Doubting Physical Therapy as a Career, PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Like many, I got injured early on while playing sports and went to see a Physical Therapist, I immediately fell in love with the profession at an early age. During this time, the profession was ranked as one of the “top 10 best careers out there”. This enforced my decision and dedication to pursue PT.

Now, 2 years after getting my bachelors and doing all of the grinding to get into PT school, I have been accepted into a PT program. I am ecstatic and I believe it fits my character perfectly. However, the program that I got accepted to is a bit over 100k in tuition which, after reading the forums, talking to PTs and further research, is a ridiculous amount of debt and I will struggle to pay that off. I am very afraid of not being able to start a family, buy a house and enjoy life. I am scared that I will be enthralled by student loan debt for a long time.

The program I got accepted into starts in January so I need to either commit to this program or deny. I am still waiting to hear back from 3 other schools that all start on Fall. I am afraid to not get into any other program and just not become a PT at all. I got waitlisted by my number one option, and I believe my #2 will waitlist me as well.

Now, I am thinking that if I decide to deny the 100k+ tuition program , that I still have a chance to get into the other PT programs which are much cheaper. If I do not get into any program, my plan B is to get a job to accumulate direct patient contact hours so that I can apply to PA school for the next cycle. My professor during my capstone class made many points why PA is a great route as opposed to PT. I know that this forum will be biased towards PT, however, even an experienced PT I shadowed at a hospital, opened up to me and pretty much told me that she would not do PT again and told me to go PA. My main worry of becoming a PA is the late career path change, I am feeling pressured to begin something ( I am 27 years old). I would need to work for about a year to accumulate the direct patient contact hours and take 4 additional classes.

Furthermore, I keep reading about how unhappy many PTs are with the current state of PT. In addition to all of this, while shadowing at different clinics, I noticed that some PTs were handling 4-5 patients at once and not really working with them, instead, they would just tell them to go do some exercises. I understand that the clinic needs to see a certain amount of patients in a day to make some money, but the patient care was a bit unethical at this type of places and made me think, why do we need a doctorate degree and go in so much debt to tell people to do some asic exercises that they could just do anywhere, without the PTs knowledge. Is the PT really making a difference here?

Despite all of the negativity that I’ve read, and experienced, I still think PT is the best fit for who I am as a person. But I just do not want to go through all of the hard schooling to become a PT and get into a ridiculous amount of debt to make $60k a year while having $175k in debt. I know that I am meant to become a PT, and it saddens me to see where the profession is at. High cost of education, rigorous course load, and average income. For a similar effort, I could go into another career that would also make me happy but not put me in such a financial burden.

My purpose of this post is not to bash PT at all, but to be realistic of the field’s current state. My purpose of this post is to seek advice from experienced clinicians, new clinicians, students who are going through a similar situation and explore my options. I do not want to make a $200k mistake.

Thank you all and I look forward to the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Like many, I got injured early on while playing sports and went to see a Physical Therapist, I immediately fell in love with the profession at an early age. During this time, the profession was ranked as one of the “top 10 best careers out there”. This enforced my decision and dedication to pursue PT.

Now, 2 years after getting my bachelors and doing all of the grinding to get into PT school, I have been accepted into a PT program. I am ecstatic and I believe it fits my character perfectly. However, the program that I got accepted to is a bit over 100k in tuition which, after reading the forums, talking to PTs and further research, is a ridiculous amount of debt and I will struggle to pay that off. I am very afraid of not being able to start a family, buy a house and enjoy life. I am scared that I will be enthralled by student loan debt for a long time.

The program I got accepted into starts in January so I need to either commit to this program or deny. I am still waiting to hear back from 3 other schools that all start on Fall. I am afraid to not get into any other program and just not become a PT at all. I got waitlisted by my number one option, and I believe my #2 will waitlist me as well.

Now, I am thinking that if I decide to deny the 100k+ tuition program , that I still have a chance to get into the other PT programs which are much cheaper. If I do not get into any program, my plan B is to get a job to accumulate direct patient contact hours so that I can apply to PA school for the next cycle. My professor during my capstone class made many points why PA is a great route as opposed to PT. I know that this forum will be biased towards PT, however, even an experienced PT I shadowed at a hospital, opened up to me and pretty much told me that she would not do PT again and told me to go PA. My main worry of becoming a PA is the late career path change, I am feeling pressured to begin something ( I am 27 years old). I would need to work for about a year to accumulate the direct patient contact hours and take 4 additional classes.

