Don't know where to start-- how did you find LOR writers and strong EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MicrobeParade

Atropine Alice is in your head
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a DIY postbacc. I basically have to pay my own way through school because I'm a non-degree-seeking career changer, so I can only do two classes at a time. I'm also holding down two jobs: medical scribe in the ED and inpatient departments of a hospital, and in-home caregiver for an individual with cerebral palsy. I've had the latter job for nearly five years now, and the former since this summer.

I'm worried that I won't be able to find a strong academic LOR, although work-related ones will not be a problem. Any suggestions on how to get more involved in the science department when you can only afford two classes at a time and spend most of your waking hours working or commuting to work? I can't cut down on work hours, since I need the money, so what are ways people here get a good professional network at their universities?

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

You are a scribe in the ED! Talk to one of the docs you are scribing for.....duh

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Sorry misread- depending on the school you are doing post bac work at, they may have a pre health advising committee. I would inquire with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a DIY postbacc. I basically have to pay my own way through school because I'm a non-degree-seeking career changer, so I can only do two classes at a time. I'm also holding down two jobs: medical scribe in the ED and inpatient departments of a hospital, and in-home caregiver for an individual with cerebral palsy. I've had the latter job for nearly five years now, and the former since this summer.

I'm worried that I won't be able to find a strong academic LOR, although work-related ones will not be a problem. Any suggestions on how to get more involved in the science department when you can only afford two classes at a time and spend most of your waking hours working or commuting to work? I can't cut down on work hours, since I need the money, so what are ways people here get a good professional network at their universities?

Also (see 2 other responses i left on this thread) if the school you are doing your post bac work at is a community college, consider doing a higher level science course at a university, and networking that way with the professors/ pre health professions advisors. Rest assured, you are not the only one who has ever been in this position. I am sure others have, and they have figured out a way to accomplish their goals. Stay positive, and don't let some little hurdle (or even big hurdle) discourage you. If there is a will, there is a way ! (Corny cliche...lol)

...I'm worried that I won't be able to find a strong academic LOR, although work-related ones will not be a problem. Any suggestions on how to get more involved in the science department when you can only afford two classes at a time and spend most of your waking hours working or commuting to work? I can't cut down on work hours, since I need the money, so what are ways people here get a good professional network at their universities?

The same way the trad kids do - talk to your professors.
Most people only have a given professor for one class at a time anyway, and maybe only one or two classes total. But no matter what, if you're just another kid in class, they can't write you a good letter. And nobody's going to chase you down to make friends. You have to reach out to them. Start going to office hours or even just talking to them for a couple minutes after class. Work up to more of a relationship over time.

Reactions: 1 users
For LORs, you need to approach your professors and ask "Dr ___, do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my med school app?" How to do this. Go chat up your professor after class. Sit up front. Ask about their research interests. You don't have to brown-nose, just be interested.

As for ECs: Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Reactions: 1 users
I asked a prof the first week of class if he'd feel comfortable writing me a letter if my work was excellent and I was engaged in the class, and he said yes.

Edit:
He ended up advising me on a research project as well.

Last edited:
Hey! I also struggled with this. I went to office hours and emailed my prof with questions and showed an interest in what they were teaching. It really doesn't take as much as you would think to build a relationship. I also researched relevant articles in their field and asked them about it. Just show an interest and do well in their class!

I asked a prof the first week of class if he'd feel comfortable writing me a letter if my work was excellent and I was engaged in the class, and he said yes.

Edit:
He ended up advising me on a research project as well.

This is a pretty good idea. I have one pretty much lined up but I need a second and this coming semester will hopefully be my last for post bacc. I'll give this a shot.

This is a pretty good idea. I have one pretty much lined up but I need a second and this coming semester will hopefully be my last for post bacc. I'll give this a shot.

Just make sure you follow through. I had a 99 in the course or something and was super engaged. I also talked with the prof like once a week.

I don't think chatting people up is as important as others suggest. Get A's, ask them within a few weeks of the end of the semester.

I don't think chatting people up is as important as others suggest. Get A's, ask them within a few weeks of the end of the semester.

Chatting them up lets them write a more personal letter. Not sure why you wouldn't want that. It takes minimal effort to talk to a prof a couple times.