DOs in this year's match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam212

Lover, not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to all who matched. I am wondering about the DOs who did the allopathic match. How did it go? Did you get a lot of interviews? What were your scores like if you don't mind sharing with us? USMLE or not? Did you match at one of your top choices? Any advice for those of us who'll be applying next year? Once again, congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll bite.

I don't think I knew enough about how to navigate the match, both DO and MD, to be successful, and I think my hubris tripped me up to boot. I had average scores: USMLE 217 and 219, COMLEX 585 and 590. Straight A's in clinicals and nice letters, but a late and lukewarm SLOR. I applied first of October because I thought I had to have everything but the MSPE done (wrong), and I only applied to left coast programs (stupid), then I interviewed at my two audition rotations, both places not known for being DO-friendly (stupid x 2), got rejections everywhere else (surprise), and second-waved it to the rest of the country in mid-November (loser). Got two more interviews on my own merit (real surprise) but didn't match. Thought I had to wait until after Match fail to apply to DO programs (wrong), spent most of Tuesday shaking off the deer-in-the-headlights feeling (stupid), finally got the hang of scrambling late Tuesday and still don't have a job (loser).

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster I'm on Prozac.

So what would I say about this experience? I don't think I'm a bad applicant, and I don't think I'm going to be a bad EM physician, but I definitely was not appropriately schooled in the ways of the Match. Make no assumptions; leave no stone unturned; get a crapload of options lined up for yourself. There's no way to completely protect yourself from being thrown off, but I know I'm not the only DO student that hasn't gotten a really good education about how to negotiate getting into a residency.

Good luck with your final year of school!

I'll bite.

I don't think I knew enough about how to navigate the match, both DO and MD, to be successful, and I think my hubris tripped me up to boot. I had average scores: USMLE 217 and 219, COMLEX 585 and 590. Straight A's in clinicals and nice letters, but a late and lukewarm SLOR. I applied first of October because I thought I had to have everything but the MSPE done (wrong), and I only applied to left coast programs (stupid), then I interviewed at my two audition rotations, both places not known for being DO-friendly (stupid x 2), got rejections everywhere else (surprise), and second-waved it to the rest of the country in mid-November (loser). Got two more interviews on my own merit (real surprise) but didn't match. Thought I had to wait until after Match fail to apply to DO programs (wrong), spent most of Tuesday shaking off the deer-in-the-headlights feeling (stupid), finally got the hang of scrambling late Tuesday and still don't have a job (loser).

So what would I say about this experience? I don't think I'm a bad applicant, and I don't think I'm going to be a bad EM physician, but I definitely was not appropriately schooled in the ways of the Match. Make no assumptions; leave no stone unturned; get a crapload of options lined up for yourself. There's no way to completely protect yourself from being thrown off, but I know I'm not the only DO student that hasn't gotten a really good education about how to negotiate getting into a residency.

Sorry to hear that, I guess the key is to apply to enough programs that are DO friendly. I guess I'll keep that in perspective when it's time to apply. Good luck to you and I hope you get a spot somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks! I don't mean to sound like a total Debbie Downer, but...well...

Thanks for sharing your experience. I find it unfortunate that you had to figure all of this out on your own, sometimes on the fly, but I hope things work out.

From the other match thread in EM, I'm guessing you managed to scramble for one of the Vegas positions? If so, how did you go about doing it?

I'll bite.

Throw is tons of EMS experiance and that is my story as well.

Looking for an Intern year right now and trying again next year.

sorry you guys had a hard time with the match. I had avg comlex/usmle2 only/grades, nothing to write home about, tons of clinical exp, did 7 EM audition sub-I rotations at DO friendly places, very strong SLOR's/LOR's, A's/honors on all rotations. applied to 40 places with strict criteria like volume, fellowship, location, rotations, electives....etc. 21 interviews, went to 18, ranked 9. no problem getting #1. good luck! feel free to PM

Im a DO student and I matched at my second choice in the allopathic match :). My USMLE scores where 203 step 1 and 227 step 2. I got SLORs from the residency director & ass. residency director at the hospital that I did my 1st EM rotation (which was an osteopathic residency). I matched at a place that I rotated so that mite have helped me.

