DPT Application Cycle 2019-2020 - 2020 start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
College: Wake Forest University
Major: Health and Exercise Science
cGPA: 3.57
pGPA: about the same
GRE: V - 159, Q - 154, AW - 4.5
Observation Hours: 100 hours in inpatient and outpatient settings.
EC: Research Fellowship, Personal Trainer, President of Best Buddies, Teaching Intern, Respite Caretaker for Woman with Autism, Fitness Attendant, Volunteer at Children's Hospital, Sorority, Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Applied: Boston University, Columbia, MGH IHP, MCPHS, Northeastern, Simmons, Stony Brook, Wash U STL
Accepted: Columbia (11/18 after interview on 11/8), MGH IHP (12/17), MCPHS (10/23 after interview on 10/9), Simmons (12/21 with merit scholarship), Wash U STL (10/2)
Rejected: Stony Brook (11/22)
I'm having a hard time choosing a program and would appreciate any advice. I am between Wash U STL, Columbia, and MGH IHP, but am also considering Simmons because of the scholarship I received. Any helpful information is so appreciated!
Congrats! Just curious if you received scholarship info from Simmons in the email decision letter? Or was that mailed separately in an admissions packet?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Just curious if you received scholarship info from Simmons in the email decision letter? Or was that mailed separately in an admissions packet?
I did receive it in the email decision letter.

Early Decision: No
Regular Decision: Emory, Emory&Henry, WUSTL, Mayo Clinic, Drexel, Stony Brook, Old Dominion, UVM

#1 choice: Undecided

Accepted:
Interview granted:
Mayo Clinic (11/12), E&H (11/14)
Waitlisted: None
Denied: None

Attending:
We applied to several of the same places (Emory, Mayo, WUSTL)- how is your search going? Did you end up getting an Emory interview? You look like someone I interviewed with there, but I'm terrible with faces. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!!! I also got an interview at Sac and had a quick question. In the email it doesn't say that we need to accept the interview invitation, right? We just have to call on/after January 9th to schedule the time slot we want?
yes i was wondering that too. but looks like we just call

Does anyone know the chances of getting pulled off the waitlists at MUSC and Ohio Univeristy? My boyfriend is on MUSC but I’m in and I’m on the OU waitlist and he’s in lol so we’re trying to see the odds of us both getting in to the same school! Thanks!

Does anyone know the chances of getting pulled off the waitlists at MUSC and Ohio Univeristy? My boyfriend is on MUSC but I’m in and I’m on the OU waitlist and he’s in lol so we’re trying to see the odds of us both getting in to the same school! Thanks!
If neither of you end up getting off your respective waitlists, if your relationship was meant to be it’ll last throughout the 3 years of school. Don’t go to a specific school just because your SO is.

Reactions: 1 users
Chances are that one of you will get pulled off, at least. Not a guarantee by any stretch, but likely. I dunno what his stats are, but your stats are good so it's a fair shot. ;) Having a partner doing the same curriculum as you would be very useful, as long as you both have the self-discipline to study and not get off track too much. I used to love dating someone taking the same classes as me because we could talk about it and quiz each other more effectively than a normal study buddy or a partner not in the class.

Reactions: 1 user
If neither of you end up getting off your respective waitlists, if your relationship was meant to be it’ll last throughout the 3 years of school. Don’t go to a specific school just because your SO is.
Oh yeah we’re not planning to go anywhere just for the other, we’re just seeing the likelihood since we’re planning our future. Not a necessity just would be a nice bonus :)

Chances are that one of you will get pulled off, at least. Not a guarantee by any stretch, but likely. I dunno what his stats are, but your stats are good so it's a fair shot. ;) Having a partner doing the same curriculum as you would be very useful, as long as you both have the self-discipline to study and not get off track too much. I used to love dating someone taking the same classes as me because we could talk about it and quiz each other more effectively than a normal study buddy or a partner not in the class.
I agree! Thanks for your input :)

Early Decision: None
Regular Decision: Shenandoah(Dual DPT/MSAT), Baylor(hybrid), Pacific University, University of Washington, Rosalind Franklin, Texas Woman's, Samuel Merritt, CSU Long Beach, Chapman University, Duke

#1 choice: Shenandoah(Dual DPT/MSAT)

Accepted: Shenandoah(Dual DPT/MSAT)
Interview granted: Shenandoah, Rosalind Franklin
Waitlisted: n/a
Denied: Baylor, Pacific, TW, SM, Duke

Attending: SHENANDOAH DUAL DEGREE DPT/MSAT!!!

