Double Majoring??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwikitten

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am going to be a senior in high school and I am really starting to assess my options for different programs and majors at colleges I'm interested in. The school I am currently most interested in is the University of Minnesota, but this question applies to other schools too.

Is there any benefit to double majoring in college for pre-vet? I'm super interested in both the animal science major and zoology/wildlife/conservation bio majors, and it seems like I'd never be able to choose! I'm not too sure about how hard it would be to double major, and perhaps I'd be better off just minoring in one of them, but I don't know how I could possibly choose!

For instance, at the UMN I am really interested in their animal science and fisheries, wildlife, and conservation bio majors- both majors have a pre-vet track. Trying to decide which direction I want to go is rather conflicting and I would appreciate any advice- thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I am going to be a senior in high school and I am really starting to assess my options for different programs and majors at colleges I'm interested in. The school I am currently most interested in is the University of Minnesota, but this question applies to other schools too.

Is there any benefit to double majoring in college for pre-vet? I'm super interested in both the animal science major and zoology/wildlife/conservation bio majors, and it seems like I'd never be able to choose! I'm not too sure about how hard it would be to double major, and perhaps I'd be better off just minoring in one of them, but I don't know how I could possibly choose!

For instance, at the UMN I am really interested in their animal science and fisheries, wildlife, and conservation bio majors- both majors have a pre-vet track. Trying to decide which direction I want to go is rather conflicting and I would appreciate any advice- thank you!
Hey kiwikitten!

There's actually a really helpful thread that talks about that here

It always helps to search for new threads before making your own one- you never know what you'll find. How to search for threads

Reactions: 1 users
Cdoconn already said what I was going to, but I wanted to add, @kiwikitten , that I went to the U of M for undergrad and am in vet school here too, so if you have any questions about it, let me know!

Also, you don't need to pick a major right away, if I remember correctly. You could take courses in both areas and see which one you liked more.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 cents, not being familiar with UMN

It might be difficult to do a double major in closely related subjects. My UG had rules about how much over lap majors could have ( I think it was 4 classes). I was trying to to animal science and chemistry, but I was already capped for overlapping course from gen chem and ochem, so it probably would have taken me an extra year to complete all the required classes for each major. I ended up only picking animal science, because I enjoyed it more and didn't want to spend any extra time in undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
@kiwikitten I did double majors (biological science with emphasis in animal biology and animal science) at UGA. They had pretty similar classes to take (the upper classes needed for one actually were part of required classes for the other and vice versa). It may be doable if you balance the classes out to where you aren't wasting extra hours on classes that wouldn't be accepted by both majors. I'm not sure how it works at your school but UGA allowed me to do it.

Get started first - should be pretty simple to do since there are a lot of base/general education courses you need to start with - and then see how you feel after a couple semesters. You can add a major or a minor if you decide you want to. Or you can change majors - a lot of us have done that. Sometimes it's just hard to know what you like from the start.

Reactions: 1 user
My 2 cents, not being familiar with UMN

It might be difficult to do a double major in closely related subjects. My UG had rules about how much over lap majors could have ( I think it was 4 classes). I was trying to to animal science and chemistry, but I was already capped for overlapping course from gen chem and ochem, so it probably would have taken me an extra year to complete all the required classes for each major. I ended up only picking animal science, because I enjoyed it more and didn't want to spend any extra time in undergrad.

FWIW at Michigan I double majored in math/computer science and there was a ton of overlap but it didnt seem to be an issue.

FWIW at Michigan I double majored in math/computer science and there was a ton of overlap but it didnt seem to be an issue.
Some places won't let you double-dip though. I had enough classes for a chem minor, but because I had taken them for my biology major (plus a couple extra pre-reqs), I couldn't get the minor.