Don't meet minumum GRE essay score

Started by mygymnst
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mygymnst

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I have been looking at some of the schools' minimum GRE scores. I scored above the minimum for the Verbal and Quant sections. However, I only scored a 3.5 on the writing and a 4 is needed at some schools. I am wondering if it is worth still applying to these schools. Will they still look at my application? Thanks for any advice😀
 
Hi! I have been looking at some of the schools' minimum GRE scores. I scored above the minimum for the Verbal and Quant sections. However, I only scored a 3.5 on the writing and a 4 is needed at some schools. I am wondering if it is worth still applying to these schools. Will they still look at my application? Thanks for any advice😀

It depends on if the school words it as "Preferred" Score or "Required Score"
But really, I would just email whichever schools you are interested in that say they want/need a 4 and ask them about what you should do (apply, not apply, retake the GRE). Sometimes I've found they are less stringent than their websites make them sound.
 
Honestly, I would retake it.... most schools list a minimum GPA or GRE score, but the average score of accepted applicants is typically well above the minimum.

Better safe than sorry! =/