Don't know what to do...need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Broccoli Industry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently a freshman undergraduate pre-med. There's this research lab that I really want to get into but the professor hasn't responded to my email (it's been a week, likely ignored). Should I approach him after one of the classes he teaches to express my interest in his research or will that be perceived as annoying?

***Btw, I've received a few other research position offerings but I'm extremely interested in what this professor is working on and working in his lab would be by far my top choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have the class with him? Don't just stalk his class and go up to him. Also a week is a perfectly appropriate amount of time to not have responded. If another goes by, reply to your first email and send it to him saying something like "Just following up to express my continued interest in volunteering with your lab". Don't be afraid of being annoying, within reason.

Do you have the class with him? Don't just stalk his class and go up to him. Also a week is a perfectly appropriate amount of time to not have responded. If another goes by, reply to your first email and send it to him saying something like "Just following up to express my continued interest in volunteering with your lab". Don't be afraid of being annoying, within reason.
No I don't have class with him and I feel as though he's seen the email but just likely ignored it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with femmegoblue. Reply to your email in a few days and express continued interest.

This is an n=1 anecdote, but my brother was looking for a research job in undergrad. He emailed the professor, didn't hear back for a week, then emailed him again. The professor responded and said basically, "I get so many applications that I only interview people who repeatedly show interest, so I know they actually want it." He got the job.

find & read some of his papers & ask a specific question about his work. that's ACTUAL interest.

Reactions: 1 user
I would just go to his office. Put on nice clothes. Read the last paper he wrote. Try not to take up more than 2-3 minutes unless he is asking you questions. If he is too busy ask if you could make an appointment. Done.

I have read his past 2 papers which is why I am so interested in his lab. I'm planning to email him again soon but if he doesn't respond should I meet him in person? I feel like meeting with him after the class he teaches is a better idea than going to his office b/c then I might disturb him. Any suggestions?

I think going to his office would be okay! That's actually how I got my research position. I emailed her, no response, went to her office a week and a half later and she gave me the position because "a lot of people emailed with interest, but you were the only one to actually come to my office." Obviously show respect and all, but there's nothing wrong with going for what you want.

If you are a freshman it may just be that you aren't qualified yet. I agree that going to his office might be perfectly appropriate knowing that he might be busy, and you might have to come back. Consider going in with an open mind and asking what skills you would need to gain to really help him at his lab. Show him you understand the work he is doing but you understand that it is a highly desirable position. Be prepared for the chance that you are not yet a great fit and ask him directly what labs and classes he recommends. Good opportunities have to be cultivated sometimes...