DPT 2016-2017 applicants GPA, GRE, HOURS, ESSAY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member 5632997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Who is getting ready to apply for physical therapy programs this coming cycle? How is everyone feeling about the new prompt this year: "What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program? I'm not feeling too hot. Any guidance would be appreciated. I'm not even sure what the prompt is asking. I was so mentally prepared for last year's prompt and now I have to brainstorm all over again. I was also wondering how my stats are looking? Would love some input. How is everyone else doing?

Undergrad: UCSC
Major: MCD Bio
Cum GPA: 3.56
GRE: 158V 161Q 5.0AW
Hours: 60 hrs outpatient ortho private practice, 50 hrs, outpatient ortho hospital, 15 hrs SNF (I will have more hours and two more settings come application time)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats look great and you're definitely doing well so far on observation hours and setting variety. You are definitely on the right track! I applied last year and I think that prompt was a good one for developing a strong personal statement. Like you, I'm a little confused by the new prompt. It seems like they want you to discuss what characteristics and ideals you will embody as a physical therapist and how those will make you an exceptional medical professional. You can tie in your background and why you chose PT to make it more substantial. Good luck with your application!

This may be a good prompt for nontrads, life experience may give some ideas to the meaning of professionalism.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Who is getting ready to apply for physical therapy programs this coming cycle? How is everyone feeling about the new prompt this year: "What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program? I'm not feeling too hot. Any guidance would be appreciated. I'm not even sure what the prompt is asking. I was so mentally prepared for last year's prompt and now I have to brainstorm all over again. I was also wondering how my stats are looking? Would love some input. How is everyone else doing?

Hours: 60 hrs outpatient ortho private practice, 50 hrs, outpatient ortho hospital, 15 hrs SNF (I will have more hours and two more settings come application time)

http://www.apta.org/EthicsProfessionalism/

This and your own observations/experiences while shadowing are all you need for that essay.

Where did you find the essay prompt?

I'm applying this upcoming cycle also! Btw, where did you find the essay prompt?

Edit: I found it on the Facebook page.

Last edited:

This and your own observations/experiences while shadowing are all you need for that essay.
I did the same thing and basically found that page when I was researching how in the world they came up with that new prompt. Slowly brainstorming ideas...I was talking to some PTs that I work with and they agreed that it wasn't the best prompt and that it's pretty vague. I guess in that sense it might be a good thing since you can pretty much talk about anything you want. I'm just super anxious and want to make sure I'm saying what the admissions people want haha. Good luck to everyone!

This may be a good prompt for nontrads, life experience may give some ideas to the meaning of professionalism.
I guess I'm just confused about the "...in the context of being a student in...". Are they asking what is professionalism as a DPT student? (that wouldn't make much sense..lol) Or are they asking as a DPT student, what does professionalism mean to you in the PT field?

I did the same thing and basically found that page when I was researching how in the world they came up with that new prompt. Slowly brainstorming ideas...I was talking to some PTs that I work with and they agreed that it wasn't the best prompt and that it's pretty vague. I guess in that sense it might be a good thing since you can pretty much talk about anything you want. I'm just super anxious and want to make sure I'm saying what the admissions people want haha. Good luck to everyone!

Well don't "say what the admissions people want" or you're going to come off as scripted, cliched, and fake. Use real world experience that relates to you and how you've demonstrated professionalism, and say how these characteristics impact physical therapy.

I guess I'm just confused about the "...in the context of being a student in...". Are they asking what is professionalism as a DPT student? (that wouldn't make much sense..lol) Or are they asking as a DPT student, what does professionalism mean to you in the PT field?

In a DPT program you will most likely take "Professional Practice" courses. They want you to be ethical and represent the profession well. You may be overthinking the prompt.

Reactions: 1 users
I would think about why the physical therapy profession changed from a masters to a doctor and what the new educational level does for the profession. As a student how will you embody professionalism in a Doctorate of Physical therapy program?

