Downstate: Hold for Spring Consideration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

handwriting

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, I got placed on Downstate's Hold List. :(
How many of you have received this letter, and how do you all feel about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I got that awhile ago. I was really disappointed cause I thought I had a great interview there, and I really want to be in the city. Anyway, it seems like we'll hear in June whether we've been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. Maybe the just weren't sure about our app and wanted to compare it to everyone else's once the interviews are done. I'm not sure how many people get accepted right off hold or if more are waitlisted/rejected of what. Anyone have any more insights?

People have said that it's difficult to get accepted straight off the hold list; easier to get on the alternate list. But what matters is that it's not a straight out rejection and applicants placed on hold have been accepted before. My question is: Has Downstate given out any official waitlists to anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah the same thing happened to me :( Whats the difference between the hold list and alternate list?

Hold just means they are deferring making a decision on your application, where waitlist is an initial decision.

yup. Same boat. A disappointing boat. I want to be there sooooooooooo much. And I thought my interview was great too. let's keep this thread updated as we all learn more, yeah?

I wish you guys the best of luck. I will probably be withdrawing unless I get a ridiculous financial aid package. I hope it goes to one of you.

I wish you guys the best of luck. I will probably be withdrawing unless I get a ridiculous financial aid package. I hope it goes to one of you.
me too

To all of you guys who visit this page and got into Downstate already (other than those who already posted here)...how many of you are going to withdraw because of another, more appealing acceptance (whether it be for location reasons, tuition differences, etc.)?

when did everyone interview?

i interviewed Jan 8th...that's just about when you interviewed.
Did you hear anything back? If not, the decision should be imminent.
(BTW, we have pretty similar stats.)

To all of you guys who visit this page and got into Downstate already (other than those who already posted here)...how many of you are going to withdraw because of another, more appealing acceptance (whether it be for location reasons, tuition differences, etc.)?

Probably me (though I haven't received a decision yet). I will consider it if there is a financial aid offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
im on 6 waitlists and got into downstate,. if i get off one of the waitlists, it is likely i withdraw

I got the same letter :(. Does anyone know if Downstate looks favorably on letters of interest? What's the deal with this hold status? Do they rereview your application at a later specified date or is it just in limbo untill they feel like getting to it?

I got the same letter :(. Does anyone know if Downstate looks favorably on letters of interest? What's the deal with this hold status? Do they rereview your application at a later specified date or is it just in limbo untill they feel like getting to it?

I think letters of interest are a good thing in general.

When did you interview and what are your stats?
Also, what pulls you toward Downstate?

As for the hold status...I think it means that Downstate will rereview your file either late May or somewhere in June. The funny thing is is that the class is officially filled up by then, and the only spots available will be due to people withdrawing. There's still a lot I'm a bit unsure about.
If anyone knows more...let us know.

i interviewed Jan 8th...that's just about when you interviewed.
Did you hear anything back? If not, the decision should be imminent.
(BTW, we have pretty similar stats.)

i haven't heard anything yet so my fingers are crossed

When did you interview and what are your stats?
Also, what pulls you toward Downstate?

As for the hold status...I think it means that Downstate will rereview your file either late May or somewhere in June. The funny thing is is that the class is officially filled up by then, and the only spots available will be due to people withdrawing. There's still a lot I'm a bit unsure about.

I interviewed (OOS) on Jan 17. Im a 3.7 w/ a 13B 12P 7V :)scared:) P writing...little bit of research, lots of volunteer, lots of clinical exposure/shadowing, officer of prehealth blah blah....I like downstate b/c of their cheap tuition, King's County Hospital, and b/c i have family in NYC.

so i got the rejection letter in the mail today

I agree. It certainly can't hurt. Worst that can happen is they ignore it. I wrote one to them before I received a decision. So I can't say for sure if it helped, but I think it did.

What's the difference between a hold and a waitlist then?

Sorry to hear that.

I agree. It certainly can't hurt. Worst that can happen is they ignore it. I wrote one to them before I received a decision. So I can't say for sure if it helped, but I think it did.

Well, I sent an LOI pre-decision, and I got put on hold, so I guess a lot of things come into play.

What's the difference between a hold and a waitlist then?

Well, when they send the hold letter, they write that they can't render a decision. Waitlists count as decisions, I think. People on hold could be waitlisted, I believe. Holds sound almost like delays.

I am sorry dude. I know how it feels to have invested a lot of time, money, and soul into this process, and to be so close, yet to get shot down in the end. (just check out my mdapps).

However, you did get into a DO school, I believe. Stay strong my friend, it'll all work out in the end.

yes, stay strong. Many of us are in the same boat... I began this process with so much confidence, and to get shot down (or even worse, no response) from so many schools... it hurts. and it's absurd that I could be living in any one of four major cities next Fall, and I won't know till possibly august.... (I do like ellipses, it seems). So I go on now as if I am going to be rejected, am taking two more pre recs, a course in phlebotomy (and this is all expensive), find new places to volunteer, new docs to shadow, and keep working my regular job. yeah, not easy. trying to keep a relationship going to boot. And the kicker? I will likely be applying to med schools again come June... that's SO much money and work! on top of everything else. yuck. anyone want to have a beer about now?

yes, stay strong. Many of us are in the same boat... I began this process with so much confidence, and to get shot down (or even worse, no response) from so many schools... it hurts. and it's absurd that I could be living in any one of four major cities next Fall, and I won't know till possibly august.... (I do like ellipses, it seems). So I go on now as if I am going to be rejected, am taking two more pre recs, a course in phlebotomy (and this is all expensive), find new places to volunteer, new docs to shadow, and keep working my regular job. yeah, not easy. trying to keep a relationship going to boot. And the kicker? I will likely be applying to med schools again come June... that's SO much money and work! on top of everything else. yuck. anyone want to have a beer about now?

