Don't want to "lose time" going through the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residencies more or less began this past June/July, right?

If there are drop-outs, no-shows, or terminations at a particular program, how would one go about filling in that spot?

If anyone has any info or experience about this kind of situation, please PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Residencies more or less began this past June/July, right?

If there are drop-outs, no-shows, or terminations at a particular program, how would one go about filling in that spot?

If anyone has any info or experience about this kind of situation, please PM me.

You could either "waste time" going through the match, or you could "productively use time" cold calling every single program in the country in your specialty to see if they have a spot and are willing to take you in it.

Either way, I predict a spot for you on or around July 1, 2012.

Given that ERAS opens tomorrow, the best way to do this is to apply via ERAS. Let's say I have an open PGY-1 spot and I like your application. I'd plan on interviewing you early in the season, and if I liked you on the interview I'd offer you a spot to start ASAP.

If you want, you could put a statement like "although I am applying for a PGY-1 spot in July, I would be happy to consider off cycle spots if they are available" in your application (likely in your PS)

Given that ERAS opens tomorrow, the best way to do this is to apply via ERAS. Let's say I have an open PGY-1 spot and I like your application. I'd plan on interviewing you early in the season, and if I liked you on the interview I'd offer you a spot to start ASAP.

If you want, you could put a statement like "although I am applying for a PGY-1 spot in July, I would be happy to consider off cycle spots if they are available" in your application (likely in your PS)

:thumbup:

Would most PD's offer a spot to start ASAP? or is that just your kindness? (lol)

Thanks as always aPD for your helpful responses.

"Most" = no.

The people whom will consider it are those with open spots. Most programs don't have open spots. But anyone with an open spot will absolutely be looking at ERAS applications for possible residents. The more competitive your application is, the more likely you'd get offered a spot.