I'm a DO student as well.

School: Touro-CA. Grades: top 15% of the class; USMLE Step I: 223; USMLE Step 2: 226; COMLEX I: 588; COMLEX II: 550; Passed PE; Strong SLORs (as a DO, you need at least 3 SLOR from reputable people). I applied to programs around 4 major cities (because my husband is applying for post-docs around the same time). Auditions: Stanford and Boston Medical Center, Ultrasound: Irvine; I had interviews at great programs: Boston Medical, LAC+USC, UCLA-Olive View, Stanford, G-Town, Hopkins, Baystate, UCSF-Fresno, Kern, a few others. Of note: some of the programs that accepted me for interviews would not let me rotate there :) In terms of timing of interviews, I was granted some interviews before/around Nov 1, but I needed to ask for an interview at 2 programs, and an attending offered to make a call to another program. ALL the places I interviewed were ecstatic about having a DO in the program (either a past DO rocked their program, or they were willing to take a risk). BUT: you need to be a STELLAR applicant to get the interviews! Everyone is looking at your every move (interviews and audition rotations). You will be asked on EVERY interview why an osteopathic medical school. At some auditions/interviews, you will be told that their program NEVER takes DOs. Just be prepared to give a good answer (but not a smart *** comment). If you are genuine, hard working, compassionate, easy to work with, do extra reading, come in early, leave late, attend every optional lecture/activity, do a regular volunteer project, publish an article, do research, attend conferences, etc...your options will be endless. When I started this process last year, I never thought that I would be interviewed at so many great places. Even more, I never thought I would be recruited :) And finally, I never thought I would match at my #1 :) If you want more advice, send me a PM :)

PS: My other EM friends in the class interviewed at other great programs (in Portland, NYC, Phili, Chicago, NM, Denver)...one matched at OHSU, another at Maimonides, and the last at Resurrection.

I'll bite as well. I agree with a lot of what has already been said. You do have to be a very good applicant. If you're average or below average, either consider the other match or work your tail off. I cast a wide net and applied to 45 programs. Got interview offers from 36, cancelled about half. Step I-234 Step 2-258. Was told I had really good SLORs, though I never read them. Matched at my #1 and was extremely happy.

What seemed most important to me when I went on interviews was the SLORs. They seemed to be mentioned more often than anything else, though board scores had been mentioned at a few places as well. Basically, I think that the stuff on paper gets your foot in the door and then you have to sell the heck out of yourself after that. Also, you MUST, MUST, MUST take the USMLE. Some don't require it, but they love you when you take it. Many programs I interviewed at mentioned that they require step I USMLE and that they were very happy that I took both.

I would HIGHLY recommend doing at least two aways, one being at a DO friendly program (which should be determined by DO residents in the program) and really work hard to impress at your aways. It's the highest yield thing that you can do.

Hope everyone did well in the match and good luck to those participating next year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Can any DO or MD students comment on Denver's rotation and how receptive they were to DO students and their general feelings on the program?

At this point, some advice from a DO EM PGY 4:

Look at some of the DO EM residency programs and see if there's any transitional year spots open at them. It may help you open doors to an EM residency because some of the programs may have some flexibility to shift unused FP/IM/etc slots towards EM so they don't lose funding.

So i'm a DO student as well.

grades: top 30%. Really no extracurricular activities except for playing sports. I chose not to pay to participate in a lot of clubs. usmle I-223, II-238. comlex I-609, II-489. I dont know what the hell happened. Did 3 away rotations, all HP. Two DO friendly, one not so much. Fairly avg SLORs. So my application was fairly avg. nothing too impressive. Applied 33 programs, although in retrospect should've applied to more, interviewed at 9; ranked 9. Matched at my# 2 where i did not rotate.

My advice: Apply early; do more extracurriculars; take USMLE- no matter what anyone says. Be realistic- dont apply to too many programs who have rarely had DOs unless you rotate there and get a good vibe. Do the best on audition rotations. Maybe do a rotation first at a place where you aren't too interested in and get the most experience without having to worry about looking bad.

