Donation to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPedigree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
perhaps others with more experience will disagree, but i don't think it will help. they are already interested in you despite your having no connections as you say. i would say just go for it. plus, are you always going to wonder if you "bought" your way into med school? i don't know. it would bother me, i guess. just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you trolling? I seriously doubt that anybody on here can give you a satisfactory response. If you have 50-100k just laying around, there are many better ways to spend it.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is this bs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t do it. It almost feels like bribing to me. I think it can only hurt you. I can almost guarantee 99.9% of accepted applicants get in without donating money.

Reactions: 1 user
Too little, too late and too calculated.

You'd need to increase that with one or two more zeros and make the donation a year* before submitting your secondary application for it to register with the school that you are connected to that donation.

*correction: make that seven years before submitting your secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Too little, too late and too calculated.

You'd need to increase that with one or two more zeros and make the donation a year before submitting your secondary application for it to register with the school that you are connected to that donation.

So if one were to donate say 300-500k to an Ivy League med school one year prior to submitting their secondary, and their stats are above the 10th percentile for the school and assuming they can interview decently would that get them accepted or just a "Curtesy interview followed by a rejection" ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The Dean at the Univ of Florida lost his job back in 2008 because he overruled the Admissions Committee. The candidate in question was markedly unqualified, but the family was wealthy and politically connected. This was a HUGE favor to Admissions Deans everywhere.

The Dean at the Univ of Florida lost his job back in 2008 because he overruled the Admissions Committee. The candidate in question was markedly unqualified, but the family was wealthy and politically connected. This was a HUGE favor to Admissions Deans everywhere.

That was a fun time to be on SDN.

Is your family name so recognizable that the school might reasonably expect a 'gratitude donation' in the future?

Either way - please don't do it now. After you graduate, it would be most appreciated. Before you're admitted, it's just squicky.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone! I was not actually considering this lol, but I was just curious as to how the donation game works. I, and certainly 99.9% of applying applicants, definitely don't have this kind of money just laying around.

If this were discovered in an audit 4 years later, Mr Smith would owe about a half-million dollars to IRS.

If you are independent it's generally 3 years you're clear. For businesses I believe it's anything past 7 years you're in the clear. So technically it wouldn't be discovered in an audit 4 years later for that individual.

Edit:
(Still wouldn't do it, I don't condone this).