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck guys I just got in my number 1 school, here's the best advice...It's not what you know but who you know lol

Good luck guys I just got in my number 1 school, here's the best advice...It's not what you know but who you know lol

I didn't know anybody at any school I applied to and did fine. It's what you know about the profession and how you fit into it.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know anybody at any school I applied to and did fine. It's what you know about the profession and how you fit into it.
Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'll change it, it's not only what you know but also who you know..... I don't mean you personally in terms of classmates or staff. I meant networking if you lack everywhere else, or are a tie with someone else in terms of stats. Grad programs have affiliated agreements with other undergrad university which increases your chance of getting in due to the relationship they almost have to let at least 1 person in, some letters of recs will go put you ahead of others with the same stats. DPT programs have contracts with hospitals and clinics in order to send their students there for clinical rotations right? Why not get a LOR from someone from those clinics or hospital? Why get an adjunct not related to major professor to do your LOR when you can get the chairperson of BIO or allied health who know the staff of the school you are applying to. I did all of these and it definitely helped me. These are the things that people with great stats typically don't need to worry about. Once the interview is granted it's now time to show what you know. I killed my interview which was the time I could really show that I am a fit for the program which got me in but my networking helped me get an interview with only a 3.2. It's hard to show fit in your essay because there is 1 essay for many schools.

Last edited:
I'll change it, it's not only what you know but also who you know..... I don't mean you personally in terms of classmates or staff. I meant networking if you lack everywhere else, or are a tie with someone else in terms of stats. Grad programs have affiliated agreements with other undergrad university which increases your chance of getting in due to the relationship they almost have to let at least 1 person in, some letters of recs will go put you ahead of others with the same stats. DPT programs have contracts with hospitals and clinics in order to send their students there for clinical rotations right? Why not get a LOR from someone from those clinics or hospital? Why get an adjunct not related to major professor to do your LOR when you can get the chairperson of BIO or allied health who know the staff of the school you are applying to. I did all of these and it definitely helped me. These are the things that people with great stats typically don't need to worry about. Once the interview is granted it's now time to show what you know. I killed my interview which was the time I could really show that I am a fit for the program which got me in but my networking helped me get an interview with only a 3.2. It's hard to show fit in your essay because there is 1 essay for many schools.

Agreed those things can help - but I definitely wouldn't consider them "the best" advice. The best advice is to rock your cGPA and pGPA. If you are average on that, rock your GRE. Get observation in a variety of settings which will allow you to showcase insight you've gathered on the profession and write great essays. I personally think letters of rec help the least - and will not get you in if these other factors are poor (although a BAD letter of rec can kill your chances). It's highly unlikely you are going to be tied with someone on pretty much every factor except letters of rec to the point that they would be looking at who sent yours in and if they're staff on an affiliated hospital or not. However, congrats on your acceptance and it's great you're into your first choice.

Agreed those things can help - but I definitely wouldn't consider them "the best" advice. The best advice is to rock your cGPA and pGPA. If you are average on that, rock your GRE. Get observation in a variety of settings which will allow you to showcase insight you've gathered on the profession and write great essays. I personally think letters of rec help the least - and will not get you in if these other factors are poor (although a BAD letter of rec can kill your chances). It's highly unlikely you are going to be tied with someone on pretty much every factor except letters of rec to the point that they would be looking at who sent yours in and if they're staff on an affiliated hospital or not. However, congrats on your acceptance and it's great you're into your first choice.

Agreed on 95% of the post. There are so many factors and I shouldn't have said best advice. What I am talking about is situational.

GRE: I got a 150 on the GRE but had 3.25ish GPA this is average to slightly under. I also had 2 years of research and 2000 hours of volunteer hours. I took the GRE 3 times and got within the same 3 points every time for both Q and V. They actually design the test to make it that way. I studied for 2 months lol so GRE is hard to change dramatically unless you didn't study hard the first time.

GPA: People who did majors like neuroscience or chem at a natural science university might have lower grades and because of the amount of credits they already, it's significantly harder to increase both cGPA and Science GPA dramatically. pGPA can be increased fast however due to the small amount of credits considered.

