Don't Just Do it for the money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to revisit this, bc i'm working at a pharm now where there is a guy doing if "just for the money". He makes about $130K working graveyard in retail, which means he works 7 days straight and then gets 7 days off ad infinitum). For extra dough he works some of his off week for double-time and a half. That's why he's in pharmacy. He's constantly scanning the Wag's EMs to see if there are people needing help on his off days.

Problem: If you're in it just for that reason, you're gonna be in trouble just like he is bc the pissy pts, lame doctors and, and scheisty third parties are gonna drive you nuts. I've yet to meet a pharmacist who's in it just for th dough who's happy with it. It's too stressful for that to be the only reason.

To me it's cool bc you've got dedicated co-workers, the knowledge that you're doing a real service, and the grateful pts that make it worth it.

To me if you don't enjoy pt consultation and interaction you shouldn't be in this. If the crappy pts are gonna get to you and bring your sh^t down then don't be in it. Harsh but true.

Members don't see this ad.

Tri is on a posting RAMPAGE!! Look out! ;)

half the people in pharm sch today are in it for the money , i still wanna meet more people who became pharmacists cuz they wanted to !!!! Like Rodney Danger field, there is just no respect

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you worried about what other people are "in it" for? They are all of legal age to make their own decisions. There are always people that do things for the money. I know of many people who did and are quite happy, others are not, but you can't make a grand generalization based on a person's motives.

If this guy is of the "right mindset" and can handle the added workload, I see nothing wrong with it. But, just like an overworked air traffic controller, if he can't handle the added burden, then he's more likely to make mistakes...that ain't good for anyone. I don't know if the source of motivation really matters, just the results.

Oh, BTW Tri, good job starting-up the forum again with your posts ;)

Why are you worried about what other people are "in it" for?

Because those people break down. It's not a good thing to hate work. They're the ones posting about how bad it sucks. It's not good for them, not good for me, and not good for the people we serve. I see how pharmacists like this deal with pts when they're pissed off. It's a disservice.

Unfortunately, I've seen the same thing happen to people who were in it for the good of the patient. I've seen it happen to the nicest, most caring people. I've seen it happen to the quietest people. To the most outgoing people.

Its the nature of retail. Some are meant for it, others aren't. Some just get numb to it. Others are going to get out.

I was one of the ones who went into for a combination of both, and I could not see myself working another 35 years in retail so I switched to hospital. I know a guy who went into it for the money and is happily pegging away at 60-70 hours a week. Shrug. Who knows.

I know a guy who went into it for the money and is happily pegging away at 60-70 hours a week. Shrug. Who knows.

OK. Noted.

I wouldn't mind working the graveyard shift and make 135,000/year. I would even work 70-80hrs to make $160,000/year(if possible). Sounds very tempting because i currently have $35 to my name.

Sounds very tempting because i currently have $35 to my name.

Yeah, you're preaching to the choir here. I'm sooooo relentlessly stupid broke. I've had direct tv for a mo now, but i can't even afford to buy the f'in receiver!!!

I'm working 40 hrs in a pharmacy and pt at Gap, and I still have no dough. This is seriously jacked up. I'm still saying don't do it for the money, but whatevers. I'll let it die, until that pharmacist wigs out again, and I have to post about it.;)

the 130,000 and 160,000 are just incredible huge figures that are unimaginable to me, it seems like that is the only attraction for pharmacists who want to go into retail, every pharmacy student that I talk to going into retail says "I'll just do it for a couple of years and than I'll move on..." kinda hard if you get used to getting a salary like that

do you guys know how stressful it is to even work 40 hrs a day and expect to work 70-80hours. If you have not been there, don't dream and expect the dough. Let me tell you it is stressful as hell. if you really want to go into pharmacy for money, you are in the wrong profession, there are alot of other profession that will pay alot more than a pharmacist pay. Pharmacy is more a stable, okay money kind of a job. One more thing to add, it is a very boring career. Speaking from experience....:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fortunately your experience doesn't apply to everyone. Many of the people in here have worked in pharmacies and already know what to expect.

