Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Dpm?

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by saxifoneforgod, Feb 28, 2007.

1. saxifoneforgod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have an uncle who studied podiatric medicine for about a year. He told me that a DPM can work on conditions from the hip...down. Is this true? Or, can a DPM only work on problems of the foot and ankle? Please help me to understand. Thank you! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This all depends upon state law. Many states have laws that allow pods to treat soft tissue up to the thigh. However, most states limit osseous work to the foot and ankle. A few states limit osseous work to the foot only. Check the laws of the states that interest you.

4. cool_vkb

cool_vkb Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    What does Osseous work means!

5. oncogene

oncogene Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

osseous=bone tissue

6. dpmgrad

dpmgrad Senior Member
    Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Osseous = Bone

7. saxifoneforgod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much for that information! However, do you know where I can locate the information that you described? I live in Ohio.

Thanks again!!!!!

8. cool_vkb

cool_vkb Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Can you give some examples of Osseous bone work which you might do on daily basis.

9. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist

Attending Physician

Bone cuts are made in various surgical procedures ranging from bunions and hammertoes to flat foot reconstruction. Fractures of many of the bones of the foot and ankle often require open reduction internal fixation with plates and screws. We plated a broken fibula yesterday. These are all examples of "osseous work".

10. theavrock

5+ Year Member

I have just started looking into podiatry and am specifically interested in Sports Medicine. Lets say an athelete breaks his ankle. Would that be something a podiatrist cast/operates/puts screws in etc.? Or would that be something that a orthopedic would be more involved in. Also any other interesting sports medicine work that youi guys know of or have web links too, that DPM's do would handle would be great. Thanks!

11. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist

Attending Physician
    It usually just depends on where they are taken and who happens to be on call. But yes, pods fix broken ankles all of the time. We've taken 3 ankle fractures to the OR in the past two days.

Concerning sports medicine, there are sports medicine fellowships that can be done after residency.

12. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    Try this link.

http://www.aapsm.org/

Regarding Sports Medicine, Podiatrists are often refered to as the "Runner's doctor". Biomechanics of locomotion (and the foot and ankle specifically) is a major part of podiatry.

13. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    broken bones is usually considered trauma and it depends what state and hospital for who gets the foot and ankle cases between the pods and orthos.

sports med pods typically help the athletes compete better by evaluating gait and biomechanical abnormalities and prescribing orthotics and other devices to splint/help fix the deformity/abnormality.

Sports med pods also deal with sports injuries and helping the athletes return to activity.

If your goal is to be the pod for a professional team, you should make sure that you will like being a pod that is not affiliated with a team as well because it is very rare to be the team pod for a professional team. it happens but it is not the norm.

Also, non-professional athletes (runners...) like to go to pods that are also runners/marathoners... so that is something to consider also.

14. theavrock

5+ Year Member

Thanks for all the good information guys! Just starting my research on podiatry. I have another two years before I am done with my undergrad, so I am just doing all the research on it that I can. I am shadowing a pod this summer so hopefully that will help me more than anything.