DPT Application Cycle 2019-2020 - 2020 start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm torn, too. I could be happy at any of the places I applied to, and I loved St. Louis and Atlanta. Birmingham is close to home, and has in-state tuition... but the one place I'm most terrified of going is Mayo because it's way colder than I've ever lived in and it's the hardest curriculum I've seen. :scared: They pack the most hours into the fewest semesters, and I'm worried I won't keep up like I should. But, because I'm terrified of going there, I think that's where I'll go unless someone offers me an insane package I can't turn down. It'd be good for me. :giggle:
I completely understand about the weather. I’m from North Dakota, so Iowa is actually a lot warmer than my hometown (I know :lame:). Iowa is only 7 terms, whereas Mayo is 8. However, the biggest influence for me, besides finances, is the clinical opportunities and Mayo’s are basically unmatched. It would be hard to walk away from that much clinic time, but in-state tuition is a really hard thing to pass up too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What were your stats?
University: University of Arizona
Major: BS Nutritional Sciences Minor: Biochemistry
Overall GPA: 3.35
Pre-Req GPA: 3.09
GRE: V 150, Q 156, AWA 4
LOR: 1 PT/AT, 1 PT (employer), 1 AT (mentor/employer), 1 pre-req CC professor
Hours: 3000-outpatient (ortho, geriatric, pediatrics, neuro, sports, OT)
Other: Athletic Trainer technician for Arizona Athletics (3 years), Sports Nutrition internship with Arizona Athletics Sports RDN (2 years), Resident Assistant (1 year), Student Health Advocacy Committee (club-2 years), Parkinson's Wellness Recovery (volunteer-20 hours), POWWOW - Local Tucson Food Shelter (volunteer-150 hours), Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, and Swim Coach (2 years each)

2 of my LORs (PT/AT and AT) were alumni from the Shenandoah program. Nothing exceedingly special about my application. What I lacked in academics, I supplemented with great connections (LOR), extra-curricular, and a lot of observation hours. Interview went well too because it was more conversational than the more intimidating one sided interaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely understand about the weather. I’m from North Dakota, so Iowa is actually a lot warmer than my hometown (I know :lame:). Iowa is only 7 terms, whereas Mayo is 8. However, the biggest influence for me, besides finances, is the clinical opportunities and Mayo’s are basically unmatched. It would be hard to walk away from that much clinic time, but in-state tuition is a really hard thing to pass up too!
Yeah, I'm planning on going for PSLF now, so the finances aren't as huge anymore. Mayo is still the second most affordable one. :laugh:

Early Decision: No
Regular Decision: MUSC, Belmont, Duke, Emory, Central Arkansas, Emory and Henry, Ohio University, Chatham University, University of Toledo

#1 choice: MUSC!

Accepted: Chatham, Emory and Henry, Emory, MUSC, Ohio University,
Interview granted: Chatham, Emory and Henry, Emory, OU, Toledo(didn't go), Belmont (didn't go)
Waitlisted: Belmont (Interview invite in Jan), OU (taken off waitlist Jan 20)
Denied: UCA,

Attending: MUSC!!

Final Update!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Regular Decision: MUSC, Belmont, Duke, Emory, Central Arkansas, Emory and Henry, Ohio University, Chatham University, University of Toledo

#1 choice: MUSC!

Accepted: Chatham, Emory and Henry, Emory, MUSC
Interview granted: Chatham, Emory and Henry, Emory, OU, Toledo(didn't go)
Waitlisted: Belmont, OU
Denied: UCA,

Attending: MUSC!!

