1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DO's with research careers

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by pathdr2b, Sep 24, 2002.

1. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any DO's pursuing careers in research, either with the federal government or at academic institutions.

Thanks!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. neuropsych

neuropsych Member
    7+ Year Member

Dr. Kevin Felice, D.O. is a neuromuscular neurologist at UConn who has a pretty extensive research program in neuromuscular neurology. He's also a really nice guy who is very enthusiastic about osteopathic medicine. Here's a link:

http://www.uchc.edu/neurology/felice.html

4. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

really, too many to mention, though they tend to only have graduated from a subset of the DO schools (note I say "tend" - or someones gonna post a response listing a researcher from each and every one... ;) )

5. neuropsych

neuropsych Member
    7+ Year Member

I think NYCOM has some research faculty doing work on Parkinson's Disease. Research is in dire need of revitalization in osteopathic medicine. An entire issue of "The DO" was dedicated to this a few months ago.

6. s42brown

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey check out KCOM's web site.

www.kcom.edu

Click on the teaching and research link on the left hand column. Once the page opens click on Research and Scholarship. This lists all of the faculty conducting research and the recent grants they have received. I know that KCOM got 5 million last year in research awards. I hope this gives some insight into the extend of the research conducted at KCOM alone.

7. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

8. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

hmmm, we should distinguish here between

1. research on osteopathy
    2. research at osteopathic institutions
    3. research by osteopths

#1 not that there isn't any decent research testing OMM but to date it has been limited. This is pretty pitiful, but AACOM and the profession at large seem to have realized that "because we say so" isn't quite good enough and really are pulling themselves up by their shirt tails. Significant funds and effort are now being pooled and a national research effort being undertaken. Look on www.aacom.org under 'research' to see more.

#2 varies widely by institution but even the lead osteopathic 'research' schools sorely lag even most non-reseach allopathic schools (see nones post above, with which I agree completely). That's not to say worthwhile research is not done at osteopathic institutions, it is and is increasing at some (see point #1). Many osteopathic institutions, however, this just isn't their focus.

#3 some osteopaths do research at osteopathic institutions however there are many, many more research opportunities, and thus many research osteopaths, at allopathic institutions. Many osteopths do great research in many fields.

9. neuropsych

neuropsych Member
    7+ Year Member