You just summed up everything that I've been experiencing for the past few months. I was really confident too but now....I dont know what to do. I guess you just have to assume you're gonna get rejected and plan to apply all over again.

I am still waiting to hear back from Downstate (interviewed 1/14) and all of this makes me want to cry.

Got put on hold today... the wait continues!

oy...so many holds.

Being on hold...is it bad...is it good?

How much hope are we on-hold-ers supposed to have?

Good luck guys!

Ya I'd like to know how many applicants are actually placed on hold and if any positive outcomes have resulted from it. It just doesn't sound good to me. Are applicants who interviewed at Downstate placed on hold or is it something that they can potentially hand out to everyone who applies?

I had a chance to speak to a doctor on the admissions committee and he told me that as far as he knows, there are only 3 decisions that Downstate makes: Acceptance, Rejection, and Waitlist. I specifically mentioned the "hold" letter, and I was told that if it's not an acceptance or a rejection, it's a waitlist. This is also the pool from which Downstate takes students to fill the entering class after people withdraw in the spring and summer. I hope this is all true. Anyway, if anyone has anything to say--something to the contrary, or whatever...just chime in.

I had a chance to speak to a doctor on the admissions committee and he told me that as far as he knows, there are only 3 decisions that Downstate makes: Acceptance, Rejection, and Waitlist. I specifically mentioned the "hold" letter, and I was told that if it's not an acceptance or a rejection, it's a waitlist. This is also the pool from which Downstate takes students to fill the entering class after people withdraw in the spring and summer. I hope this is all true. Anyway, if anyone has anything to say--something to the contrary, or whatever...just chime in.

This is last year's thread regarding Downstate:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=411069

It seems that the hold category isn't exactly a waitlist since students were pulled from the hold to the alternate list around the beginning of June, then accepted. However I think most people in the hold category will eventually be placed on the alternate list.

Has anybody that interviewed in March heard back from Downstate?

I interviewed during the week of 2/18 and have not yet heard back (approaching 9 weeks). Have any late February interviewers heard back?

I was placed on the 'hold for spring consideration' category, and let's just say, my interview was NOT good.

I was very physically ill, barely mentally made it through the interview, my interviewer being stupefied by the fact that I had not spent a significant amount of time in eastern Brooklyn, followed by me running to the bathroom about 3 times during the day to throw up. Like visibly running, that's how bad it was. And I threw up every single time. So i can only imagine how I looked.

So, short story short, I imagine 'hold for spring consideration' is not a positive outcome.

Finaid for DS is out. I got a decent scholarship, but I think I may be withdrawing. I hope it goes to one of you guys.

Hey,

for Cardboardearrin: What are your stats?...just curious.

for 1956Goldtop: My girlfriend got into DS and she wants to know how good the scholarships get. Could you let us know, please?

TAP maxes out at 550 (which is much lower than given out for undergraduate students)

The scholarship I got was for around 10K a year (but it was a disadvantaged student scholarship). I don't know if they give out regular need-based or merit-based scholarships. Let me know if your GF finds out (I'd like to see what I can negotiate if I decide to do that).

Best of luck!

Oddly, their CoA is 50,000 which is higher than any other SUNY. I wonder why this is? Anyone know about this increase?

Oddly, their CoA is 50,000 which is higher than any other SUNY. I wonder why this is? Anyone know about this increase?

Actually Stony Brook's COA is only $44,000.

I'm pretty sure all SUNYs charge the same tuition ($18,800 plus ~$1000 or so in fees), so the higher cost must come from room and board or miscellaneous expenses.

1956Goldtop, I think my GF got the same scholarship you got (the disadvantaged one). Although, after calculating her tuition needs, DS came up with a sum of about $39,000. It was a little weird, because DS included housing fees in their sum-up, and my GF never intended on that...she even made that clear in her application and follow-up forms. Maybe calculating dorm rent is standard in DS's tuition planning assistance forms. Anyway, Einstein might be another choice for her in the near future as high priority waitlists begin to move, but I think she's going to go with the take-the-money-and-run approach.
Good luck to ya.

wait she got 39,000 in scholarships? If so, I would highly recommend her to take that and run with it, but only if her love for einstein isn't that much greater.

damnit...I hate being unclear.

No no, DS calculated that she would need to pay $39,000 a year in order to attend, but they're giving her like 5K to 10K a year (or something along those lines) to take off the heat. She'll have to pay the difference. However, what I was saying is it really won't be $39,000 when she subtracts the price of dorming, since she won't be needing it.

bump...

Any updates anyone? Withdrawals, rejections, wait lists? Anything?

For those of you on hold or rejected (or accepted), did any of you have changes on your checklist? I interviewed early feb and now my checklist has three new entries for my college transcripts, with red x marks next to them. Do you guys have this? I'm dying to know if it means anything, since I still haven't heard anything from them either way.

For those of you on hold or rejected (or accepted), did any of you have changes on your checklist? I interviewed early feb and now my checklist has three new entries for my college transcripts, with red x marks next to them. Do you guys have this? I'm dying to know if it means anything, since I still haven't heard anything from them either way.
That means you're accepted. You'll get the acceptance package soon.
Check out this thread: http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=458768&page=2&highlight=downstate+status+changes

can you post a link to the status check please?

Withdrew off waitlist. Good luck everyone.

Withdrew this week. Hopefully it helps someone who's waiting for an acceptance!

gah! this is exciting! but I can't seem to connect to the checklist on their webpage...