Final Update!!! :)
Congrats on choosing MUSC! I interviewed at E&H last weekend and it’s my top choice so I’m super worried I won’t get in. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats on choosing MUSC! I interviewed at E&H last weekend and it’s my top choice so I’m super worried I won’t get in. Do you mind sharing your stats?
Thank you! My stats are:
cGPA: 3.67
GRE: 312
Hours: about 200
3 recommendation letters- 2 from PTs and 1 from a boss
Hope this helps! :)

Regular Decision: University of North Dakota, University of Minnesota, University of South Dakota, University of Jamestown (ND), University of Iowa, Des Moines University, Mayo Clinic

#1 choice: Mayo or University of Iowa

Accepted: U of MN (11/7), Mayo Clinic (11/8), University of Jamestown (11/21), University of Iowa (12/18)

Interview granted: Mayo (10/25), U of Iowa (11/8), U of Jamestown (11/16), Des Moines U (12/12-declined)

Waitlisted: N/A
Denied: N/A

Attending: Mayo or University of Iowa

Has anyone else been accepted to Mayo or Iowa and plan on attending? Also, looking for any advice about either school. Best of luck to everyone!!
Were you waitlisted at Minnesota or were you accepted immediately?

Edit: I was waitlisted back in September and am curious if they’ve started pulling people off of it yet.

Early decision: none
Regular decision: Sac State, CSU Northridge, CSULB, Shenandoah, Samuel Merritt, West Coast University

#1 choice: none

Accepted: Samuel Merritt

Interview granted: Shenandoah , West coast (1/30)

Waitlisted: Shenandoah

Denied: Sac State

Attending:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When did you hear back from West Coast?
I just got an email saying that they're still considering my application.

Were you waitlisted at Minnesota or were you accepted immediately?

Edit: I was waitlisted back in September and am curious if they’ve started pulling people off of it yet.
I was accepted initially. I declined my spot a few days after that. Hope that helps!

Has anyone heard anything back from Kean University since the December interview or know when we should expect to?

When did you hear back from West Coast?
I just got an email saying that they're still considering my application.

I heard back Dec 27. I ended up withdrawing my application, so hopefully you get an interview invite. They should be hosting another set of interviews in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were your stats as you were applying?

GPA: 4.0 @ Northwestern State University of Louisiana
GRE: 154,154,4.5
Observation: 1000 hrs at one clinic
No significant volunteer hours, not really any experience in diverse settings
Student Athlete for 4 years

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything back from Kean University since the December interview or know when we should expect to?
I actually just received an email stating that I was waitlisted for the program. Did anyone else receive an acceptance/waitlist/decline?

What was the interview for Pacific U like? I have my interview this weekend, I am curious what kinds of questions they asked, if it is one on one or group, if there is a writing portion, etc.?
Because it was so last minute I turned it down. I’m crossing my fingers for my other four options.

Early Decision: Nope!
Regular Decision: Duke, U of Iowa, U of Utah, U of Colorado, U of NM, NAU

#1 choice: U of Utah

Accepted: list school(s): U of Utah
Interview granted: Duke, U of Iowa, NAU, UNM
Waitlisted: list school(s): U of Iowa, NAU
Denied: Duke

Attending: University of Utah!!!!!

Has anyone done the interview process at Iowa before (or is going this time around)? I have that upcoming and am very interested!

So happy to say this is UPDATED!! What a freaking stressful process.

Early Decision: none
Regular Decision: University of Washington, Pacific University, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions

#1 choice: Pacific University

Accepted: RMUHP (1/21) !!!
Interview granted: Pacific University (1/11) and RMUHP (1/17); UW doesn't interview
Waitlisted: TBD
Denied: TBD

Attending: I will know in a few weeks!

Update!!! Accepted into Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions! :) hopefully this means that Pacific U also liked me!

Early Decision: none
Regular Decision: Pacific University, CSU Fresno, CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, Samuel Merritt, Western University, West Coast U, USF, Univ of Washington

#1 choice: any tbh.

Accepted: tbd
Interview granted: pacific university (1/18), csu fresno (2/1), western u (1/14), west coast (1/31)
Waitlisted: tbd
Denied: tbd

Attending:tbd

UPDATE:

Accepted: Western University
Interview granted: pacific university (1/18), csu fresno (2/1), west coast (1/31)
Waitlisted: CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge
Denied: Samuel Merritt

Last edited:
Early Decision: Duke
Regular Decision: Duke, U of Iowa, U of Pitt, U of South Carolina, U of Miami, NAU, Central Arkansas, Drexel, Missouri State, Creighton

#1 choice: Undecided

Accepted: South Carolina, Pitt, Creighton, Missouri State
Interview granted: Duke, Creighton, NAU, Central Arkansas, Drexel, U of Miami

Waitlisted: none
Denied: Duke

Attending: CREIGHTON!!!!!

