Don"t turn down that offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roto Picante

Roto
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In response the earlier thread to those with multiple acceptances..... Don't turn ANYTHING down until you are 100 percent positive that your spot is held at your first choice. Make sure your deposit has been received, you have your background check in, all your shots, everything. Things can go wrong. Make sure that you are through one door before you close another. Just my two pence......

Members don't see this ad.

Good advise. Does anybody know of situations that have caused students to have their acceptance recinded?

In response the earlier thread to those with multiple acceptances..... Don't turn ANYTHING down until you are 100 percent positive that your spot is held at your first choice. Make sure your deposit has been received, you have your background check in, all your shots, everything. Things can go wrong. Make sure that you are through one door before you close another. Just my two pence......

Just a heads up -- Most schools do not even ask for the background check, shots, etc. until the class is full. If everyone waited to drop other offers until this was done, people on a waitlist wouldn't hear anything until July. I know at San Antonio, we didn't even get information about shots and background check until after Easter. Just make sure the school has received your deposit, unless they ask for additional information from you... but the deposit is usually all that is required right now... keep in mind some schools will ask for a second deposit before they ask for any of the other information.

Members don't see this ad :)

1. If you're scared of NOT passing the background check, you prob don't belong to dental schools anyways.

2. If everyone was to be like this NO1 would ever come off the waitlists.

3. Thank god people don't think the way you do.

Good advise. Does anybody know of situations that have caused students to have their acceptance recinded?

I had 6 offers in Dec 2005. I chose to go with Houston. So, I called the school and then sent a formal decline for their records in early Jan. In April, I got this letter from Houston thanking me for my interest in their school, but they regret to inform me that they could not offer me a seat because there were too many qualified applicants for so few seats. I FREAKED OUT!!!!!!! I had them on the phone as soon as I could reach the phone. I started to blow up on the gal who answered the phone stating how cold they offer me a seat and then remove me from the list. I told her I had turned down 5 offers to go here. As I was stating to say somethign else she interupted me and apologized for the mix up. I still had a seat as long as I still wanted it. She had no idea how I got the rejection letter sent to me, but she assured me I was still had aseat waiting for me.

Talk about an instance where my heart about stopped!

1. If you're scared of NOT passing the background check, you prob don't belong to dental schools anyways.

2. If everyone was to be like this NO1 would ever come off the waitlists.

3. Thank god people don't think the way you do.

chill out. the OP was just lookin' out for others and reminding them to be extra careful. Don't wanna waste years of hard work to mess up on something that's easily preventable. From what I hear, what you want to do is to make sure your deposit has been received and accepted at the respective school to hold a seat for you.

I had 6 offers in Dec 2005. I chose to go with Houston. So, I called the school and then sent a formal decline for their records in early Jan. In April, I got this letter from Houston thanking me for my interest in their school, but they regret to inform me that they could not offer me a seat because there were too many qualified applicants for so few seats. I FREAKED OUT!!!!!!! I had them on the phone as soon as I could reach the phone. I started to blow up on the gal who answered the phone stating how cold they offer me a seat and then remove me from the list. I told her I had turned down 5 offers to go here. As I was stating to say somethign else she interupted me and apologized for the mix up. I still had a seat as long as I still wanted it. She had no idea how I got the rejection letter sent to me, but she assured me I was still had aseat waiting for me.

wow, i probably would have had a heart attack...or fainted on the spot

omg that's pretty crazy story...!!! my heart almost stopped too and i was like wtf and read it over again as if i read it wrong or something...geez i am even getting a headache...hahahah...:oops:

background check is only looking at felonies and class A or B misdemeanors (ie: not drinking tickets).
i don't agree with the statement that 'if you are worried about it, don't apply...'
getting a drinking ticket (most of which get deferred and then dropped) is not the end of the world, and it certainly won't preclude you from going to dental school

Yeah I would have a heart attack also. Can you imagine the horror of hearing those words on the phone. I would be like, Ashton is going to jump out of the closet at any minute, oh wait, I am a nobody, my goodness I have died and gone to Hades. Then my heart would explode.

background check is only looking at felonies and class A or B misdemeanors (ie: not drinking tickets).
i don't agree with the statement that 'if you are worried about it, don't apply...'
getting a drinking ticket (most of which get deferred and then dropped) is not the end of the world, and it certainly won't preclude you from going to dental school

Even still, if the misdemeanor is presented on your secondary, as in you already told them, and they still accepted you, then how can they retract an offer? It was already present in clear writing when they made the decision to accept you

Ok so I think this is the thread to ask about my situation.