Last edited:
Regular Decision: Shenandoah, Drexel, Temple, UM-Baltimore, Marymount, George Washington

#1 choice: none

Accepted: Shenandoah, Drexel, Temple, Marymount, George Washington

Interview granted: Shenandoah, Drexel, Temple, UM-Baltimore, Marymount, George Washington

Waitlisted: UM-Baltimore

Denied: n/a

Attending: Drexel!!!

Early decision: none
Regular decision: Sac State, CSU Northridge, CSULB, Shenandoah, Samuel Merritt, West Coast University

Accepted: Samuel Merritt

Interview granted: Shenandoah , West coast (1/30)

Waitlisted: Shenandoah

Denied: Sac State

Attending:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Regular Decision: Shenandoah, Drexel, Temple, UM-Baltimore, Marymount, George Washington

Accepted: Shenandoah, Drexel, Temple, Marymount, George Washington

Interview granted: Shenandoah, Drexel, Temple, UM-Baltimore, Marymount, George Washington

Waitlisted: UM-Baltimore

Attending: Drexel!!!
Hi!
we applied to a lot of the same schools. When did you interview/hear back from Temple. I interviewed recently but haven't heard anything yet. I was also waitlisted to UM :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
we applied to a lot of the same schools. When did you interview/hear back from Temple. I interviewed recently but haven't heard anything yet. I was also waitlisted to UM :-/
A couple days after the interview, I interviewed back in November.

Regular Decision: Temple, Arcadia, Widener, Rutgers South, Chatham, SUNY Upstate, University of Buffalo

#1 choice: Temple or Buffalo

Accepted: Temple (12/18), Arcadia (1/29)

Interview granted: Temple (12/6), Widener (declined), SUNY Upstate (2/7)

Waitlisted: Arcadia (1/17), Chatham (1/23)

Denied: Rutgers South

Attending: TBD

Last edited:
Regular Decision: OSU, OU, Toledo, Youngstown State, Mount St. Joe, Mount Union, Walsh University

#1 choice: OU

Accepted: Mount Union, Youngstown, Toledo
Interview granted: OSU, OU, Toledo, MSJ, MU, Walsh U
Waitlisted: OU, Walsh University
Denied: none

Attending: still waiting to hear back from OU and OSU before deciding

Regular Decision: Ohio State University, Ohio University, University of Toledo, University of Dayton, University of Iowa, Duke, Western Kentucky University, University of South Carolina

#1 choice: Ohio State or Univ of Iowa

Accepted: University of Dayton (11/19), OU (12/2), University of Iowa (12/30)
Interview granted: Iowa (11/8), Dayton (11/15), OU (11/23), Toledo (declined the interview), Ohio State (12/14)
Waitlisted: Ohio State University
Denied: Duke

Attending: University of Iowa!!!!!!

Regular Decision: Shenandoah(Dual DPT/MSAT), Baylor(hybrid), Pacific University, University of Washington, Rosalind Franklin, Texas Woman's, Samuel Merritt, CSU Long Beach, Chapman University, Duke

#1 choice: Shenandoah(Dual DPT/MSAT)

Accepted: Shenandoah(Dual DPT/MSAT)
Interview granted: Shenandoah, Rosalind Franklin
Waitlisted: list school(s)
Denied: Baylor, Pacific, UW, TW, SM, Duke

Attending: SHENANDOAH DUAL DEGREE DPT/MSAT!!!

when did you hear back from UW and Duke? I applied to both and I haven’t heard anything yet.