Note: I chose not to go to a lot of the interviews because I got accepted to Creighton pretty early and I knew it was one of my top choices!

When were you accepted to Pitt if you don't mind me asking!

Has anyone else heard from Pitt's DPT program recently? I've still heard nothing after being notified by email on 9/27 that they received my application.
Thanks in advance!

Has anyone else heard from Pitt's DPT program recently? I've still heard nothing after being notified by email on 9/27 that they received my application.
Thanks in advance!
I have not heard anything either! I emailed them and they said I will know a decision in the next 2 months... (emailed January 6th)

UPDATE:

Accepted: WESTERN UNIVERSITY
Interview granted: pacific university (1/18), csu fresno (2/1), west coast (1/31)
What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking.

UPDATE:

Congratulations
UPDATE:

Awesome, congrats on your acceptance to Western! :) Western is one of my top choices. Would it be okay if I messaged you about your experience interviewing there? I will be interviewing 2/5.

Early Decision: no

Regular Decision: Tennessee State, Georgia State, Emory, Georgia Southern/ Armstrong, & St. Augustine (St. Augustine campus)

#1 choice: Georgia State

Interview granted: Emory, Georgia State, Georgia Southern/ Armstrong (declined), & St. Augustine (declined) --
Got accepted at Emory before the rest, besides Georgia State, & I wanted to stay close to home so I didn't attend the other interviews.

Accepted: Emory & Georgia State

Waitlisted: Georgia State originally, then got accepted a week later

Denied: Tennessee State (seats filled w/ early decision applicants)

Attending: Georgia State University!

Is anyone else Georgia State DPT '23? If so, respond to this! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regular Decision: Tennessee State, Georgia State, Emory, Georgia Southern/ Armstrong, & St. Augustine (St. Augustine campus)

#1 choice: Georgia State or Emory

Accepted: Emory, Georgia State

Interview granted: Emory, Georgia State, Georgia Southern/ Armstrong, & St. Augustine --
Got accepted at Emory before the rest, besides Georgia State, & I wanted to stay close to home so I didn't attend the other interviews.

Waitlisted: Georgia State originally, then got accepted a week later

Denied: Tennessee State (seats filled w/ early decision applicants)

Attending: Georgia State University :)

Is anyone else Georgia State DPT '23? If so, respond to this! Thanks.
Hey, add your stats for us if you're up for it! We love seeing stats here. :D

I received a rejection letter this afternoon. Hope you get/got in!
I received one as well... :/ best of luck to those still waiting and you too for any remaining applications you have yet to hear back from!!

Regular Decision: MGH IHP, Wash U, University of South Carolina, Duke, Emory, UNE, Belmont, Northeastern, Boston University

#1 choice: MGH IHP

Accepted: MGH IHP(1/22), Wash U
Interview granted: UNE (turned down interview)
Waitlisted: MGH IHP (12/17)
Denied: BU, Emory, University of South Carolina

Attending: MGH IHP!

Regular Decision: Cleveland State, Ohio State, Ohio University, University of Toledo, University of Dayton, Indiana State, Nova Southeastern- Tampa, East Tennessee State, Arkansas State, Chatham University

#1 choice: no preference

Accepted: Indiana State, University of Dayton

Interview granted: Ohio State, Ohio University, University of Dayton, University of Toledo, Indiana State, Nova Southeastern- Tampa (still have not heard from East Tennessee State or Arkansas State as their deadlines aren’t until March and February, respectively)

Waitlisted: Ohio State, Ohio University, University of Dayton (accepted off waitlist), Chatham University, Cleveland State

Denied: none (still have not heard anything from Nova Southeastern- Tampa or Toledo)

Attending: Indiana State !!

