Double Major Bio/Psych

LilyVerlaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably going to sound really silly, but I'm kind of having a brain fart when it comes to this decision. I decided to back out of a BMSc program at UWO because I wasn't extremely interested in the modules they presented me with. I was more interested in a Neuroscience (Which is actually a BA program, surprisingly) and was told that if I wanted to get the best of both worlds I should major in Biology and major in Psych. Therefore, I get my psychology courses that I really enjoy, and I get a larger spectrum of biology courses I can take (the BMSc ones are still available to me, I just don't have to take every single one of them, eliminating taking some courses I would dread being in due to severe lack of interest)

I can't get a hold of an academic counsellor, but I was just wondering. Majoring in Biology and Majoring in Psych would get me where? What would I end up with when I have all of my credits? Just two majors? Or would I have a BSc and a BA? Like what would my degree end up being? I know its such a silly question, but I can't find the information anywhere.

At UWO by the way!

Members don't see this ad.

You'd end up with 2 degrees, but is it really worth it? One major is enough work and if you're not 100% interested in both, maybe consider doing a psych minor, or neuro minor (if it's offered...it was where I went to school). Then you don't have to take ALL the required classes for both. Or do a neuro major....best of both worlds. Having two majors might not help you out in the long run....why are you thinking a double major in the first place? For grad school?

You'd end up with 2 degrees, but is it really worth it? One major is enough work and if you're not 100% interested in both, maybe consider doing a psych minor, or neuro minor (if it's offered...it was where I went to school). Then you don't have to take ALL the required classes for both. Or do a neuro major....best of both worlds. Having two majors might not help you out in the long run....why are you thinking a double major in the first place? For grad school?

double major =/= two degrees

Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably going to sound really silly, but I'm kind of having a brain fart when it comes to this decision. I decided to back out of a BMSc program at UWO because I wasn't extremely interested in the modules they presented me with. I was more interested in a Neuroscience (Which is actually a BA program, surprisingly) and was told that if I wanted to get the best of both worlds I should major in Biology and major in Psych. Therefore, I get my psychology courses that I really enjoy, and I get a larger spectrum of biology courses I can take (the BMSc ones are still available to me, I just don't have to take every single one of them, eliminating taking some courses I would dread being in due to severe lack of interest)

I can't get a hold of an academic counsellor, but I was just wondering. Majoring in Biology and Majoring in Psych would get me where? What would I end up with when I have all of my credits? Just two majors? Or would I have a BSc and a BA? Like what would my degree end up being? I know its such a silly question, but I can't find the information anywhere.

At UWO by the way!

also, you are posting in the high school section, if you're in college move on up to pre-allo haha :)

I have dual degrees in bio and psych. a lot of the coursework i took had the ability to overlap so i got bio credits for psych classes and vice versa.

i'd study whatever interests you but not kill yourself over it, not worth that! biology and psychology aren't going to give you a strong background in neuroscience, if thats what you're truly interested in. you may find some courses in each field, but it's likely to be pretty limited. i don't think "the best of both worlds" in regards to neuroscience is being in the bio and psych fields. like i said, coverage is basic and not expansive in selection.

that being said, if medical school is what you want in the long run, any of those fields is fine. if you might think about a PhD in neuroscience (whether its biologically or psychologically based) any of those fields will again work.

2 majors is not worth it. Waste of money if your long life dream is med school. get one degree, do well and apply to med school.

2 majors is not worth it. Waste of money if your long life dream is med school. get one degree, do well and apply to med school.

...its not a waste of money if you do it during the time you'd already be there. 2 degrees in 4 years is better than 1 degree in 4 years if the costs are equal, no?

if you can do 2 degree in 4 year then you can probably get one degree in 3 year then take one year off to do something else (vacation, research ie)

if you can do 2 degree in 4 year then you can probably get one degree in 3 year then take one year off to do something else (vacation, research ie)

i could have done 2 in 3-3.5 years if i really wanted, but college is fun. why kill yourself taking lots of classes and having no life when you can take a normal amount and have a lot of fun?

I'm actually considering the same thing. I wanted to create a custom major in psychobiology because it's not offered in WI but the school I am most likely going to doesn't do custom majors. The admissions lady I spoke with recommended that I double major if I wanted to go in that direction and a bio major senior I spoke to said that compared to the 400's in bio, psych is a piece of cake. So I plan on going in as a double major and then if I want to I can always drop the psych major down to a minor if I'm not happy with the amount of coursework I'll have for the two majors. Good luck as it seems that everyone is against double majoring. They're making me second guess my decision!

I'm actually considering the same thing. I wanted to create a custom major in psychobiology because it's not offered in WI but the school I am most likely going to doesn't do custom majors. The admissions lady I spoke with recommended that I double major if I wanted to go in that direction and a bio major senior I spoke to said that compared to the 400's in bio, psych is a piece of cake. So I plan on going in as a double major and then if I want to I can always drop the psych major down to a minor if I'm not happy with the amount of coursework I'll have for the two majors. Good luck as it seems that everyone is against double majoring. They're making me second guess my decision!

dual degrees and double majors in bio and psych were very popular among the pre-med students at my undergrad institution. i know quite a few that were successful applicants and are now in med school.

it really comes down to what YOU want. dont let other people force you into it and don't let them tell you to stay away.