Double Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilburSK

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello forum,

Long time lurker on this board. I have learned a ton from your posts, and I hope to see your specific responses to my question. I am a rising M4 at a reputable but not top 20 medical school in the south.

My STEP 1 was a 230 and I am in the top 1/3 of my class. 3rd year is a spattering of honors and high passes. I have 4 pubs (1 first author) and 2 upcoming ophtho pubs (1 poster at ARVO and 1 in a smaller journal). I have decent community service (leader at free clinic amongst other things).

My struggle is regarding whether I should dual apply or not. I know that I am barely above the 226 mark of the average unmatched STEP score, so I know that I am a bit of a long shot. I am very dedicated to pursuing ophtho, so I would be willing to postpone graduation to do research or do the post-graduation fellowship in order to take at least 2 shots at ophtho matching.

But on the other hand, I could probably match pretty well with internal with my first shot, and I don't want to end up in some terrible internal med shop cause I didn't apply as an M4.

What do you guys think? Anybody have to deal with dual applying? With my stats, should i definitely dual apply to be safe?

Members don't see this ad.

Is my situation that bad?

i think you have a good chance of matching if you apply broadly. you need to talk to the pd or chair at your school to figure this out, they'll have a good idea about how the match will go for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think you have a good chance if you apply broadly because of all your research. Your Step 1 is a on the lower side but will probably not get you screened you out of most places. Your research is a huge plus, though. That will probably save you and allow you to match to a good program. While Step 1 is always important, it doesn't seem to matter to a certain extent when lots of research is involved. Programs seem to looovvee lots of research.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! It is pretty discouraging to read the scores for folks matching into ophtho. With that in mind would you suggest:

1) dual apply
2) apply ophtho; if not matching, then try to defer graduation and take the year to do research
3) if not matching, apply for the post grad fellowship

Thanks!

Thanks, that's what I'm leaning towards. Are there any resources that display the STEP 1 score for applicants interviewed at the different residencies?

I know that there is some review site that allows for self reported scores, but I have since forgotten its name. Does anyone know what I am referring to?

That's exactly the one. I wonder if it is down for good or it is just a momentary lapse

I have a related question if any one could lend some input. Since we don't apply through ERAS, can we still send in applications to another specialty through ERAS and then not submit a rank list if we match ophtho? I know it would be expensive and has some other risks, but it would be nice to have a plan B.

I have a related question if any one could lend some input. Since we don't apply through ERAS, can we still send in applications to another specialty through ERAS and then not submit a rank list if we match ophtho? I know it would be expensive and has some other risks, but it would be nice to have a plan B.

Yes, you can do that. Double applying is a lot of work, but worth it if you aren't a strong applicant. Just be sure that your alternate specialty is a good fit.

You can do that.

My opinion is that it's a bad idea to dual apply. You need to be all in - put everything you have into the ophtho match if ophthalmology is your true passion. Putting in 50% on two different specialties may make you dissapointed with both results.

Pick the specialty you want and go for it. If you're unsuccessful that's the time to think about plan B (research/pre residency fellowship vs alternate path).

You got enough goods to match somewhere. Cant guarantee where so apply broadly. Would not double apply were I you.