Furthermore, I keep reading about how unhappy many PTs are with the current state of PT. In addition to all of this, while shadowing at different clinics, I noticed that some PTs were handling 4-5 patients at once and not really working with them, instead, they would just tell them to go do some exercises. I understand that the clinic needs to see a certain amount of patients in a day to make some money, but the patient care was a bit unethical at this type of places and made me think, why do we need a doctorate degree and go in so much debt to tell people to do some asic exercises that they could just do anywhere, without the PTs knowledge. Is the PT really making a difference here?

Despite all of the negativity that I’ve read, and experienced, I still think PT is the best fit for who I am as a person. But I just do not want to go through all of the hard schooling to become a PT and get into a ridiculous amount of debt to make $60k a year while having $175k in debt. I know that I am meant to become a PT, and it saddens me to see where the profession is at. High cost of education, rigorous course load, and average income. For a similar effort, I could go into another career that would also make me happy but not put me in such a financial burden.

My purpose of this post is not to bash PT at all, but to be realistic of the field’s current state. My purpose of this post is to seek advice from experienced clinicians, new clinicians, students who are going through a similar situation and explore my options. I do not want to make a $200k mistake.

175-200K debt for 60-80K income does not seem like a good investment. General rule of thumb has been that total debt should not exceed 1st year earning potential. I think being a PA will give you much higher earning potential and better job security. Also you could theoretically work for an orthropod, physiatrist, or sports medicine primary care doc. Given the current state of healthcare, I would not be surprised if PAs gain more autonomy. Don't sweat your age, I started med school at age 30 (after being a PT for several years).

Don't do it. I never would have gone into 6 figure debt. I know it's not all about the money, but I honestly don't believe anyone who says money isn't important. I was fortunate enough to get into a program where I didn't go into any debt. I probably wouldn't have pursued this career path otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree with scrawny guy. I love PT most days but the work is hard and can be very monotonous especially in settings where you make more money like SNFs.

I took on the debt you’re talking about (and more) and, quite frankly, I wouldn’t do it over again. The APTA needs to advocate for us and push for higher physical therapist earning potential to compensate for the advanced knowledge they’ve pushed so hard for us to attain.

One of the most frustrating things is that the places where you make a slightly more reasonable salary, such as SNFs, are the exact places where we do not get to utilize our doctoral level skills. You heard that correctly: we get paid more in settings where our skills aren’t used. Outpatient clinics are the places where we are our own independent practitioners and thus use our diagnostic skills but, somehow, they pay the least.

Regardless, I truly believe PTs should never be paid less than 75k (even new grads) in any setting after all the education we’ve attained and debt we’ve accrued. I think that should be the low end. Something has to be done because the debt to income ratio just doesn’t make sense and people are already figuring it out. I suspect the number of people excited to become DPTs may begin to drop because of this but who knows anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have no idea what it is like being a PA. But I do know what it is like being a PT. I would not recommend this field if one has to go over 6 figures in debt. The pay just does not match. PT can be a great job but I think too much is ruining the profession. The productivity requirement many places have is one of them. I don't see the pay getting any higher either.

Physical Therapy Burnout is Destroying Our Profession - CovalentCareers Blog

I would recommend anyone considering PT read that article.

Reactions: 1 user
I really have nothing else to add. Don't incur >$50-70k debt to get into the profession. That's what you will make your first year after tax. If you can minimize your debt burden, go for it. But some of my classmates came out of school with $100-$150k debt. They do home health or working in SNF's when they really want to be doing manual therapy in an outpatient clinic where they will only make $70k/year. They have almost zero chance of ever opening their own practice because they will be paying off loans for 10-15 years. The numbers don't make sense. Visit my friend Meredith's site at Home | The Non-Clinical PT for more.

Hello everyone,

You gotta do what you want to and what will make you happy, but that is quite the time commitment to pursue another degree. I would personally say MD/DO would be the only way to go. PA, as you mentioned, would be a parallel career at this point in my opinion