"here are alot of other profession that will pay alot more than a pharmacist pay. Pharmacy is more a stable, okay money kind of a job."

What kind of professions? I've seen many people make this statement in regards to the various health professions ("don't go into career x for the money; if you really want to make money go to law school or get an MBA"). The thing about pharmacy (and many of the other health professions) is that you are more or less guaranteed a job and a certain level of salary. This can't be said for too many other professions. Yeah, there are lawyers and MBA's making a ton of money, but there are also a lot that are scraping to get by. Also, most professions that are high paying are going to be stressful (e.g. lawyers, physicians, CEO's -- all high paying, all generally very stressful). If $90k starting is only "okay" then I guess your salary expectations in life are higher than mine. I know a lot of people who would kill for a salary like that (let alone starting out).

A lot of my friends and family are in the IT and engineering fields. Most of them routinely work 50-60+ hours a week and since they are salaried receive no extra compensation. At least many (most? all? all the pharmacists I know get paid for working overtime) pharmacists get paid for working over 40 hours.

Please forgive my ignorance, but can you list the stress factors that made retail so stressful? Also, what is the average salary for a starting out pharmacist?

Thanks

I wouldn't know where to start ;)

It depends on where you work. Third party adjudication hassles, nagging patients, people coming up to you asking stupid questions like "how much would xyz cost through my insurance?". Sometimes it's the shear volume of scripts and patients.

Interning at Target has shown me that retail need not be a completely stressful occupation. Every Target pharmacist I've seen, so far, loves what they do, and enjoys working for the company. Great thing about pharmacy is that you should be able to find a job that you will be satisfied in doing. I always wonder about those "whining" pharmacists you sometimes see in other internet forums...they couldn't have possibly "tried it all".

We've discussed this in previous threads, so try searching for it. Average salary depends on region...anywhere from $70,000 into the six figures.

I?ve tried doing what I thought I would love, namely working as a field biologist for the Forest Service in places like Alaska and N. California. I did love some aspects of my job; I mean its pretty cool to be able to say that I lived in a tent for 3 months of the year, commuted to work in a kayak, and was getting paid to go fishing. However, the reality was that I wasn?t going to break $30,000/year, no bennies, the job security was terrible and the further I progressed in the career ladder, the less time I would be spending outside.:mad: So, a bit disillusioned but still self-confident, I looked for work in the biotechnology world. I had a Cell bio degree and thought I could get a foot in the door, but 6 months of searching landed only a couple of temp lab-drone gigs and still no $, security or upward mobility. During this time I had also seen my father and brother out of work in the IT field with no good prospects on their horizons. +pissed+ . All of this helped me to realize that dammit, money is an important factor in my life even though I?ve never wanted it to be! Since I don?t think I?ll ever be able to make a good living off of my passions in life (fishing, biking, reading and music:cool: ) I see work as giving part of my life?s precious time in exchange for $. So if I don?t really love the job, than I better be getting a good lifestyle in exchanging for my time.
The money in pharmacy IS really good right now, especially considering the economic slump in many other fields that require extensive education (IT, MBA?s, engineering). In my brief pharmacy experience, I?ve seen that the job can be very stressful and requires quite a bit of diligence. It can be really difficult for me to maintain my normally good-natured personality when dealing with upset patients who often don't respect you, having a phone stuck in your ear while trying to carry on a face to face conversation or feeling constantly rushed when you're supposed to be error free. I DID NOT grow up with the dream of working under these conditions. The reality is that I already know I won't love the work.
The upside is that I can live where I want, make good money and work the hours I choose. I DID grow up dreaming of working under these conditions. This is not an easy path to take though. Its going to take a whole hellavu lot of $, effort and time to become a pharmacist and a whole lot more effort to work as one. I just gotta believe that the jobs will still be there when I get out of school and trust myself to choose one with the best possible work environment even if it ONLY PAYS 70K A YEAR!!!:laugh: Even with the negative aspects, those prospects sound a whole lot more alluring than the ones that I have experienced since graduating a year ago.