Goodluck everyone for the next year!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys, this is really helpful for those of us who'd be applying next year.

I was middle of the class. Did not take USMLE. COMLEX Level 1- 508, COMLEX Level 2- 631. Had excellent LOR's. 8 years of experience in EMS. Only did 2 EM rotations as a fourth year (all my school would allow). I did not match last year and did a traditional rotating internship. Though I thought it was at the time, it was not the end of the world. I worked hard and got in good with the Medical Director of the ED of my hospital. I had my Program Director write a new LOR and the Medical Director personally called other Program Directors for me. I ended up matching this year at UH/Case Western. The fact that I have done an internship is going to be a tremendous asset for me, and will hopefully set me ahead of the pack. For those of you who didn't match, don't worry too much, just work your ass off in your internships and you will eventually be rewarded. Good luck to all.

P.S.- If you are applying at a program that requires you to take the USMLE, it means that they are unfamiliar with the COMLEX, and chances are they are not going to take a DO anyway, so don't waste your time.

I was middle of the class. Did not take USMLE. COMLEX Level 1- 508, COMLEX Level 2- 631. Had excellent LOR's. 8 years of experience in EMS. Only did 2 EM rotations as a fourth year (all my school would allow). I did not match last year and did a traditional rotating internship. Though I thought it was at the time, it was not the end of the world. I worked hard and got in good with the Medical Director of the ED of my hospital. I had my Program Director write a new LOR and the Medical Director personally called other Program Directors for me. I ended up matching this year at UH/Case Western. The fact that I have done an internship is going to be a tremendous asset for me, and will hopefully set me ahead of the pack. For those of you who didn't match, don't worry too much, just work your ass off in your internships and you will eventually be rewarded. Good luck to all.

P.S.- If you are applying at a program that requires you to take the USMLE, it means that they are unfamiliar with the COMLEX, and chances are they are not going to take a DO anyway, so don't waste your time.

Just wanted to throw in that I respectfully disagree with the above bold. I think taking the usmle opens a lot of doors (thus interviews). More importantly, there are a number of programs that may not explicitly say "only usmle accepted" and may even mention that comlex or usmle is acceptable, but in reality they look much more favorably upon DO applicants who have taken and successfully conquered the usmle. This is the distinct impression I got on the interview trail.

Others can feel free to chime in.

I needed to come back to this thread now that I've a) settled down with the fact that I didn't match and b) gotten a position at a traditional rotating internship so I can breathe again.

I realize that I may have come across as blaming my DO-ness for where I ended up in the match, and I definitely do not believe that. Do I think it played a role, and more of one than I thought it did (and should)? Absolutely. But the big thing here is that I was not a stellar DO student, and trying to get into a competitive specialty via the MD route wasn't a great idea. Completely my responsibility and a reflection of my hubris, not anyone else's hangup about DOs. Come next year I'll be more prudent in my selection process and apply more widely.

Just wanted to throw in that I respectfully disagree with the above bold. I think taking the usmle opens a lot of doors (thus interviews). More importantly, there are a number of programs that may not explicitly say "only usmle accepted" and may even mention that comlex or usmle is acceptable, but in reality they look much more favorably upon DO applicants who have taken and successfully conquered the usmle. This is the distinct impression I got on the interview trail.

Others can feel free to chime in.
:thumbup: felt the same way on the trail. no one commented on my comlex score but they did about usmle. if you're planning on entering the MD world, you should take the MD exam. just make sure you do well on the usmle. it's the only exam that matters in the MD world and if you "just pass", it'll sink you. most don't understand a comlex but they do know what a low usmle score means, it's truly comparing apples to oranges. I know, there's a conversion scale but it's totally 2 separate exams. so if you don't think you'll do well, don't take it, use your time to nail the comlex instead.

I needed to come back to this thread now that I've a) settled down with the fact that I didn't match and b) gotten a position at a traditional rotating internship so I can breathe again.