In summary GPA and GRE are the most important but they are hard to change by the time someone gets on SDN worrying about their acceptance ( senior year for many). A "good trick" that can tip the scale in your favor is to network the way I explained earlier. One of my professors from who is very well known literally emails the prospective school saying hey we have an affiliate agreement I have this student applying with a 3.x, is a great student etc. The schools(who ever is the coordinator) reply to him. It can help why not do it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Okay, so, I know this is a personal statement. But, I was wondering how personal I should get. Should I only talk about my observation experiences and tie it back to the prompt or can I also talk about stuff I do outside the realms of PT. I work at a high end retail store on the side and there are so many things I can say about my job that relate to "professionalism" in the PT field. I don't know if that would come off as off topic and weird.

Okay, so, I know this is a personal statement. But, I was wondering how personal I should get. Should I only talk about my observation experiences and tie it back to the prompt or can I also talk about stuff I do outside the realms of PT. I work at a high end retail store on the side and there are so many things I can say about my job that relate to "professionalism" in the PT field. I don't know if that would come off as off topic and weird.

It depends how you pull it off. If you can relate it to the PT field then do so. I worked at Publix for years and definitely mentioned that in my essay.

The better to be more unique, tie it in.

Bump. Anyone else find this prompt much more difficult than the previous?

Undergrad: Loyola New Orleans
Major: Criminal Justice/Communications
Cum GPA: 3.0
Post-grad: Montgomery College (Maryland)
Prereq GPA: 3.69
GRE: 157V 151Q 3.5AW
Hours: Over 2,000 hours worked as a tech in various outpatient ortho clinics, 50 hrs volunteered in acute-care inpatient setting, 10 hours in skilled nursing facility

So far applying to: UMES, UM-Baltimore, NOVA Southeastern, Howard University, Daemen College, undecided on Baylor-Army due to past misdemeanors

Undergrad: UMass Boston (took some pre-reqs at other state colleges)
Major: Exercise and Health Science (concentration in Health Science)
Cum GPA: 3.85
Prereq GPA: 3.87
GRE: 170V 158Q 4.5AW
Hours: 16 inpatient neuro, 40 volunteer outpatient ortho, 1000 outpatient ortho tech
(also worked 1000 as CNA inpatient, 400 as EKG tech, 1200 as HHA)

Applying to : RGU, BU, MGHIHP, Simmons, UConn, Umass Lowell

Undergrad: Winona State University
Major: Exercise and Rehabilitative Science
Cum GPA: 3.9
Pre req GPA: 3.87 (still have to take chem 2 and physics 2 in the fall)
GRE: 149, 149, 3.5 AW : Weak point for me - but it's above the requirements for all the schools i'm applying to.
Hours: 85 hours outpatient (which included ortho, peds, neuro, geriatrics, etc.), 20 hours inpatient acute
Recommendation letters: 3 total - 1 from PT I connected very well with at outpatient clinic, 1 from my supervisor at my internship, and 1 from my professor/advisor from WSU.

Will likely be applying to the following : UW Madison (Early decision), UW Lacrosse, Concordia St Paul., NAU, UW Pudget Sound, maybe a few more but i'm banking on that early decision acceptance!

Last edited:
University: Stetson University
Major: Integrative Health Science
Minor: Public Health Studies
Last 60 Credit Hours GPA: ~3.85
Prerequisite GPA: ~3.5
Cumulative GPA: ~3.6
GRE: 155V 159Q 4.0AW
Observation Hours: ~100 in various settings

Applying to UCF, USF, UF, UNF, FGCU, & University of St. Augustine

Any tips or advice for these schools or my stats?

