DPM/JD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masttt91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pod student and I really do feel like its a good fit, so absolutely no cold feet here. But at the same time I've always had a secret love for law. I've had some experience with law :whistle:and every time my law-school cousins talk to me about cases they're studying it really nudges at me. So hypothetically speaking, lets say after residency I get into an accelerated JD program full-ride (a girl can dream), can you guys think of any opportunities/benefits of being a DPM and a JD..other than free legal advice :D

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see the benefit to you the practicing surgeon/podiatrist. You could potentially create opportunities for yourself as a lawyer, but I personally believe they would be limited and there would be a long and hard road that would likely result in no benefit or a benefit no where close to the effort you put into it.

People do create interesting opportunities for themselves by combining law with other professions - ie. engineer + lawyer (potentially patent law), CPA + lawyer (tax attorney - I claim no expertise on this subject), medicine + law (perhaps for suing or defending other doctors or crafting health law - I don't know). Seems to me though that each of the above things I've listed requires you practicing as a lawyer. You'll need a law degree - there's an incredible hierarchy in law. I don't really even want to write anymore because there's just a long road of ifs that I can't even begin to claim experience with- if you go to the right law school, if you graduate, if you pass the bar, if you get an opportunity at a firm that allows you to develop into something interesting or different.

I'm a pod student and I really do feel like its a good fit, so absolutely no cold feet here. But at the same time I've always had a secret love for law. I've had some experience with law :whistle:and every time my law-school cousins talk to me about cases they're studying it really nudges at me. So hypothetically speaking, lets say after residency I get into an accelerated JD program full-ride (a girl can dream), can you guys think of any opportunities/benefits of being a DPM and a JD..other than free legal advice :D
If you actually love law, that's probably what you should have done instead. If you're in too deep with podiatry, however, you might have to pay off your initial obligations before switching would be worthwhile. DPM is way too niche to be pursued along with a JD, but perhaps having both would offer you some marginal advantages in medically related lawyering or corporate healthcare law.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in residency and one of my attendings went to law school after practicing podiatry for a decade. Now she practices both, but works like a horse. One advantage of it is that she sends a "lawyer letter" to all the patients who owe her money scaring them and successfully getting payments. I wouldn't recommend it though, I feel like she is half-assing both professions in one way or another.

Thanks for the responses guys. I would be perfectly happy being a podiatrist and doing nothing law related and I don't think the reverse is true. Since I have seen a lot of MD, JDs and google shows there are a handful DPM, JDs I was just wondering how these people utilize their degrees. I can see that it could be difficult to blend the two together. Anyways, thanks again.

A lot of the MD, JD or similar degrees I've seen tend to be people in administration or deans of schools, etc rather than actual practioners of law. Most of them have gone back to school as a mid-life crisis or a passion pursuing venture of sorts, similar to what you're describing. I'm sure the DPM, JD would be harder to market than an MD, JD but it's definitely a good question. If you've ever watched the show "Suits" it definitely makes you want to be a lawyer. haha