Quantcast

Downward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Gains

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I had a 4.0 throughout my entire college career, what GPA would be worrisome, or raise eyebrows, in my last quarter senior year to adcoms?

And is it normal for last quarter grades to be lower than usual? I’ve been really stressed this quarter with graduation and finishing up med school app, anyone else have this trend of doing worse last quarter?

I think it really depends on what you mean exactly by "downward trend." If you had a 4.0 your entire college career, and you just got a 3.0 or sub3.0 this semester than that might potentially raise eyebrows. But if it's just a single B or two -As, than I think you don't have much to worry about.

Reactions: 1 user

If I had a 4.0 throughout my entire college career, what GPA would be worrisome, or raise eyebrows, in my last quarter senior year to adcoms?

And is it normal for last quarter grades to be lower than usual? I’ve been really stressed this quarter with graduation and finishing up med school app, anyone else have this trend of doing worse last quarter?
What would be worrisome? Straight Cs. If you have received a 4.0 otherwise and get a couple Bs last quarter no one will raise an eyebrow.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

As a senior you should have been showing a upward trend getting better than a 4.0!!!

I am joking, as you didnt tell us what the GPA will be. Assuming that you arent a completely OCD neurotic premed and you arent worried because you “only” have a 3.7, unless you have barely passed all your courses you have nothing to worry about

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

> 3.2.

Some people do slack off

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
As a senior you should have been showing a upward trend getting better than a 4.0!!!

I am joking, as you didnt tell us what the GPA will be. Assuming that you arent a completely OCD neurotic premed and you arent worried because you “only” have a 3.7, unless you have barely passed all your courses you have nothing to worry about
This quarter I think I will have between 3.5-3.7

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That’s what I am nervous I will come off as. Is it common for a dip in GPA during the last semester of college?
And is the absolute definitive answer: it doesnt matter. Unless you are going to give up applying to medical school based upon answers here, then the question is moot. You cant change your GPA now and speculating will do nothing but cause worry snd doubt. So move on

Reactions: 2 users

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
And is the absolute definitive answer: it doesnt matter. Unless you are going to give up applying to medical school based upon answers here, then the question is moot. You cant change your GPA now and speculating will do nothing but cause worry snd doubt. So move on
Is there usually a section on secondaries to update school on spring grades? Or is that section not mean for updated grades?

Sleepingdoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

I would say this really depends.. the application is seen as a whole.. A grade or two, I doubt they care... Also if you just took upper level classes/ tougher classes and all of a sudden your grades become worse, it would raise some eyebrows.

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I would say this really depends.. the application is seen as a whole.. A grade or two, I doubt they care... Also if you just took upper level classes/ tougher classes and all of a sudden your grades become worse, it would raise some eyebrows.
Well the thing is I would be applying before my grades come out, so I’m not sure they will see my grades

Sleepingdoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well the thing is I would be applying before my grades come out, so I’m not sure they will see my grades
They will likely not see them, but you may be asked about your current classes during interviews... 4.0 is impressive but i would not lose sleep over 3.6.. What if they do raise eyebrows... its not like you can change anything after the grades come out. Just relax you will be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
They will likely not see them, but you may be asked about your current classes during interviews... 4.0 is impressive but i would not lose sleep over 3.6.. What if they do raise eyebrows... its not like you can change anything after the grades come out. Just relax you will be ok.
But is that something to warrant them raising their eyebrows though? And what’s the best way to go about saying I got a 3.6 during the interview? Should I explain that it was a tough quarter or just let it slide? I feel like it would be awkward if I said nothing after saying I got a 3.6 after they saw my academic record

Sleepingdoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
But is that something to warrant them raising their eyebrows though? And what’s the best way to go about saying I got a 3.6 during the interview? Should I explain that it was a tough quarter or just let it slide? I feel like it would be awkward if I said nothing after saying I got a 3.6 after they saw my academic record
Dont bring it up unless they ask for it... if they talk about it/bring it up, be truthful and what led to this, but tell them how you are working on doing better on next exam or next semester..

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Dont bring it up unless they ask for it... if they talk about it/bring it up, be truthful and what led to this, but tell them how you are working on doing better on next exam or next semester..
But is my situation a red flag or something to make the Adcom members raise eyebrow to. Or will it be overlooked if they found out before hand

Sleepingdoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
But is my situation a red flag or something to make the Adcom members raise eyebrow to. Or will it be overlooked if they found out before hand
If it is a red flag, then it is a red flag.. you cant do anything about it. Only an Adcom and members who vote on ranking you as a candidate will determine that.. I will say that if these records are available when you submitted with your application they will see that GPA went down, but if not then its less likely that you will be asked but if they do ask about it in interviews then just be prepared to explain yourself.

Just be yourself, you will be ok. You will be in these situations when you are in med school and many more years to come, you just have to deal with it when time comes.

Last edited:

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dude it’s fine. How low are you gonna go? Don’t worry. A couple B’s this semester will not prevent you from getting into med school.

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Dude it’s fine. How low are you gonna go? Don’t worry. A couple B’s this semester will not prevent you from getting into med school.
I still have a few more weeks in the quarter left but I think it will be 3.5-3.7 range. And thanks, I just didn’t know how it would look if I had to report it in a secondary or if it was asked in an interview

faerie62

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's not a big deal. If last semester is 3.5-3.7, I doubt anyone is going to ask you about it. They have more important things to talk about!
[E] Do NOT comment on it in a secondary. That just makes you look neurotic!

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
It's not a big deal. If last semester is 3.5-3.7, I doubt anyone is going to ask you about it. They have more important things to talk about!
[E] Do NOT comment on it in a secondary. That just makes you look neurotic!
But don’t some secondaries ask for you to update your grades if you still had one quarter left as a senior?

faerie62

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh, in that case of course update your grades. Sorry, I misinterpreted. I meant some secondaries have a place for you to explain any dips in academic performance that may be due to extenuating circumstances. Don't comment on those, just leave them blank.

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Oh, in that case of course update your grades. Sorry, I misinterpreted. I meant some secondaries have a place for you to explain any dips in academic performance that may be due to extenuating circumstances. Don't comment on those, just leave them blank.
Yes I won’t mention it in that case. But in the case of a prompt such as “is there anything else you would like to update us on?” I’m not sure if it would be appropriate to leave that blank for grades

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes I won’t mention it in that case. But in the case of a prompt such as “is there anything else you would like to update us on?” I’m not sure if it would be appropriate to leave that blank for grades
Leave it blank