University: Temple U
Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Healthcare Mgmt./Spanish
Cum GPA: 3.65
Prereq: Depends on schools, about 3.6ish
GRE: 151V, 159 Q, 4.0 W
Observation: 150+ outpatient, currently organizing 80 inpatient and a few peds and fitness/wellness
Applying: Duke (ED), Rutgers North, NYU, Touro, Temple, Emory, and Miami

University: University of Mississippi
Major: B.S. Exercise Science, M.S. Biomechanics
Cumulative GPA: BS: 3.78, MS: 3.90
GRE: V:150 Q:163 W:4.5
Observation: ZERO(so far)
Relevant experience: Currently an exercise physiologist(about to start my third month), a year as a full time D1 strength and conditioning coach(1 year of internship experience), 2 years as an exercise science teaching/research GA, 4 years as a personal trainer

Assuming I reach the minimum number of observation hours, will my "relevant experience" make up for the limited hours and low verbal GRE score?

University: University of Mississippi
Major: B.S. Exercise Science, M.S. Biomechanics
Cumulative GPA: BS: 3.78, MS: 3.90
GRE: V:150 Q:163 W:4.5
Observation: ZERO(so far)
Relevant experience: Currently an exercise physiologist(about to start my third month), a year as a full time D1 strength and conditioning coach(1 year of internship experience), 2 years as an exercise science teaching/research GA, 4 years as a personal trainer

Assuming I reach the minimum number of observation hours, will my "relevant experience" make up for the limited hours and low verbal GRE score?

From my understanding, as long as you reach the minimum requirements for hours and it being in a variety of settings you will be good to go. Your experiences look good, GPA looks great, and your GRE score is very good. You should have no problem! I only have 149 on both sections of the GRE, and based on what i've seen on here people have been accepted with even lower scores than what I have, given the rest of their application 'made up for it' so to speak.

University: Texas Tech
Major: Nutritional Sciences & Dietetics
Minor: Kinesiology
Cumulative GPA: ~3.45 (will end up around 3.5 after summer courses)
Prereq GPA: Retaking Chemistry II, and taking Physics I and II so TBD
GRE: TBD (Taking in a couple weeks)
Observation: 100+ inpatient rehab, will be doing outpatient pediatrics and sports rehab this summer.
Applying: TTUHSC, UTEP, UNTHSC, UT Southwestern, University of New Mexico and University of North Carolina

University: University of Oregon
Major: Human Physiology
Minor: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.62
Prerequisite GPA: 3.66-3.79
GRE: TBD (taking it on July 24th)
Observation: 50 in outpatient orthopedics, 30 in inpatient geriatrics, 30 in pediatric outpatient; planning on observing in an acute clinic this summer for 5o hours and continue pediatric outpatient hours come fall
Extra-curricular: Human physiology peer advisor, Early Childhood Cares teacher assistant, Anatomy lab TA (for Fall 2016), Physiology grader TA (for Fall 2016), dissector in dissection elective course at U of O, Sacred Heart Medical Center volunteer in Orthopedics and Pediatrics Units

Planning to Apply to: George Fox University, Pacific University, University of St. Augustine, Loma Linda University, Arizona School of Health Sciences, Midwestern University - Glendale, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, Adventist University of Health Sciences, California State University, West Coast University

I have a question for ya'll. Do you suggest applying to schools on July 1st, even if you don't have GRE scores yet or enough observation hours? I know you can add observation hours and GRE scores after submitting the application, but do schools see the new updates? I'm not sure if applying early would be favorable to me or not.

Undergrad: University of Houston
Major: Kinesiology - Exercise Science (Health Professions)
Cum GPA: 3.66
Prereq GPA: Depends on schools, about 3.43
GRE: TBD (Won't take until 8/07, planning to submit all rolling applications by end of August)
Hours: 200+ hours worked as a tech in a private practice, 50 hrs volunteered in acute-care inpatient setting.
Relevant experience: PT tech experience, involved in LAM disease research independent study to assess effects of exercise on women with LAM.
Extracurriculars: President of pre-health campus organization for non-science majors, building supervisor at campus recreation center, worked at orphanage overseas in India, side-walker at equestrian therapy clinic for disabled children, attained first aid/ CPR certification, taught summer school at local tutoring center and worked closely with mentally/physically disabled students.