I realize that I may have come across as blaming my DO-ness for where I ended up in the match, and I definitely do not believe that. Do I think it played a role, and more of one than I thought it did (and should)? Absolutely. But the big thing here is that I was not a stellar DO student, and trying to get into a competitive specialty via the MD route wasn't a great idea. Completely my responsibility and a reflection of my hubris, not anyone else's hangup about DOs. Come next year I'll be more prudent in my selection process and apply more widely.

I got my Intern slot, so I too am a lot more relaxed.

I honestly feel me not matching was my own fault. I really didn't take it seriously. I was 100% sure I was going to match at my #1 because I rotated there tons and was told by the faculty and residents that I was going to be there next year. In fact when I told the residents I didn't match they thought I was joking.

I put all my eggs in one basket and paid the price for it. I will not make that mistake again next year.

I put all my eggs in one basket and paid the price for it. I will not make that mistake again next year.

So how many programs did you put on your ROL? Also how many programs did you apply/interview at? Sorry to hear you didn't match. Wish you the best of luck next year!

So how many programs did you put on your ROL? Also how many programs did you apply/interview at? Sorry to hear you didn't match. Wish you the best of luck next year!

6 interviews and 6 on my ROL.

Applied to 20 something.

So here's what I'm hearing:

1) Take the USMLE. Try to kick ass.

2) Schedule your EM rotations smart. Places you want to do residency, have a history of DO friendliness, and outwardly express DO friendliness.

3) Kick ass on your EM rotations--show up early, stay late, go to all optional things.

4) Do EM related rotations at places you want to do residency and are DO friendly (Trauma, Ultrasound...). Again kick ass.

5) Get rocking SLOR's, at least 4, from the above rotations.

6) Kick ass on all other clinical grades.

7) Apply broad and apply smart. The numbers I seem to be getting here are 30+ or 40+. Apply mostly to programs that are DO friendly in history or expression.

8) Be a normal person and act professionally on your interviews.

Obviously easier said than done. A few questions:
--Which Chicago residencies are DO friendly? I've got this dream of ending up at Christ.
--What should I do for my 4 week 3rd year elective. I was thinking anesthesiology at Stroger...it's in December, and we're only allowed to do 2 electives in one given non-primary care specialty. So EM is not the best idea, I don't think.
--Regarding SLORs--is your right to see them waived? Or does it vary from SLOR to SLOR.

2) Schedule your EM rotations smart. Places you want to do residency, have a history of DO friendliness, and outwardly express DO friendliness.

3) Kick ass on your EM rotations--show up early, stay late, go to all optional things.

4) Do EM related rotations at places you want to do residency and are DO friendly (Trauma, Ultrasound...). Again kick ass.

7) Apply broad and apply smart. The numbers I seem to be getting here are 30+ or 40+. Apply mostly to programs that are DO friendly in history or expression.

--Which Chicago residencies are DO friendly? I've got this dream of ending up at Christ.
--What should I do for my 4 week 3rd year elective. I was thinking anesthesiology at Stroger...it's in December, and we're only allowed to do 2 electives in one given non-primary care specialty. So EM is not the best idea, I don't think.
--Regarding SLORs--is your right to see them waived? Or does it vary from SLOR to SLOR.
:thumbup: you got it! that's pretty much what I did, i am from a new school and got into a competitive allo EM that historically only slots 1 DO/yr from this other xcom.
-if you want to do EM (but not EM) in your 3rd yr look for a critical care month that is ran by EM physicians. VCU and st lukes-pa has one. or rad/ultrasound, tox, research, hyperbaric medicine. that will give you some face time without officially doing an ED rotation
-I am doing gas now, it's heavy on physio/pharm basic sciences. if you're up for it, it's a fantastic experience but I don't think it's going to do anything for EM. the most I do in the ED is trauma call, tube, then run back to the OR area
-my PD friends have told me it raises red flags when you don't waive your letters. they wonder what do you have to hide? it a small thing but a possible influence.

Last edited:

1) Resurrection, UIC and Cook have a few DOs. I think Christ has 1.
2) Save the EM for 4th year. Do whatever you want for the elective, something you're interested in. Anesthesia sounds reasonable, but it's up to you. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
3) I waived mine. I haven't heard anything either way, but assumed that if I hadn't waived them that it would appear I was cherry picking my letters.
3a)Make sure you get an EM SLOR from each program you rotate at. I was told from a program (that I rotated at) that 'it looks fishy' when a student doesn't have a letter from a place they rotated at.
4)Enjoy 3rd year, make sure EM is definitely what you want to do, you may find something else that you love.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I decided to post after all this is how I got all of my information for this year.
As for the scores COMLEX1 above avg COMLEX2 well above avg USMLE1 Avg USMLE2 Above avg. Passed COMLEX PE and USMLE CS. Middle of my class. High 90's on all of my clinicals during 3rd year. High 90's on my home EM clinical other two were my electives so no grade. My two electives were at Cook County were I got a letter of recommendation and the other was at the University of Rochester. Other letters were from an EM doc at my home rotation, an OB/GYN, and a Pediatrician. I applied to 50 programs 10 Osteo and 40 Allo. I was offered 29 interviews I went on 18. I ranked 13 programs and matched my top choice at the University of Rochester.

So my two cents are make sure to study hard and do well on Step 2 COMLEX and USMLE its weighed heavier than Step 1 at a lot of programs. Also do not listen to anyone that says if they don't take the COMLEX they aren't DO friendly it's not true. It’s just a professional courtesy. Hey you are applying to their residency the least you can do is take their exam after all you are studying the same information. Rotate at a place were you will get a great letter of recommendation from a known name in the field this always helps, but a great letter is a great letter. Last but not least when you are applying apply broadly and to a lot of programs its better to turn down interviews then to not get enough.

Well if there is any questions feel free to PM me especially if there are any CCOMers with questions. I'm always willing to help classmates.

msmentor-

Yes, as in....should take usmle 2? I am under the impression that taking it nov 30th, it will not factor into my application too much. I really dont want to take yet another test and pay 500 bucks to do so. I was hoping to show that the tests are similar enough iwth step 1.

I noticed you are a bit more hardcore than some (7 auditions if I remember right?!) so I am wondering what others think as well. I appreciate your response and may in the end take 2 but looking for a good excuse not to...
congrats on getting your number 1. awesome.
best

Last edited:
msmentor-

Yes, as in....should take usmle 2? I am under the impression that taking it nov 30th, it will not factor into my application too much. I really dont want to take yet another test and pay 500 bucks to do so. I was hoping to show that the tests are similar enough iwth step 1.

I noticed you are a bit more hardcore than some (7 auditions if I remember right?!) so I am wondering what others think as well. I appreciate your response and may in the end take 2 but looking for a good excuse not to...
congrats on getting your number 1. awesome.
best
sorry i forgot the dec 2 part.....hmmmm, that'll be late for interview purposes but it will be there when they meet and make their rank list (roughly in feb). statistically you should go up on your scores. I would err on the side of caution and say to take it. you wouldn't want a place to deny you or have any doubt for not taking it (ex; UAMS requires both). it's a pain in the butt and $$ but a small price to pay for your #1

yeah I did 7, i wanted to check the places out for myself and make a decision, esp between the DO vs MD route. also my gpa/scores are avg, nothing that would impress anyone. I am glad i did, everyone's got a diff opinion on what they feel is important and having a med background, mine's definitely skewed. good luck!

One thing I learned, that might influence your decision, MountainEM, is that in order to be ACGME board certified, you have to take all 3 steps of the USMLE. So even if you do an MD residency, you will still be board certified by the AOA in EM. *I should note that I just heard this from a very trusted source rather than looking it up.

I think you can take comlex 3 and still be board certified by ABEM. If you do an ACGME or AOA residency you have to take your EM boards before you can practice and ABEM, ABOEM are the licensing boards for allo and osteo residencies.

One thing I learned, that might influence your decision, MountainEM, is that in order to be ACGME board certified, you have to take all 3 steps of the USMLE. So even if you do an MD residency, you will still be board certified by the AOA in EM. *I should note that I just heard this from a very trusted source rather than looking it up.

step 1-
usmle 246/99
comlex 690

do I really need to take usmle 2? I dont want to waste the money or time. Thinking about taking just comlex 2 but I am applying to all allo. I am taking step 2 in november...

cheers

NO, you don't need to take step 2, especially with a step one score like that. I had a usmle step one score of 235, comlex I 635, comlex 2 745. I did 3 away rotations at ED programs that I was interested in. Honored all three and Got SLORs from the first two. It was into interview season already, so I declined the third letter, though it was offered. I applied to 40 programs. Looking back it was probably overkill, but better safe than sorry. Was offered interviews at 36. Of those 40, there was only one program that required step 2 of the usmle. I went to 11 interviews and ranked all 11programs. When you end up declining 20 or more interviews, it seems that missing out on ONE interview because of no usmle step 2 is really not a big deal (unless it is the one program you would sell your soul to get into). Save your money and 8 hours of testing. Personally, I think 2 away rotations are probably sufficient if you perform well. I did three just to improve my chances. In the end, the program I ranked number 1 and then matched at wasn't even one of the three I rotated through. Of all the things in my application file, I felt my two SLORs mattered more than scores, grades, etc. Every interviewer commented on my letters, but only two ever mentioned board scores. Of all the DOs i know personally that matched ER, none took usmle step 2. Your step one tells the programs what they need to know.

I think you can take comlex 3 and still be board certified by ABEM. If you do an ACGME or AOA residency you have to take your EM boards before you can practice and ABEM, ABOEM are the licensing boards for allo and osteo residencies.

Thanks for the clarification.

I would 3rd that you don't need to take step 2. I took it late as I didn't want to it to go down and it didn't change anything as far as I could tell, just a waste of 500 bucks. No one even asked about my step 2 on the interview trail. Also wanted to reaffirm that you definitely do not need all steps of the USMLE to get board certified from an ACGME program.

No.

Whoa! False information alert.

You can take only COMLEX 3 and still be certified by ABEM. However, you need to graduate from an ACGME residency to be ABEM eligible and likewise with AOA/ABOEM.
You CAN practice prior to boarding in either ABEM or ABOEM. You just won't be board certified, which would limit you when applying for jobs.

The 3rd year who told me this is looking to go into internal medicine. So maybe it's specific to that, or maybe it's totally false. Either way, didn't intend to turn this into a certification thread. Apologies.

Sooo, I'll jump on this as well with a more detailed question of my situation. I am a DO student and heavily interested in EMed in Philly. and would like to be able to at least have the option of keeping doors open at places like Drexer/Hahnehman and Temple (in general, ACGME, but not "ivy-ish"). I have strong grades in M1 and 2, but am not incredibly confident in my boards ability/standardaized testing. I've heard just taking the USMLE step 2 might be agood option and DO's tend to do better on it. Thoughts?

I have strong grades in M1 and 2, but am not incredibly confident in my boards ability/standardaized testing. I've heard just taking the USMLE step 2 might be agood option and DO's tend to do better on it. Thoughts?
that is true, the exams begin to become a little more similar as the steps increase. comlex is still poorly written. its only effective if you do well. the last thing you want to do is bomb a test the MD programs know how to interpret. that's what i did and it worked out fine

Sooo, I'll jump on this as well with a more detailed question of my situation. I am a DO student and heavily interested in EMed in Philly. and would like to be able to at least have the option of keeping doors open at places like Drexer/Hahnehman and Temple (in general, ACGME, but not "ivy-ish"). I have strong grades in M1 and 2, but am not incredibly confident in my boards ability/standardaized testing. I've heard just taking the USMLE step 2 might be agood option and DO's tend to do better on it. Thoughts?

I don't know if DO's tend to do better on it, but I know several people that only took the USMLE step 2 and matched into good EM programs from that. I think the programs just want to see your scores from a USMLE test. Take whichever you feel you do better on it. It is probably easier to do better on step 2 because people don't study nearly as hard for it in general, so if you study your butt off you can do well.

The passing rate for DO's on the USMLE Step II is better than Step I. Something like 82% vs 87% (not exactly sure).

