DOs Residency Merger with ACGME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you were done with this thread? Why are you calling a poster who is a 3rd/4th medical student a kid? No one gives a F about your doctorate. With the massive degree creep everyone and their mother has some random doctorate. If you had a PhD in advanced physics that would impress me. Hell, if you had your masters in advanced physics that would impress me. However, knowing you got a freaking 28 on the MCAT leads me to believe that is not that case. Keep digging, "kid."

He got the Md, but he also got the 100k in debt from undergrad/Ph. D and 5+ years of lost salary as an attending. Sound decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's get some facts straight:
1. I never said that I would never respect DO's. I work for a DO. I simply said that the majority of DO students are forced to apply DO after failing to receive an MD acceptance (even after numerous cycles).
2. I realize that my MCAT is on the low side. Notice that I don't offer any excuses like the ones that pervade through the osteopathic forum regarding "how the MD process is just so unfair to me!". Grow up. I'm from the left coast and still have 2. Let's hear some more excuses....
3. Although my MCAT is on the low side, I obviously had something else to offer. There is more to an application than MCAT, and once you receive a 27+, success differences between the scoring scales are negligible (per AAMC 2015 MCAT pdf).
4. You are all hypocrites. You hate my "view of DO's", but you use the very same attitude towards "pre-meds" (i.e. thinking that you are better simply because you are in medical school). I have a doctorate. I could very well walk into whatever Podunk town you attend school in and obtain a job to teach you. If you are simply a medical student without an advanced degree, you are essentially useless until you obtain your advanced degree. Being a medical student means NOTHING.
5. I realize that some people chose DO. Great, whatever works. I had applied DO myself but thankfully had other options. Is it a viable career path worth respect? Absolutely. Are you a physician? You bet. However, when I said that DO schools generally pick up the scraps, I was not wrong. If MD schools opened up their classes and gave all DO students the option of transferring...how many DO schools would remain open? A couple? Moreover, if the majority of students at DO schools go DO after not gaining an MD acceptance, what are those DO schools picking up? Leftovers? Scraps? People who decided that DO was a better option? Whatever term you want to use, it is what it is.
6. The kid giving me the 'gas' above is the same person who tells people who pick DO over MD that they are crazy. Like I said, a lot of the stigma comes from within...between the self-hate, excuses, and cries for self-validation, is it any wonder why anyone who has the option would throw away their DO acceptance the minute they obtain an MD?
It'll be really funny when all of us DO students who were able to break the 30 mark on the MCAT and are obliterating our coursework, get great board scores and match into awesome ACGME residencies because of this merger, and force you to take a spot in a residency filled with IMGs, assuming you even make it far enough in school to take the boards. Then you'll have your humility checked and you'll see that we did not simply settle but that sometimes there are other circumstances at play that you fortunately have not had to deal with. You act like we all come from the same background, but what's important is where you end up, not where you've been, and medical school, be it MD or DO is merely a means to an end. Oh and for the record I also have an advanced degree in science from a top 25 university, thanks.

It'll be really funny when all of us DO students who were able to break the 30 mark on the MCAT and are obliterating our coursework, get great board scores and match into awesome ACGME residencies because of this merger, and force you to take a spot in a residency filled with IMGs, assuming you even make it far enough in school to take the boards. Then you'll have your humility checked and you'll see that we did not simply settle but that sometimes there are other circumstances at play that you fortunately have not had to deal with. You act like we all come from the same background, but what's important is where you end up, not where you've been, and medical school, be it MD or DO is merely a means to an end. Oh and for the record I also have an advanced degree in science from a top 25 university, thanks.
Yes yes SDN is well aware of the DO plans for world domination. You will beat out all of the MD's that you originally could not beat out during the medical school application cycle to get the residencies of your dreams.

Good luck to all...this is just getting boring now.

Reactions: 1 user
You are so fixated on that 28. You seriously have no idea how much pleasure you give me, because I know how much butthurt it causes you. C'mon, you can tell me...you thought about it while in bed last night, didn't you? I scored a 'lowly' 28 and you scored much higher BUT still couldn't seal the deal after MULTIPLE attempts. I don't blame you...it is embarrassing. You must have handed in a really repulsive application, no? Or are you going the route of "the world isn't fair to JW3600!"?

And I will absolutely take the debt and my PhD over being a DO (any day of the week). You are even more repugnant than me because you stick up for a profession that you freely insult (you have essentially told RogerDoc that he is an idiot on more than one occasion for choosing DO over MD). You obviously are not proud of your degree. And newsflash, it doesn't matter what you scored on the MCAT, because you are a DO my friend. You will automatically be viewed as less smart than any MD (even one who scored a 28). If you and I were to go to an undergraduate event offering advice on how to get into medical school, your line would be empty or full or 'fratter's' who simply couldn't hand in their homework and study.

It's ok, fixate on my 28. I can sleep at night...

Well you obviously didn't get your Ph.D in economics. I have never "freely insulted" the D.O. degree...we are both in the same profession...kid. Yes, I have said that if you get an M.D. acceptance then you should go M.D. and I still say that. That isn't insulting the degree, that is just saying that having the letters "MD" behind your name make it SEEM like you're better than a D.O., when that isn't that case many times (let's use you as an example).
If you wanna come back in 2 years after you take the USMLE and compare scores and then compare which specialties we go into, please come back and share that information. I'd love to hear it.

And again, since you don't seem to understand...there is much more that goes into an MD acceptance than stats. If you have residence in some states, for example you pretty much get accepted to med school no matter what with MCAT scores lower than yours (surprisingly). So you're saying that those M.D. students are smarter than the D.O. who went to a established D.O. school from a top 10 undergrad with an above average MCAT and didn't get in because they live in a medical school applicant hell hole?

Well you obviously didn't get your Ph.D in economics. I have never "freely insulted" the D.O. degree...we are both in the same profession...kid. Yes, I have said that if you get an M.D. acceptance then you should go M.D. and I still say that. That isn't insulting the degree, that is just saying that having the letters "MD" behind your name make it SEEM like you're better than a D.O., when that isn't that case many times (let's use you as an example).
If you wanna come back in 2 years after you take the USMLE and compare scores and then compare which specialties we go into, please come back and share that information. I'd love to hear it.
Ok fine, like I said...this is boring and out of hand. lol and you are correct, it was not in economics, unfortunately.

Yes yes SDN is well aware of the DO plans for world domination. You will beat out all of the MD's that you originally could not beat out during the medical school application cycle to get the residencies of your dreams.

Dude you are sick. I can foresee a future of sick physicians instead of sick patients. Y'all need to cut the crap because being a physician is a freaking career. No one in the real world give a crap whether you are MD or DO.

Reactions: 3 users

This is the classic fallacy in MD admissions, that the applicant to medical school in front of them is the same person as that dumb 18 year old kid who got a few bad grades coming out of high school. When you're from a crazy premed state like me, that is a death sentence. Well most of us mature in our 20s bud and yes we can beat out the majority of the kids who were just better groomed for medical school right away and got into the MD schools. I'm not saying that's all of us but there are quite a few of us. How you think you're going to compete against your classmates who are studs going into med school and keep it up, as well as those of us who are studs IN med school, is beyond me. Good luck buddy. Oh and this is only getting boring for you because that's what happens when you lose, things get boring. Go start brushing up on your basic sciences.

Status
Not open for further replies.