Early Decision: None
Regular Decision: UCF, UNF, Nova-Ft. Lauderdale, Wash U, Duke, U of Tennessee-Chattanooga, CSULB

Interviews: UCF
Accepted: Wash U

Waitlisted: U of Tennessee-Chattanooga, CSULB
Denied: None

Attending: TBD

Regular Decision: Columbia, CSI, Hunter, Seton Hall, Neumann, Temple, Touro Manhattan, Rutgers North, Rutgers South, DeSales, Arcadia

#1 choice: N/A

Accepted: Neumann, Touro Manhattan
Interview granted: Rutgers North, Columbia, Neumann, CSI
Waitlisted: Columbia, Rutgers North, Seton Hall
Denied: DeSales, Rutgers South, Hunter, CSI, Temple, Arcadia

Attending: Touro!

Last edited:

Regular Decision: UF, Miami, Emory, MUSC, Duke, George Washington, Drexel, Pitt, University of Colorado

Interviews: Miami, Emory, George Washington, Drexel, Colorado

Waitlist: Colorado

Acceptances: UF, Miami, Emory, MUSC, George Washington, Drexel, Pitt

Attending: Emory!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Regular Decision: UF, Miami, Emory, MUSC, Duke, George Washington, Drexel, Pitt, University of Colorado

Interviews: Miami, Emory, George Washington, Drexel, Colorado

Waitlist: Colorado

Acceptances: UF, Miami, Emory, MUSC, George Washington, Drexel, Pitt

Attending: Emory!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
What are your stats?

UPDATE

Regular Decision: UCSF, USC, Columbia, Northwestern, Duke, University of Illinois, Chapman, Western University

#1 choice: USC or UCSF

Accepted: Western University (denied), USC
Interview granted: Columbia (11/22), UCSF (1/11), Western University (1/29)
Waitlisted: UCSF, Northwestern, Columbia (3rd Tier)
Denied: Duke, University of Illinois

Attending: USC!!!

I was waitlisted at USC and these three other schools. I got an email that I was on the waitlist 2/5 and got off the waitlist 3/10. Don't lose hope guys!

Last edited:
Do you mind telling me your stats?
Cumulative GPA: UCSD 3.2
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
GRE: quant 150 verbal 153 essay 4.0
Outpatient hours: over 1000 both I teen and paid
Pediatric hours:60
Inpatient: 100
4 strong letters of rec, 3 PT and one professor
I also will mention that this is my second career and I had to go back to community college to get all my prerequisites done. So I am a bit of a non traditional applicant which gives me an advantage since I had more time to get experience in the field.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Regular Decision: Chatham University, Slippery Rock University, University of Pittsburgh

#1 choice: University of Pittsburgh

Accepted: Chatham University, Slippery Rock University
Interview granted: Chatham University
Waitlisted:
Denied:

Attending: Deposited at Chatham, but still waiting to here back from Pitt, as this is my top choice!

Stats:
College Attended: La Roche College
Undergraduate Majors: Biology, Performing, Arts
GRE: 151, 153. 4.5 Writing
Undergraduate Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.83
Awards and honors: Deans List, Who's who among American Colleges and Universities nominee, La Roche College President's Award nominee
Letters: 2 PT, 1 Professor of Chemistry (head of chemistry department), 1 ballet company director/ employer
Experience: Full time Ballet Teacher x2 years, Working for outpatient physical therapist x1 year as PT Technician
Observation Hours: 250+ outpatient, 50 inpatient
Extra-curriculars: Apprentice at Bodiography Contemporary Ballet Company

Regular Decision: UCF, UNF, Nova-Ft. Lauderdale, Wash U, Duke, U of Tennessee-Chattanooga, CSULB

Interviews: UCF
Accepted: Wash U

Waitlisted: U of Tennessee-Chattanooga, CSULB
Denied: None

Hey, I interviewed at UCF as well (November 22nd). When was your interview date? And did they tell you anything about when they would hear back as far as decisions go?

Hey, I interviewed at UCF as well (November 22nd). When was your interview date? And did they tell you anything about when they would hear back as far as decisions go?

First, congrats on the interview! I interviewed on the 22nd as well and I haven't heard anything yet. From what I gathered, they will make the majority of acceptance calls after the final interview date on the 31st. However, if a candidate is a no brainer then faculty may make an admissions offer sooner.

Regular Decision: Rutgers South, Stockton College, Seton Hall, Temple, Jefferson, Sacred Heart, Boston University

#1 choice: Initially Stockton, after interview and more research, Rutgers South

Accepted: Rutgers South, Boston University
Interview granted: Rutgers
Waitlisted: none
Denied: Temple, Jefferson, Sacred Heart, Stockton
No word from Seton Hall yet

Attending: Rutgers South

Stats:
BS in Athletic Training from Sacred Heart, GPA 3.3
MS in human Physiology from Boston University, GPA 3.1
GRE: 153, 154, 3.5
Letters: 3, one from a PT I observed with, one from former academic adviser, one from current boss.
Experience: working as athletic trainer in college setting for 6 years.
Observation Hours: 120 outpatient, 30ish sub acute.
Extra-curriculars: EMT for 11 years with 3 years in a supervisor role.

Good luck everyone.

Regular Decision: University of Iowa, Des Moines University, University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Creighton, Belmont, and Sacred Heart

#1 choice: I really don’t know

Accepted: DMU 1/22
Interview granted: University of Iowa 11/15, Des Moines University 1/10, and Creighton (declined)
Waitlisted: University of Minnesota and Iowa, deferred at Belmont and DMU
Denied: Sacred Heart, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee emailed me and told me they filled their entire class with ED so they weren’t reviewing my application

Update! Got accepted to Des Moines University :)))

First, congrats on the interview! I interviewed on the 22nd as well and I haven't heard anything yet. From what I gathered, they will make the majority of acceptance calls after the final interview date on the 31st. However, if a candidate is a no brainer then faculty may make an admissions offer sooner.
Thanks! Congratulations to you too! I appreciate the details! Hey, we probably spoke to one another too lol

Did you apply anywhere else?

Thanks! Congratulations to you too! I appreciate the details! Hey, we probably spoke to one another too lol

Did you apply anywhere else?
I applied to Nova Southeastern-Fort Lauderdale, Cal. State Long Beach, U of North Florida, Duke, Washington U in St. Louis, and U of Texas-Medical Branch, and U of Tennessee-Chattanooga

So far i've been accepted to Wash U, waitlisted at CSULB (high-tier), and waitlisted at U of Tennessee Chattanooga (they accepted all Early Decision applicants)

I received an interview from UTMB as well but decided to decline.

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I got accepted into Pitt's DPT program on January 8th, and my deposit was due on January 27th, so I imagine they're still looking at how many spots weren't filled/deposits weren't submitted, so you should hear back soon. Good luck!! :)

Regular Decision: NAU, CSUN, University of Miami, University of Washington, University of Vermont, Nova Southeastern U - Tampa, NSU Fort Lauderdale, George Washington U, West Coast U, Rocky Mountain U

#1 choice: UW

Accepted: University of Vermont
Interview granted: GWU and West Coast
Denied: NAU, CSUN

Regular Decision: NAU, CSUN, University of Miami, University of Washington, University of Vermont, Nova Southeastern U - Tampa, NSU Fort Lauderdale, George Washington U, West Coast U, Rocky Mountain U

#1 choice: UW

Accepted: University of Vermont
Interview granted: GWU and West Coast
Denied: NAU, CSUN

When did you submitt your application to west coast?

Regular Decision: University of Washington (Seattle), Eastern Washington University, Regis University, University of Nevada Las Vegas, Touro University Nevada, West Coast University, Franklin Pierce University Arizona, Pacific University, University of Miami

#1 choice: I have a top 3, in no order: UNLV, UW, EWU

Accepted: Franklin Pierce U AZ (deposit paid), Touro Nevada (declined)
Interview granted: University of Miami (11/8), Pacific U (1/18), UNLV (1/25), Regis U (1/31)
Waitlisted: Pacific U, UNLV, Eastern WA
Denied:

Update, pretty bummed I'm on the 3rd tier for Pacific U and #21-30 for UNLV. I felt pretty good about my UNLV interview. I'm trying to stay positive because they said they typically accept 25-30 off their waitlist.