Isn't a bit of that just self-selection bias? The ones who fail Step I don't end up taking Step II?

It could be, although I think more of it has to do with the material in the tests. Step I is more heavy in the basic sciences which puts DO's at a disadvantage since their Biochem is usually not as emphasized as MD schools.

Step II is more clinical based which would seem to be a more even playing ground since clinical training is similar and often DO's and MD's share the same rotation sites.

Alright guys, I have a dilemma, about what to do in july of my m4 year. I can either schedule an audition EM elective at a program i'm interested in and get an early SLOR, or I could just take this month off for board studying, which will then give me adequate study time to take the usmle 2 in addition to the comlex. Otherwise, I do not plan on taking step 2 of the usmle, b/c of inadequate prep time and resources. My usmle 1 score is average. What will help me more, an early audition with an slor at a do friendly program, or a great step 2 usmle?

Alright guys, I have a dilemma, about what to do in july of my m4 year. I can either schedule an audition EM elective at a program i'm interested in and get an early SLOR, or I could just take this month off for board studying, which will then give me adequate study time to take the usmle 2 in addition to the comlex. Otherwise, I do not plan on taking step 2 of the usmle, b/c of inadequate prep time and resources. My usmle 1 score is average. What will help me more, an early audition with an slor at a do friendly program, or a great step 2 usmle?
if you're doing one in july. make sure you're prepped and ready so you can nail it, otherwise you're throwing your chances down the toilet. there will be new interns coming in for orientation which will clog up the ER. that can be good or bad. on the other hand...scores help get you the interview, SLOR will help lock in the spot. with an avg step I, step 2 is where you need to make up some ground. esp if you end up not matching (or wanting) DO and go MD.

I'd go with the scores, apply for the DO match, then quickly get that audition spot, and go back and add your SLOR to it. by then interviews should start and you're on your way. I think DO interviews starts around sep?

if you're doing one in july. make sure you're prepped and ready so you can nail it, otherwise you're throwing your chances down the toilet. there will be new interns coming in for orientation which will clog up the ER. that can be good or bad. on the other hand...scores help get you the interview, SLOR will help lock in the spot. with an avg step I, step 2 is where you need to make up some ground. esp if you end up not matching (or wanting) DO and go MD.

I'd go with the scores, apply for the DO match, then quickly get that audition spot, and go back and add your SLOR to it. by then interviews should start and you're on your way. I think DO interviews starts around sep?

Thanks for the feedback.

My problem is that in august, i have to do a rural medicine rotation required by my school. Sep-Dec, i've scheduled em electives. So, I can get a slor from my sep rotation, but oct maybe pushing it for the nov deadline to get a second slor in.

Thanks for the feedback.

My problem is that in august, i have to do a rural medicine rotation required by my school. Sep-Dec, i've scheduled em electives. So, I can get a slor from my sep rotation, but oct maybe pushing it for the nov deadline to get a second slor in.
yeah, oct is a little on the late side (you can hand carry some too). rural medicine = rural ER....maybe one that has a residency program for a SLOR. sell that one to your school and see what they say. I just finished participating in a SLOR study, read through hundreds of them, interviews, gathered data...etc. not all SLOR's are helpful, depending on how you did on the rotation. if you think you can impress, do it but if you're not up to snuff and get a mediocre SLOR, you're screwed. I'd stick with getting good scores.

Much appreciated, thanks a lot for your advice.

Alright guys, so what is the deal with ERAS and SLORS? Do I have to have every single SLOR downloaded onto ERAS by November 1? What if I get one a little later, would I be allowed to upload it still? If I can't do that, can I mail to residency progams?

You can upload it whenever it become available, and most programs will get an update. My SLOR didn't come in until kinda late, and I got two more interviews immediately afterwards from places that had told me that it was required.

Alright guys, so what is the deal with ERAS and SLORS? Do I have to have every single SLOR downloaded onto ERAS by November 1? What if I get one a little later, would I be allowed to upload it still? If I can't do that, can I mail to residency progams?
you can upload as many as you want but only able to send 4 to each place. send your 4 strongest, then hand carry the rest (or send it) and give it to them during the interview