On my application when it asked if I was ever convicted of a crime, I checked no.

However, three years ago I got arrested for stealing $5 dollars worth of merchandise (yes, I was an idiot. Saw my friends do it and thought hey why wait in line when I can just grab these band-aids and chapstick and go about my business. Very dumb I know, and I have never stolen again). The people at Target celebrated my capture because it was this lady's first bust using new hidden cameras...it was so ridiculous. They wouldn't let me go because it was her first bust.

Anyhow, the cops came and cuffed me. They laughed at the Target people, and told me not to worry because the DA probably won't even press charges and they will just drop it but protocol made it that they had to fingerprint me.

So, I waited and waited and never got a fine or anything from the situation. I called the courts and the police department and they said I was never "convicted" (the word used when asking in AADSAS) of anything and that they usually drop stupid stuff like that and that I should not worry about anything and that I am okay to check no about if I was ever convicted and found guilty of a crime.

So thinking the situation was resolved and I would never have to worry about it, I got fingerprinted for a DOJ and FBI check for my Registered Dental Assistance License. My FBI cleared in 2 days, but it has been FIVE MONTHS and my DOJ prints haven't even cleared yet. I keep calling and they just said I have to wait patiently as they get all corresponding agencies to respond to my records request.

So in conclusion, my questions are:

1. Will this hold-up happen in my background check? God forbid that holding me from being a dentist.

2. In your opinion (I know it isn't fact and each school is different) would you think a dental school would rescind an acceptance for something that ridiculous?

Edit: And just for those asking if something else could be holding up my fingerprints, I highly doubt it. I've never gotten in trouble for anything else besides that stupid Target incident. Only other things are minor traffic infractions which I know aren't affecting anything.

Second Edit: I just checked, and my RDA license FINALLY cleared lol. I got fingerprinted in the beginning of June, and it cleared November 24th. So I'm assuming my background check came back clean (albeit a little late) since they approved my license. Phew, but I would still like input about my above situation if you have any!

Last edited:

Haha I would go crazy too. It isn't even me in the situation and I was feeling your emotions.

On my application when it asked if I was ever convicted of a crime, I checked no.

However, three years ago I got arrested for stealing $5 dollars worth of merchandise (yes, I was an idiot. Saw my friends do it and thought hey why wait in line when I can just grab these band-aids and chapstick and go about my business. Very dumb I know, and I have never stolen again). The people at Target celebrated my capture because it was this lady's first bust using new hidden cameras...it was so ridiculous. They wouldn't let me go because it was her first bust.

Anyhow, the cops came and cuffed me. They laughed at the Target people, and told me not to worry because the DA probably won't even press charges and they will just drop it but protocol made it that they had to fingerprint me.

So, I waited and waited and never got a fine or anything from the situation. I called the courts and the police department and they said I was never "convicted" (the word used when asking in AADSAS) of anything and that they usually drop stupid stuff like that and that I should not worry about anything and that I am okay to check no about if I was ever convicted and found guilty of a crime.

So thinking the situation was resolved and I would never have to worry about it, I got fingerprinted for a DOJ and FBI check for my Registered Dental Assistance License. My FBI cleared in 2 days, but it has been FIVE MONTHS and my DOJ prints haven't even cleared yet. I keep calling and they just said I have to wait patiently as they get all corresponding agencies to respond to my records request.

1. Will this hold-up happen in my background check? God forbid that holding me from being a dentist.

2. In your opinion (I know it isn't fact and each school is different) would you think a dental school would rescind an acceptance for something that ridiculous?

Edit: And just for those asking if something else could be holding up my fingerprints, I highly doubt it. I've never gotten in trouble for anything else besides that stupid Target incident. Only other things are minor traffic infractions which I know aren't affecting anything.

Second Edit: I just checked, and my RDA license FINALLY cleared lol. I got fingerprinted in the beginning of June, and it cleared November 24th. So I'm assuming my background check came back clean (albeit a little late) since they approved my license. Phew, but I would still like input about my above situation if you have any!
I wouldn't worry about it. I mean everybody makes a mistake sometime in their lives. And it doesn't seem like the stuff they'll be looking for when they do background checks. In my opinion you'll be fine.

you were never convicted so it's like it never happened... "innocent until proven guilty"... USA! USA! USA!:laugh: