DPT and MHA combo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuscleAndBones4Life

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in undergrad right now, majoring in Exercise Science with minors in spanish and healthcare management. I 100% want to do Physical Therapy, but I do love being involved in upper level leadership roles, so I would also like to earn my MHA.

My plan right now is to earn my DPT, work for a bigger hospital that (hopefully) would help with the cost of my MHA degree and then work as both a healthcare practitioner/executive.

What do you guys think of this? All thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually the rehab directors at hospitals and rehab facilities only perform administrative type work, or will rarely fill in as a practitioner when needed. You don't need a MHA to get into management roles in therapy. You just need the right personality and desire for that type of work. It sounds like you want to be a PT. Go get your DPT, get some experience, and pursue management roles if that is still what you are interested in. At that point if you believe a MHA or MBA would benefit your work, your employer may endorse your further education.

I see myself doing something similar at some point in the future. I agree that it's best to get out in the field first and then see if you need that other degree to move into management. Also those degrees are easy to do online so you could start taking a class at a time for your MHA after you have been a PT for a few years. But of administration is really where your heart is, why not ditch PT and go after that instead ?

Pick MHA or go PT and do clinical for a while with possible move to management. A joint is an awful financial decision at this point in time with costs unless you can get scholarships (there aren't scholarships actually worth much).