So far applying to:

Texas: Hardin-Simmons, ASU, UNT, UIW, UTMB, Texas Tech, TSU, UT Health, UT Southwestern, UT El Paso, TWU
California: Mount St. Mary's College, CSU Long Beach, Chapman University
Michigan: Oakland University
Massachusetts: American International College
New York: NYIT

I honestly don't know if the amount of schools I'm going to apply to is just too overwhelming but girl's gotta have choices!

Last edited:
Second Career Applicant - I've been working as a desk jockey (financial analyst/manager) since graduating.

Undergrad:
-JMU
-Northern Virginia CC for remaining prereqs
Major: Finance
cGPA: 3.25
Prereq GPA: 3.89
GRE: 160V 160Q 4.0 W
Observation Hours: 86.5 total so far - 38 outpatient ortho, 33.5 skilled nursing facility, 15 nuero PT

Where I'm planning to apply: UW Milwaukee, UTSW Dallas, VCU, NAU, U of South Carolina, USA (Austin), ECU

Only 10 more days until the PTCAS application is open!!! So exciting! Good luck to everyone!

Does have a 3.5AW score on the GRE significantly hurt your chances of admissions if you have over 150 in both Q and V sections?

Undergrad: University of Houston
Major: Kinesiology - Exercise Science (Health Professions)
Cum GPA: 3.66
Prereq GPA: Depends on schools, about 3.43
GRE: TBD (Won't take until 8/07, planning to submit all rolling applications by end of August)
Hours: 200+ hours worked as a tech in a private practice, 50 hrs volunteered in acute-care inpatient setting.
Relevant experience: PT tech experience, involved in LAM disease research independent study to assess effects of exercise on women with LAM.
Extracurriculars: President of pre-health campus organization for non-science majors, building supervisor at campus recreation center, worked at orphanage overseas in India, side-walker at equestrian therapy clinic for disabled children, attained first aid/ CPR certification, taught summer school at local tutoring center and worked closely with mentally/physically disabled students.

So far applying to:

Texas: UNT, UIW, UTMB, Texas Tech, TSU, UT Health, UT Southwestern, UT El Paso
California: USC, Mount St. Mary's College, CSU Long Beach, Chapman University
Michigan: Oakland University
Florida: University of North Florida
Massachusetts: American International College

I honestly don't know if the amount of schools I'm going to apply to is just too overwhelming but girl's gotta have choices!

Hey Dai!

Glad to see another Texas applicant!

I go to Sam Houston State, and I'll be applying to TWU, UNT, UTMB, Angelo State and Texas State!

If you're thinking about trimming down the number of schools you're applying to, here's something that might help: http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/About_PTCAS/PTCASApplicantDataRpt.pdf

It's the PTCAS applicant data report from last year, on page 8 it shows the number of schools last year's applicants applied to vs how many acceptances they received, the more school people applied to, the more chances they had to get in up to about 5 or 6. People that applied to more than 6 schools didn't really get any extra acceptances.

Not saying you shouldn't! It's up to you! Just wanted to share :) The data report also has a bunch of other useful information

Undergrad: University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
Major: Exercise & Sport Science
Cum. GPA: 3.6
Pre-req GPA: 3.34 (depending on schools)
GRE: Haven't taken yet (taking late July or early August)
Observation Hours: Total: 126 hours (44 outpatient, 82 inpatient so far)

Applying to: UW - La Crosse, UW - Madison, UW - Milwaukee, University of South Carolina, MUSC (first choice), Mayo
** no early decision seeing as my first choice does not participate

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. I had one bad semester that brought my cGPA and pGPA down a lot (3.7 to 3.58) so it is a slow process trying to get my cGPA back up. Fulfilled all of my pre-requisites already so I can't really change that.

Undergrad: U of South Carolina
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.85
pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 162 V, 160 Q
Observation Hours: 24 adult outpatient, 200+ outpatient peds aide (ongoing), cardio inpatient scheduled for July, 100+ OT hand
Applying: U of South Carolina, MUSC, Western Carolina, and Army Baylor (long shot)

Undergrad: University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
Major: Exercise & Sport Science
Cum. GPA: 3.6
Pre-req GPA: 3.34 (depending on schools)
GRE: Haven't taken yet (taking late July or early August)
Observation Hours: Total: 126 hours (44 outpatient, 82 inpatient so far)

Applying to: UW - La Crosse, UW - Madison, UW - Milwaukee, University of South Carolina, MUSC (first choice), Mayo
** no early decision seeing as my first choice does not participate

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. I had one bad semester that brought my cGPA and pGPA down a lot (3.7 to 3.58) so it is a slow process trying to get my cGPA back up. Fulfilled all of my pre-requisites already so I can't really change that.

