Don't want to do the TMDAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moxche

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, I'm in a bit of a complex situation and I would appreciate your input:

I'm a Texas resident but go to school very far away from the lone star state. I kinda like it here now, and want to stay in this part of the country. Would it be a really dumb/bad idea to not apply to any of my home state's public schools?

I know that I will have a better chance of getting in at a school in Texas (the 90% rule) and that tuition will be cheaper than at the other schools I'm considering; however, right now I feel that if I get accepted anywhere else, I will choose it over any of the Texas schools. Keeping that last fact in mind, is it justifiable for me to spend the time filling out the TMDAS, a $85+ application fee, and flight tickets just so I can have a "surer" spot at med school?

If it helps, these are some of my stats right now: ~3.70 sGPA , ~3.8 cGPA, 38 MCAT, ~1 year of research. The most troubling part of my application right now is probably a lack of "leadership" (I've never been an officer in any club).

Thanks for any advice/help/opinions/concerns.

Members don't see this ad.

since you're a texas resident, you'd only be cheating yourself if you didn't do the texas app. you might as well do it.

I think it would be foolish not to, but it is your life and your decision. I'd rather take the tremendous cost savings of going to school in Texas and do a residency wherever I like than go up to my eyeballs in debt and ultimately still do a residency wherever I like.

4 years of school can save you a ton of money down the line. It's not like Texas has bad schools, especially with your competitive numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
IT would be a HUGE mistake not to! TMDSAS is relatively cheap. Texas is full of great schools, we have schools in big cities or small towns and the weather is awesome. School is cheap too. You really aren't considering Southwestern?

You do have great stats so you most likely will get in outside of Texas if that is your wish though.

My main reason for not wanting to go to school in Texas is this: I don't want to live in a small town OR a sprawling city. I love the public transportation in the northeast (subways are great). Living in Texas is impossible without a car, which is something that I'd like to do without.

IT would be a HUGE mistake not to! TMDSAS is relatively cheap. Texas is full of great schools, we have schools in big cities or small towns and the weather is awesome. School is cheap too. You really aren't considering Southwestern?

You do have great stats so you most likely will get in outside of Texas if that is your wish though.

Just to clarify, this is not a ranking/public stigma. I am including Baylor and Southwestern into this bunch based solely on their locations.

Based on all your opinions it seems like I should just bite the bullet and do TMDAS to be safe though. I qualified for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program, so paying for the Texas applications was something I was hoping to avoid...

Ultimately go where you are going to be happy. Of course I'm just partial to Texas that is why I am pushing to so hard. Again, you have great stats so you could probably be safe without applying in Texas.

I think there are some students in Houston and Dallas that talk about getting around solely through public transportation, but you are right, we don't have an awesome subway system.

If you stick with just AMCAS you can still apply to Baylor.

Anyway, you are an extremely competitive applicant with the potential to get in anywhere you want.

Living in Texas is impossible without a car, which is something that I'd like to do without.

Actually not true, though obviously it is hard; some of my classmates get by without a car and work the bus/rail system in Houston (not on par with the subway, but it'll get you where you need to be).

The question you need to ask yourself isn't, "Would I go to a Texas school over a northeast school," it's, "Would I decline a Texas acceptance and apply all over again if I got in there but didn't get into anywhere in the northeast?" Because if you apply to Texas, there's nothing preventing you from choosing a northeast school later if you get into both, it just gives you extra options. Frankly, no matter how much you may dislike the location, there's absolutely no justifiable reason that I can see for declining an acceptance entirely just to reapply; that would be way more expensive than just filling out the TMDSAS this year.

Actually not true, though obviously it is hard; some of my classmates get by without a car and work the bus/rail system in Houston (not on par with the subway, but it'll get you where you need to be).

The question you need to ask yourself isn't, "Would I go to a Texas school over a northeast school," it's, "Would I decline a Texas acceptance and apply all over again if I got in there but didn't get into anywhere in the northeast?" Because if you apply to Texas, there's nothing preventing you from choosing a northeast school later if you get into both, it just gives you extra options. Frankly, no matter how much you may dislike the location, there's absolutely no justifiable reason that I can see for declining an acceptance entirely just to reapply; that would be way more expensive than just filling out the TMDSAS this year.

Good point, I hadn't thought of it exactly in those terms, which makes it a bit clearer to see that I should just apply. Nothing wrong with having more options.

are you positive you're still a texas resident? i'm not asking you this for you to tell me, but more so for you to double check all the rules around it. i've heard stuff on here about people and state residency that boggled my mind lol.

I was under the impression that Texans lost their residency if they did not reside in the state for 12 consecutive months. I thought I was a Texas resident until I read that I had to live there for a year, but I attend university abroad. Can anyone clarify?

Texas has become the best place to live now, the rate of growth in Texas cities and job opportunities + the cost of living >>>>>

and i'm in the northeast

I was under the impression that Texans lost their residency if they did not reside in the state for 12 consecutive months. I thought I was a Texas resident until I read that I had to live there for a year, but I attend university abroad. Can anyone clarify?
You will still be considered a resident if you're only out of state to go to school.

apply to USUHS (in addition to tx schools)
free, O1 pay/allowances/benefits, bethesda md (on DC metro red line).

???
I'm a TX resident who grew up in the west coast...three-digit summer weather is NOT that great IMO!!

But TX schools are really good in terms of tuition. I can understand why you wouldn't want to come back to TX if it is for your political taste...ugh

I can understand why you wouldn't want to come back to TX if it is for your political taste...ugh

Yeah, let's not do that.

OP, if you really don't wanna go to med school in Texas, then don't apply. In terms of assuring a spot in next year's entering class, it's a bad idea just by the numbers -- but you've gotta weigh the benefits of four years of Texas in-state tuition versus four years of a sub-ideal climate, however that works for you.