Early Decision: Yes - St. Augustine - Austin, TX
Regular Decision: None

#1 choice: USA - Austin

Accepted: USA - Austin!
Interview granted: USA - Austin
Waitlisted: None
Denied: None

Attending: You get my drift...

This was my third time applying and my GPA/GRE were low (2.98/140's)! But I did the one thing that many applicants tend to over look - apply to the right school for me! I've been looking at this forum for years and applicants are still worried about school ranks and looking for validation of whether they'll get accepted with a 3.999 GPA and 169 GRE scores. None of that matters. Figure out what your goals are and decide what schools are your best options. Period. My goal is to get in and get out of school so I can live my life already. Every school that is accredited should prepare you for boards. Do what you gotta do and you'll do well. No one will ever care what school you went to. So apply smart and you'll get in... Even with mediocre grades.

Can I get some of your insight as to how you got in? Im in a similar boat as far as grades and everything else, this is spot on. If you dont mind me asking, what were your science gpa and did you have anything else that helped get you in? Also, does the flex program at your school have early decision? Does going early decision make it easier to get in?

Applied: WJU, Chatham, Marshall University, WVU, Bellarmine, OU, Scranton University, Mount St. Joseph

#1 Choice: Marshall University
Rejections: OU
Waitlist: Chatham
Interviews: Chatham (11/2), WJU (11/22), Mount St. Joseph (1/10)
Acceptances: WJU (11/25), MU (1/6/2020)

UPDATE!!

Just got accepted into my #1 Marshall University (1-6-2020) :soexcited: :clap:
Attending Marshall University!!!

Regular Decision: Temple, Arcadia, Widener, Rutgers South, Chatham, SUNY Upstate, University of Delaware, University of Buffalo

#1 choice: Temple or Buffalo

Accepted: Temple (12/18)

Interview granted: Temple (12/6), Widener (declined), SUNY Upstate (2/7)

Waitlisted: N/A

Denied: Rutgers South, Chatham

Attending: TBD
Stats?

cGPA: 3.25
pGPA: 3.3-3.4 depending on school
graduate program GPA: 3.94
GRE: 158 V, 152 Q, 4.0 AW
1500 observation hours - outpatient ortho/sport, outpatient aquatic, inpatient (cardio, peds, neuro), SNF

Regular Decision: MUSC, Belmont, Duke, Emory, Central Arkansas, Emory and Henry, Ohio University, Chatham University, University of Toledo

#1 choice: Still deciding!

Accepted: Chatham, Emory and Henry, MUSC, Emory University
Interview granted: Chatham, Emory and Henry, Emory, OU, Toledo,
Waitlisted: Belmont
Denied: UCA

Attending:tbd
Update! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone apply to Hampton? Heard back from them?
I have and all I've received is an email saying I will be contacted when my application status changes.

Due to the volume of applications there is no time frame that can be provide on when a final decision on admission will be made.

Has anyone been accepted to Governors State University in Illinois, and if so will you be attending? Trying to decide what school I will be attending and it's cutting close to the deadline to decide. I'm pretty torn about Governors State since it is not a well-known program however the pass rate on the licensing exam is strong and the cost of the program would be cheapest for me compared to all of the other schools I have been accepted to.

I have and all I've received is an email saying I will be contacted when my application status changes.

Due to the volume of applications there is no time frame that can be provide on when a final decision on admission will be made.
Gotcha okay! I got the same one. Thank you!

I did get accepted as well! I accepted the position but haven’t put down my deposit yet. I am still debating but I agree the pass rate and expense is also what drew me in. I currently work in a clinic though and my boss had mentioned that once you’re out of grad school it’s not so much where you went or what your GPA was but that you are a kind empathetic person and have a personality that works well with others. I also talked to the students that day at the interview I went to and they said that Governors State gives off a generalist vibe so we as students can adapt to any setting because they focus on teaching everything instead of like being a school known for neuro or some other field.
Has anyone been accepted to Governors State University in Illinois, and if so will you be attending? Trying to decide what school I will be attending and it's cutting close to the deadline to decide. I'm pretty torn about Governors State since it is not a well-known program however the pass rate on the licensing exam is strong and the cost of the program would be cheapest for me compared to all of the other schools I have been accepted to.
I

