DO's with research careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any DO's pursuing careers in research, either with the federal government or at academic institutions.

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Kevin Felice, D.O. is a neuromuscular neurologist at UConn who has a pretty extensive research program in neuromuscular neurology. He's also a really nice guy who is very enthusiastic about osteopathic medicine. Here's a link:

http://www.uchc.edu/neurology/felice.html

Originally posted by pathdr2b
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any DO's pursuing careers in research, either with the federal government or at academic institutions.

Thanks!!!!

really, too many to mention, though they tend to only have graduated from a subset of the DO schools (note I say "tend" - or someones gonna post a response listing a researcher from each and every one... ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
I think NYCOM has some research faculty doing work on Parkinson's Disease. Research is in dire need of revitalization in osteopathic medicine. An entire issue of "The DO" was dedicated to this a few months ago.

Hey check out KCOM's web site.

www.kcom.edu

Click on the teaching and research link on the left hand column. Once the page opens click on Research and Scholarship. This lists all of the faculty conducting research and the recent grants they have received. I know that KCOM got 5 million last year in research awards. I hope this gives some insight into the extend of the research conducted at KCOM alone.

hmmm, we should distinguish here between

1. research on osteopathy
2. research at osteopathic institutions
3. research by osteopths

#1 not that there isn't any decent research testing OMM but to date it has been limited. This is pretty pitiful, but AACOM and the profession at large seem to have realized that "because we say so" isn't quite good enough and really are pulling themselves up by their shirt tails. Significant funds and effort are now being pooled and a national research effort being undertaken. Look on www.aacom.org under 'research' to see more.

#2 varies widely by institution but even the lead osteopathic 'research' schools sorely lag even most non-reseach allopathic schools (see nones post above, with which I agree completely). That's not to say worthwhile research is not done at osteopathic institutions, it is and is increasing at some (see point #1). Many osteopathic institutions, however, this just isn't their focus.

#3 some osteopaths do research at osteopathic institutions however there are many, many more research opportunities, and thus many research osteopaths, at allopathic institutions. Many osteopths do great research in many fields.