look at your first year grades. I have an A- in my other classes, but I just can't seem to get a firm grasp on calculus. I believe Calc is a requirement for some schools, and a preferred math course for many. I am thinking about taking Stat next year to fill up my year of math requirement.

If Calc is a prereq (is it?) and is it true that schools do not accept anything lower than a C in prereq courses? I've done research online, through SDN, and even on the school's website but I'm getting different things. What if I get lower than a C in Calc? Sorry for the long question, but I am just really concerned about Calc and wanted to know if getting lower than a C or a C in Calc 1 during my freshman year will completely eliminate the possibility of getting into dental school.:( Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi!

From what I know, Calculus is not a pre-requisite for Dental School but MAY be a pre-req for your major. So, even though you may get a C- in it, it won't hinder your chances of Dental School but you'll have to repeat it anyways for your major.

P.S., I've found that you can do well in calc if you simply plug away at endless problems every day. I am in Calc II now and I actually feel that it's easier than Calc I. My 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Calc is not a pre-req for my major so that is why I am not taking Calc 2 but Stat instead.
I've looked through a few dental schools and a lot of them don't have Calc as a pre-req rather a recommended course. Does that mean a C- in a non pre-req but recommended course is ok? Also, I hear you can't get lower than a C in any pre-req or you have to retake it? Anyone know about that?

Thanks for all the help, I feel better now :)

Congrats on your acceptance LuckyMiner!
Yeah, I am pretty confident in doing well on my other classes, just Calc is really difficult for me for a reason. But from first hand experience, a C in Calc won't hurt me too much as long as I maintain a high GPA and do well in the sciences?