I did get accepted as well! I accepted the position but haven’t put down my deposit yet. I am still debating but I agree the pass rate and expense is also what drew me in. I currently work in a clinic though and my boss had mentioned that once you’re out of grad school it’s not so much where you went or what your GPA was but that you are a kind empathetic person and have a personality that works well with others. I also talked to the students that day at the interview I went to and they said that Governors State gives off a generalist vibe so we as students can adapt to any setting because they focus on teaching everything instead of like being a school known for neuro or some other field.

I
Have you registered for or taken the Intro to PT course yet by chance? I JUST applied to the undergrad school (as a non degree seeking student since I go to a different college) in order to that course and I’m nervous about not having enough time to register for the course before classes start since I have my application needs to processed.

I have also heard that it’s not so much where you go to school but the clinical opportunities that you experience! Governors State has 5 clinicals which is actually one of the highest amount of clinicals offered compared to other programs. They also have a requirement that you have to do inpatient, outpatient, neuro, and ortho in your rotations, so you know you will be experiencing a lot of different areas of the field instead of maybe all outpatient ortho. I am pretty sure I will be attending here as I think the program will prepare me to become a great licensed physical therapist along with keeping me out of extreme debt like some other schools. This is only 3 years of our lives and it will be a shame having to pay for it until we possibly retire. I calculated monthly payments after I graduate from grad school and the amount of my monthly payments after graduating from here compared to the other program I am deciding between will be substantial.

I know money shouldn’t be the biggest factor but since I think the program will provide me all the right tools to be successful I can’t help but think how much more stress-free my life will be graduating with a lot less debt.

Have you registered for or taken the Intro to PT course yet by chance? I JUST applied to the undergrad school (as a non degree seeking student since I go to a different college) in order to that course and I’m nervous about not having enough time to register for the course before classes start since I have my application needs to processed.

I have also heard that it’s not so much where you go to school but the clinical opportunities that you experience! Governors State has 5 clinicals which is actually one of the highest amount of clinicals offered compared to other programs. They also have a requirement that you have to do inpatient, outpatient, neuro, and ortho in your rotations, so you know you will be experiencing a lot of different areas of the field instead of maybe all outpatient ortho. I am pretty sure I will be attending here as I think the program will prepare me to become a great licensed physical therapist along with keeping me out of extreme debt like some other schools. This is only 3 years of our lives and it will be a shame having to pay for it until we possibly retire. I calculated monthly payments after I graduate from grad school and the amount of my monthly payments after graduating from here compared to the other program I am deciding between will be substantial.

I know money shouldn’t be the biggest factor but since I think the program will provide me all the right tools to be successful I can’t help but think how much more stress-free my life will be graduating with a lot less debt.

I have not taken the intro class yet! I called the admissions department yesterday and they told me that it takes 2 days typically to have the non degree seeking student application to get through but they are currently doing open advising next week everyday from open until 4:30 and you can find out right then and there about your status. I know there is a class that starts in March too for the intro to PT class so if you don’t register in time no worries.
I’ve heard different about their clinical rotations but I could be wrong! I agree though, money shouldn’t be the biggest factor but in all reality, it will be once you graduate. My friend currently goes to GSU and she says that’s the only reason she made her decision was based off monetary purposes and she loves the program so clearly it’s a great choice then! Plus, you need to incorporate any undergrad debt that you would have on top of the graduate school debt so that would be a big life saver.

I have not taken the intro class yet! I called the admissions department yesterday and they told me that it takes 2 days typically to have the non degree seeking student application to get through but they are currently doing open advising next week everyday from open until 4:30 and you can find out right then and there about your status. I know there is a class that starts in March too for the intro to PT class so if you don’t register in time no worries.
I’ve heard different about their clinical rotations but I could be wrong! I agree though, money shouldn’t be the biggest factor but in all reality, it will be once you graduate. My friend currently goes to GSU and she says that’s the only reason she made her decision was based off monetary purposes and she loves the program so clearly it’s a great choice then! Plus, you need to incorporate any undergrad debt that you would have on top of the graduate school debt so that would be a big life saver.
What have you heard about their clinicals??? If you don’t mind sharing! Thanks!