Have you heard anything about UW-L admissions?? Any input would be appreciated! I've seen the admissions data on their site but haven't heard/read much about it. I'll be applying there early decision. I'm a WI resident too if that counts for anything.

Stats:

GPA: 3.96
Pre-req: 4.0
GRE: 155 V, 154 Q, 4.0 W
Hours: 112 total (45 inpatient, 45 SNF, 22 school/pediatric)

Have you heard anything about UW-L admissions?? Any input would be appreciated! I've seen the admissions data on their site but haven't heard/read much about it. I'll be applying there early decision. I'm a WI resident too if that counts for anything.

Stats:

I actually emailed UW-L with some questions. Some things I learned: ED window typically receives 100 applications from "very strong candidates", and they traditionally fill half their 45 seats prior to Nov 1st. They do not give preference to in-state students.

I feel like, assuming you have everything else in order, you have a really good shot.

Stats:

BA: Environmental Studies (NYU)
cGPA: 3.6-3.7
pre-GPA: 3.8
GRE: 162 V, 159 Q, 5.0 W
Hours: 250 outpatient ortho (gen pop, manual therapy, student athletes), 150 inpatient/outpatient peds, 70 inpatient neuro (more planned for fall)
Background: Non-trad, previously worked as a personal trainer for Equinox (went to top-notch vocational school for personal training)

Applying: NYC schools :)

I finally got my writing score back for the GRE, so time to post my stats! How do you guys feel about it? Also, good luck to everyone!

Undergrad:
UIC
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.75
pre-req GPA: 3.64-3.75 depending on how schools calculate it
GRE: 152 V, 161 Q 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: around 80 hours outpatient ortho (mixed in with sports), ~20 outpatient neuro, ~20 inpatient acute care (neuro and acute care currently in progress)
Extracirriculars: took 2 years off in a gap-year program prior to college, fundraising and using those funds to do service projects in overseas countries, pre-PT club, Pathways to Biology (I tutor biology at a prep school near UIC),
Applying: UIC, Rosalind Franklin, UNMC, Drexel, (still researching a few more schools around the midwest)

Stats:

You should have no problem getting in!

Ugh thank you for asking this question!! This prompt is so odd, I just don't really understand how to go about it. I look forward to reading other's responses..

Stats:

With those stats, every program will take you. You are the embodiment (numerically at least) of what anyone applying should look like. You could cross reference that from any school's website for stats of people admitted last year. Only question is if they interview or not, because ED should get you a seat. Good luck, Wiscoguy

Undergrad: ECU
Major: English Education
Prereq GPA: 3.5-4.0 (depending on retake policy)
GRE: 163V 153Q 4.5AW
Hours: 129 hrs (two outpatient facilities, inpatient neuro and general rehab unit, and school pt)
Extracurriculars: Hunger Fighters Organization, Co-Founded a Book Club at the high school where I worked, Sea Kayak Trip Instructor for an outdoor center during undergrad, Group Facilitator for "team building" (think ropes course) at same outdoor center, ESL Tutor

So far applying to: ECU, WCU, WSSU, UNC

Good luck everyone!

University of Iowa 2012
Major: Education and History (career changer)
cGPA: 3.6
pGPA: 4.0
GRE: taking July 23rd
Hours: 500+, I'm a pt tech for outpatient clinic.
Extracurriculars: Was a high school teacher for two years, a full time personal trainer for one year, and in college I was a membership director for an honors society. I was also in a band that toured.

Applying: Belmont (ED), TSU, WKU, Nova, possibly South College if they get accredited this year.