What have you heard about their clinicals??? If you don’t mind sharing! Thanks!
I was told they require one in state, one out of state, one rural, one urban, and one suburban clinical for those 5! But I’ve heard otherwise from students who are currently there so I have no idea what it actually is!

I was told they require one in state, one out of state, one rural, one urban, and one suburban clinical for those 5! But I’ve heard otherwise from students who are currently there so I have no idea what it actually is!
Oh ok, I talked to an advisor there and he told me the only requirements for clinicals were that you needed to complete an inpatient, outpatient, neuro, and ortho rotation. He also said there was not an out of state requirement because I specifically asked about it. I don’t particularly want to go out of state since I plan on working in the area that I live!

Oh ok, I talked to an advisor there and he told me the only requirements for clinicals were that you needed to complete an inpatient, outpatient, neuro, and ortho rotation. He also said there was not an out of state requirement because I specifically asked about it. I don’t particularly want to go out of state since I plan on working in the area that I live!
Yes that's what my thought process was too! I didn't want to go out of state either because I plan to work in the area as well! I am trying to figure out which one I feel like I would be a better fit at. It's a stressful decision.

Yes that's what my thought process was too! I didn't want to go out of state either because I plan to work in the area as well! I am trying to figure out which one I feel like I would be a better fit at. It's a stressful decision.
I completely agree! Which schools are you between if you don’t mind me asking???

Early Decision: Duke
Regular Decision: Duke, U of Iowa, U of Pitt, U of South Carolina, U of Miami, NAU, Central Arkansas, Drexel, Missouri State, Creighton

Accepted: South Carolina, Pitt, Creighton, Missouri State
Interview granted: Duke, Creighton, NAU, Central Arkansas, Drexel, U of Miami

Waitlisted: none

Attending: CREIGHTON!!!!!

Note: I chose not to go to a lot of the interviews because I got accepted to Creighton pretty early and I knew it was one of my top choices!

Early Decision: none
Regular Decision: University of Washington, Pacific University, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions

#1 choice: Pacific University

Accepted: none yet; all send out acceptances around the end of January
Interview granted: Pacific University (1/11) and RMUHP (1/17); UW doesn't interview
Waitlisted: TBD
Denied: TBD

Attending: I will know in a few weeks!

Last edited:
Hey! I interviewed at Usciences last week! Feel free to message me. I took a bunch of notes on the interview process for all the schools I've interviewed at to pass on to friends. Anyone seeing this feel free to message me! :giggle:

Interviews: Temple, Jefferson, Usciences

Hey, I have an interview at Usciences this Tuesday. Can you tell me what questions were asked & how was the interview process for you?

when did you hear back from UW and Duke? I applied to both and I haven’t heard anything yet.
Hello! I heard back from Duke early November. For University of Washington, I actually haven't heard back from them, but because I'm accepting my offer from Shenandoah, I just categorized under denied. Sorry for misleading you, I'll edit my original post. Good luck. Hope you hear back soon.

Early Decision: Duke
Regular Decision: Duke, U of Iowa, U of Pitt, U of South Carolina, U of Miami, NAU, Central Arkansas, Drexel, Missouri State, Creighton

Accepted: South Carolina, Pitt, Creighton, Missouri State
Interview granted: Duke, Creighton, NAU, Central Arkansas, Drexel, U of Miami

Waitlisted: none

Attending: CREIGHTON!!!!!

Note: I chose not to go to a lot of the interviews because I got accepted to Creighton pretty early and I knew it was one of my top choices!
What were your stats as you were applying?

Hello! I heard back from Duke early November. For University of Washington, I actually haven't heard back from them, but because I'm accepting my offer from Shenandoah, I just categorized under denied. Sorry for misleading you, I'll edit my original post. Good luck. Hope you hear back soon.
What were your stats?

Applied: Miami, UNC Chapel Hill, Samuel Merritt University, St. Augustine San Marcos, MGH IHP, University of Rhode Island (none early decision)

#1 Choice: MGH IHP
Rejections
: UNC
Waitlist: Samuel Merritt
Interviews: St. Augustine San Marcos (12/6), URI (01/07, declined)
Acceptances: St. Augustine San Marcos, MGH IHP

Attending: MGH IHP!!!

This is my second time applying despite a low GPA. You guys are ALL PT qualified! Show those schools how incredible you are!

UPDATE!!!!

Regular Decision: UNLV, Touro-Nevada, South College, Regis University, MidWestern University, Pacific University, Rocky Mountain University

#1 choice: UNLV

Accepted: TBD
Interview granted: MidWestern University(11/11), UNLV(1/24), Pacific University got a slot today for 1/11!, next round for Touro Nevada...supplemental application sent (1/3), South College online interview (1/4)
Waitlisted: TBD
Denied: Regis

Attending:?????
What was the interview for Pacific U like? I have my interview this weekend, I am curious what kinds of questions they asked, if it is one on one or group, if there is a writing portion, etc.?

Regular Decision: University of North Dakota, University of Minnesota, University of South Dakota, University of Jamestown (ND), University of Iowa, Des Moines University, Mayo Clinic

#1 choice: Mayo or University of Iowa

Accepted: U of MN (11/7), Mayo Clinic (11/8), University of Jamestown (11/21), University of Iowa (12/18)

Interview granted: Mayo (10/25), U of Iowa (11/8), U of Jamestown (11/16), Des Moines U (12/12-declined)

Waitlisted: N/A
Denied: N/A

Attending: Mayo or University of Iowa

Has anyone else been accepted to Mayo or Iowa and plan on attending? Also, looking for any advice about either school. Best of luck to everyone!!

Have you decided? I'm accepted and leaning towards Mayo, too. It's a hard program, but no one will doubt your skills coming out.

Just letting you know I decided to go with GSU. It seems like it will be best for me in the long run! Good luck with your decision! :)
Congrats!! I actually just made my decision too and I chose GSU also! I need to put my deposit down still but I did choose that also woo! Looks like we will be in the same cohort!!

Have you decided? I'm accepted and leaning towards Mayo, too. It's a hard program, but no one will doubt your skills coming out.
I am so torn! I actually just paid my deposit at Mayo, but my fiancé lives in Iowa so I’d have to move away from him if I go to Mayo. I think I’ll end up paying both deposits and deciding after I get my financial aid package for both programs. Mayo is such a dream! Have you decided? I saw you were accepted a few other places? Hopefully we end up classmates, and if not, we’ll both be stellar PT’s I’m sure of it!

updated!

Regular Decision: Columbia, Scranton, NYU, Drexel, MGH IHP

#1 choice: Columbia

Accepted: Columbia, Scranton, Drexel, MGH IHP
Interview granted: Columbia, NYU (I rejected the interview), Drexel
Waitlisted: n/a

Attending: Columbia!!!!

I am so torn! I actually just paid my deposit at Mayo, but my fiancé lives in Iowa so I’d have to move away from him if I go to Mayo. I think I’ll end up paying both deposits and deciding after I get my financial aid package for both programs. Mayo is such a dream! Have you decided? I saw you were accepted a few other places? Hopefully we end up classmates, and if not, we’ll both be stellar PT’s I’m sure of it!

I'm torn, too. I could be happy at any of the places I applied to, and I loved St. Louis and Atlanta. Birmingham is close to home, and has in-state tuition... but the one place I'm most terrified of going is Mayo because it's way colder than I've ever lived in and it's the hardest curriculum I've seen. :scared: They pack the most hours into the fewest semesters, and I'm worried I won't keep up like I should. But, because I'm terrified of going there, I think that's where I'll go unless someone offers me an insane package I can't turn down. It'd be good for me. :giggle: