DPT Application Cycle 2019-2020 - 2020 start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Early Decision: No
Regular Decision: NAU, CSUN, University of Miami, University of Washington, University of Vermont, Nova Southeastern U - Tampa, NSU Fort Lauderdale, George Washington U, West Coast U, Rocky Mountain U

#1 choice: GW

Accepted: University of Vermont
Interview granted: GWU and West Coast
Waitlisted: N/A
Denied: NAU, CSUN

Attending: TBD
When did you submitt your application to west coast?

Mid October

Members don't see this ad.

Regular Decision: University of Washington, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, Chapman University, University of St. Augustine-San Marcos, University of Puget Sound

#1 choice: UW and UNLV

Accepted: UNLV (01/28)
Interview granted: UNLV (01/25), USA-San Marcos (declined)
Waitlisted: TBD
Denied: TBD

Attending: I'm waiting to hear back from UW, otherwise UNLV.

I was wondering if anyone knows around which date UW will send out status emails. They updated us that they'd be sent out mid-Feb but I am so anxious and dying to know.

Reactions: 1 user
Regular Decision: University of Washington, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, Chapman University, University of St. Augustine-San Marcos, University of Puget Sound

I was wondering if anyone knows around which date UW will send out status emails. They updated us that they'd be sent out mid-Feb but I am so anxious and dying to know.

Have you heard back from Univ of Puget Sound?

Members don't see this ad :)

In the same boat. Even more anxious because PTCAS screwed up my academic update. Anyone else who's had issues with them verifying transcripts in a timely manner? I literally waited 5 weeks before reaching out to them after sending an email after 2 weeks (which was not responded to).

In the same boat. Even more anxious because PTCAS screwed up my academic update. Anyone else who's had issues with them verifying transcripts in a timely manner? I literally waited 5 weeks before reaching out to them after sending an email after 2 weeks (which was not responded to).
They screwed up mine as well. I arranged for one of my college transcripts to be sent to PTCAS once my fall 2019 grades were published. Several days after my transcript was sent to PTCAS, I got a notification saying that they have received it. I submitted my academic update and then two weeks later, I got a notification saying my submission was undelivered because they did not have a transcript reflecting my fall 2019 grades. I used the chat feature on their website and the person I chatted with told me they had my transcript reflecting my fall 2019 grades I just missed verifying something on the academic update. I thought it was weird because my notification only said they didn't have my fall 2019 grades but I figured they had access to my profile and could see exactly what was wrong. I followed their directions and resubmitted my academic update. This was late last week. Then, last night, I received another notification that my submission was undelivered AGAIN for the same reason. I went back to the chat feature and explained my issue and the person on the other end left me hanging for ten minutes and then left the chat!!

• Angry
They screwed up mine as well. I arranged for one of my college transcripts to be sent to PTCAS once my fall 2019 grades were published. Several days after my transcript was sent to PTCAS, I got a notification saying that they have received it. I submitted my academic update and then two weeks later, I got a notification saying my submission was undelivered because they did not have a transcript reflecting my fall 2019 grades. I used the chat feature on their website and the person I chatted with told me they had my transcript reflecting my fall 2019 grades I just missed verifying something on the academic update. I thought it was weird because my notification only said they didn't have my fall 2019 grades but I figured they had access to my profile and could see exactly what was wrong. I followed their directions and resubmitted my academic update. This was late last week. Then, last night, I received another notification that my submission was undelivered AGAIN for the same reason. I went back to the chat feature and explained my issue and the person on the other end left me hanging for ten minutes and then left the chat!!
Ugh. What a nightmare. I would 100% get them on the phone. Plan everything out and explain as clearly as you can. It really sounds like they outsource a lot of the customer service to an outside service, so I would just go down the list of what you have submitted and in what order they expected you to submit it in. After that, I would imagine they would be hard pressed to find any errors on your part. Good luck.

I am also waiting to hear from UW, hope it’s soon!!

Mid October

May I ask how soon Mary contacted you after you submitted your application? How soon did you receive the email informing that you've met all the requirements? And was the interview invitation included? Thanks

May I ask how soon Mary contacted you after you submitted your application? How soon did you receive the email informing that you've met all the requirements? And was the interview invitation included? Thanks
I can’t find the exact email that confirmed that all my requirements were met, but I remember they got back to me pretty fast. It was like in a matter of a couple days. The invitation for an interview got to me 3 months after turning in my app.

Early Decision: Yes - St. Augustine - Austin, TX
Regular Decision: None

#1 choice: USA - Austin

Accepted: USA - Austin!
Interview granted: USA - Austin
Waitlisted: None
Denied: None

Attending: You get my drift...

This was my third time applying and my GPA/GRE were low (2.98/140's)! But I did the one thing that many applicants tend to over look - apply to the right school for me! I've been looking at this forum for years and applicants are still worried about school ranks and looking for validation of whether they'll get accepted with a 3.999 GPA and 169 GRE scores. None of that matters. Figure out what your goals are and decide what schools are your best options. Period. My goal is to get in and get out of school so I can live my life already. Every school that is accredited should prepare you for boards. Do what you gotta do and you'll do well. No one will ever care what school you went to. So apply smart and you'll get in... Even with mediocre grades.
Great insight! I am scheduled to have an interview for Austin, TX USA on March 13th. Would you mind sharing some details on the interview process? What sort of questions did they ask and what do you recommend to prepare for this day? I have similar stats as you.

I can’t find the exact email that confirmed that all my requirements were met, but I remember they got back to me pretty fast. It was like in a matter of a couple days. The invitation for an interview got to me 3 months after turning in my app.

Thank you!

I got placed on the high alternate list (top 10) for Columbia. Anyone know of the chances of getting accepted of this list?

I got placed on the high alternate list (top 10) for Columbia. Anyone know of the chances of getting accepted of this list?
Did they tell you first tier? Do you know how many students are within each tier?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone accepting their CSU Long Beach spot while still waiting on another program?

Early decision: none

Regular Decision: UF, Miami, Emory, MUSC, Duke, George Washington, Drexel, Pitt, University of Colorado

Interviews: Miami, Emory, George Washington, Drexel, Colorado

Waitlist: Colorado

Denied: tbd

Acceptances: UF, Miami, Emory, MUSC, George Washington, Drexel, Pitt

Attending: Emory!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Do you mind telling me when you received your UF acceptance?

Early Decision: no

Regular Decision: Tennessee State, Georgia State, Emory, Georgia Southern/ Armstrong, & St. Augustine (St. Augustine campus)

#1 choice: Georgia State

Interview granted: Emory, Georgia State, Georgia Southern/ Armstrong, & St. Augustine --
Got accepted at Emory before the rest, besides Georgia State, & I wanted to stay close to home so I didn't attend the other interviews.

Accepted: Emory & Georgia State

Waitlisted: Georgia State originally, then got accepted a week later

Denied: Tennessee State (seats filled w/ early decision applicants)

Attending: Georgia State University!

Is anyone else Georgia State DPT '23? If so, respond to this! Thanks.
When did you get interview offer for St Aug? Did you contact them at all prior? Congrats!

Regular Decision: Anderson, South, Lynchburg, High Point, Wingate, USC (south carolina), MUSC, ETSU, Emory, Emory & Henry, VCU, Shenandoah, UMD- Baltimore, PCOM-GA, USA- St. Augustine

#1 choice: trying not to pick one so I don't get discouraged if I'm denied admission (this is my 2nd cycle applying)

Accepted: tbd
Interview granted: Emory + Henry (1/11)
Waitlisted: Emory + Henry (bottom third, 1/31)
Denied: Anderson, UMD-Baltimore, Wingate, Emory, Shenandoah, MUSC, USC-Columbia, Lynchburg, VCU

Attending: tbd
Update. Getting more than discouraged at this point.

Early Decision: None
Regular Decision: Pacific University, USC, Chapman (Fall), Sac State, University of Montana, Puget Sound, NAU, Fresno State, Northridge, Duke, Western Carolina

#1 choice: not sure yet...

Accepted: USC (declined), NAU, Northridge, University of Puget Sound, Sac State
Interviews granted: Duke (11/4), Western Carolina (11/13 - declined), Pacific University (1/11-declined), Sac State (1/25), Fresno State (2/1), Montana (2/1 - declined)
Waitlisted: Duke
Denied: none

Attending: still deciding...
Any insight into any of the schools is greatly appreciated!
Update. I am still having a hard time deciding which school I want to go too, but it is probably going to be between NAU, University of Puget Sound, and Sac State (I actually just got accepted!).

Last edited:
Update. I am still having a hard time deciding which school I want to go too, but it is probably going to be between NAU, University of Puget Sound, and Sac State (if I get accepted).
Would you mind sharing your stats?:)

Update. I am still having a hard time deciding which school I want to go too, but it is probably going to be between NAU, University of Puget Sound, and Sac State (if I get accepted).
Another update, I just got an email that I got accepted into Sac State!

When did you get interview offer for St Aug? Did you contact them at all prior? Congrats!
Thank you!! I got an interview awhile ago, on October 24th. I did, I thanked them for their time & consideration of my application & told them I would not be attending the interview.

Would you mind sharing your stats?:)
Yeah of course

College: UC Davis
Major: Biological Sciences
cGPA: 4.0
pGPA: 4.0
GRE: V - 164, Q - 162, AW - 5.0
Observation Hours: 222 hours in different outpatient and inpatient settings
EC: Different community service activities over the years including working at my schools pantry, was a research associate at the UC Davis Hospital's Emergency Department, did research in an atmospheric chemistry lab my first two years and got to be a co-author on the resulting publication (this was before I knew I wanted to do PT), was a learning assistant for microbiology for a quarter, and I did research this past summer in a Human Performance Lab.

Reactions: 1 users
Update. I am still having a hard time deciding which school I want to go too, but it is probably going to be between NAU, University of Puget Sound, and Sac State (I actually just got accepted!).
How long did NAU give you to accept your position?

How long did NAU give you to accept your position?
They gave use till January 24th to put down the deposit which I did to save my spot since I was still waiting to hear from a couple other schools.

Update, pretty bummed I'm on the 3rd tier for Pacific U and #21-30 for UNLV. I felt pretty good about my UNLV interview. I'm trying to stay positive because they said they typically accept 25-30 off their waitlist.
Regarding UNLV, i’m on the same boat! I felt good about my interview, but I ended up on the same tier waitlist as you did. Fingers crossed we both make it!

Regarding UNLV, i’m on the same boat! I felt good about my interview, but I ended up on the same tier waitlist as you did. Fingers crossed we both make it!
It’s so stressful. I’m hoping that people choose to not be on their waitlist/ people pick other schools! I’m currently on 3 waitlists so it sucks :(

Regular Decision: CSUN, UCSF, West Coast, USA - San Marcos (Fall residential), NAU, UPS, GFU

#1 choice: I have my top 3 in mind!

Accepted: USA - San Marcos [10/29]
Interview granted: USA - San Marcos [10/22], UCSF [1/11]
Waitlisted: UPS [1/30]
Denied: NAU (interview alternate), GFU, UCSF, CSUN

Good luck to everyone!!

Update now that things are settling. I'm aware that West Coast is having another round of interviews in two weeks but I still haven't received an invitation. A little bummed on that but still holding onto some hope.

I put a deposit down for USA in San Marcos (grateful for an acceptance!), but would really love to get off the waitlist for Puget Sound. Anyone know about how many people they have on their waitlist?

*Update
Regular Decision: Georgia State, Mercer, Miami, Columbia, WashU St. Louis, University of Colorado-Denver, Regis

#1 choice: undecided

Accepted: Columbia, WashU St. Louis, Georgia State, Mercer, Colorado
Interview granted: Columbia, Miami (11/8), Mercer(11/16), Georgia State (11/22), Colorado, Regis (declined)
Denied: N/A

Attending: Colorado

Good luck to everyone applying!

Regular Decision: CSUN, CSULB, Chapman Univ(both summer & fall), West Coast Univ, WesternU, MidwesternU - Glendale

Accepted: MidwesternU - Glendale (2/6)
Interview granted: MidwesternU-Glendale(1/24), WesternU (2/4)
Waitlisted: MidwesternU - Glendale (1/30)
Denied: CSUN, CSULB,

Attending: MidwesternU-Glendale, although still waiting for CA schools.

———————————
STATS
GPAc : 3.23
GPAp : 2.93
GRE: 152v/156q/4.0

Hours: 4+ years in Sports medicine (ATC “aide”)
3.5 years in out-patient PT (aide)
100ish hours in in-patient PT (SNF)

Tips: Interviews are your best selling point! Especially if you don’t have the best grades (ahem me!!!!) I also recommend looking for schools that fit your profile. After a couple rounds of applications it got exhausting trying to compare with the 4.0++ student with 160 GRE scores. Some schools are looking for character rather than grades, Midwestern and Western are those types. Chapman is the opposite, they don’t require essay nor do interviews, all they look at is grades (but for me, worth a shot since campus is a short bike ride from my house! )

Good luck to all who are still waiting!
And for those who didn’t get in this year, DON’T GIVE UP, dig deep and find your passion. I think it really took me getting rejected a couple times to really figure out why I wanted to be a PT! I hope it does the same for you.

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE

Early Decision
: No

Regular Decision: CSU Fresno, CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, Western University of Health Sciences, West Coast University, Chapman University (both cohorts), Loma Linda University, University of St. Augustine (Summer 2020), UNLV, and South College (Summer 2020)

#1 Choice: CSU Fresno, Western University of Health Sciences, or Chapman University

Accepted: University of St. Augustine (Summer 2020), South College (June 2020), CSU Fresno (Fall 2020)

Interview granted: South College (interviewed on 10/30/19), University of St. Augustine (interviewed on 11/5/19), UNLV (declined interview invitation for 1/25/20), Western University of Health Sciences (interviewed on 1/30/20), West Coast University (interviewed on 1/31/20), Fresno State (interviewed on 2/1/20)

Waitlisted: CSU Long Beach (low-tier)

Denied: CSU Northridge, Loma Linda University

Regular Decision: University of North Dakota, University of Minnesota, University of South Dakota, University of Jamestown (ND), University of Iowa, Des Moines University, Mayo Clinic

#1 choice: Mayo or University of Iowa

Accepted: U of MN (11/7), Mayo Clinic (11/8), University of Jamestown (11/21), University of Iowa (12/18)

Interview granted: Mayo (10/25), U of Iowa (11/8), U of Jamestown (11/16), Des Moines U (12/12-declined)

Attending: Mayo or University of Iowa

Has anyone else been accepted to Mayo or Iowa and plan on attending? Also, looking for any advice about either school. Best of luck to everyone!!

First of all, congrats on all the acceptances and best of luck on your final decision! I don't know a whole lot about University of Iowa, but I know Mayo is a very impressive program. I am sure both schools have their pros and cons that you are debating however, and so I'd say go with your gut on which one will suit you better! Many factors go into such a big decision.

I have a similar situation:

Regular Decision: University of North Dakota, University of Minnesota, University of South Dakota, Mayo Clinic, College of St. Scholastica, University of Jamestown, and University of Mary - Bismarck

#1 Choice: University of North Dakota or Mayo

Interviews Granted: I was granted an interview at all of them, but turned down the interview at USD. My interview at UND isn't until the end of this month (Feb 29th).
Accepted: University of Minnesota, University of Jamestown, University of Mary, St. Scholastica, and Mayo

Attending: either UND or Mayo

I am down to my final two programs to decide between...UND or Mayo. If accepted at UND in a few weeks, then I will have a tough decision to make. UND is significantly cheaper (like $40,000 cheaper than Mayo) and is very close to home, but Mayo is a very impressive and well known program that has top-of-the line resources as well as an appealing 56 weeks of clinicals (20 weeks more than UND). Just curious what advice others may have on my decision?? Does the price difference make it a no-brainer to most people? Or should I go with Mayo for its reputation and clinicals?

Thanks and I wish everyone the best of luck in their own process!

Update-
Regular Decision: CU Denver, Regis, UTSW, UNTHSC, Texas State, UT San Antonio, UAMS, UCA, UMKC, Rockhurst, UIC

#1 choice: N/A

Accepted: UIC, UAMS, UTSW, UT San Antonio, CU Denver
Interview granted: Rockhurst (declined), Texas State (11/22), UAMS (12/5), UCA (declined), UT San Antonio (12/7), UTSW (1/6), CU Denver (1/10), Regis (declined)
Waitlisted: KUMC
Denied: Texas State, UNTHSC

Attending: CU Denver

Last edited:
I am so torn! I actually just paid my deposit at Mayo, but my fiancé lives in Iowa so I’d have to move away from him if I go to Mayo. I think I’ll end up paying both deposits and deciding after I get my financial aid package for both programs. Mayo is such a dream! Have you decided? I saw you were accepted a few other places? Hopefully we end up classmates, and if not, we’ll both be stellar PT’s I’m sure of it!

Do you by chance have any idea when Mayo provides info on financial aid packages? I am accepted and considering Mayo, but am hesitant because of it being so much more expensive than my other top choice. I am looking for any info on how I might be able to better afford Mayo. I saw online that they offer need-based scholarships, but I am not sure whether or not they offer any merit-based scholarships.

Congrats!! It's cool seeing a couple people on this forum who have also been accepted to and are considering Mayo!

Undergrad: Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.3
pre-req GPA: 3.4-3.8
GRE: 156V, 160Q, 4.0 AW

Hours: 75 Outpatient and 40 Inpatient

Extracurricular: Honors Program, Undergraduate Research, Tri Beta Honors Society, FFA Alumni, Church Volunteer, Operation Christmas Child volunteer, Tox Lab employee and team lead

LOR: 2 from PTs I shadowed, 1 from undergraduate research advisor and professor, 1 from Anatomy and Physiology professor

Applied: UCF, FIU, AdventHealth, FAMU, FGCU, Campbell, Nova Tampa
Accepted: To Be Determined
Interview Granted: FGCU (11/22), FIU (12/2 Early Interview), UCF (12/12), Nova Tampa (1/17), AdventHealth (2/7), Campbell (2/21)
Waitlisted: FGCU (1/29), Nova Tampa (2/12)
Denied: To Be Determined

Attending: To Be Determined

I have been feeling discouraged because I feel my stats are not good enough. Anyone want to chime?

Undergrad: Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.3
pre-req GPA: 3.4-3.8
GRE: 156V, 160Q, 4.0 AW

Hours: 75 Outpatient and 40 Inpatient

Extracurricular: Honors Program, Undergraduate Research, Tri Beta Honors Society, FFA Alumni, Church Volunteer, Operation Christmas Child volunteer, Tox Lab employee and team lead

LOR: 2 from PTs I shadowed, 1 from undergraduate research advisor and professor, 1 from Anatomy and Physiology professor

Applied: UCF, FIU, AdventHealth, FAMU, FGCU, Campbell, Nova Tampa
Accepted: To Be Determined
Interview Granted: FGCU (11/22), FIU (12/2 Early Interview), UCF (12/12), Nova Tampa (1/17), AdventHealth (2/7), Campbell (2/21)
Waitlisted: FGCU (1/29), Nova Tampa (2/12)
Denied: To Be Determined

Attending: To Be Determined

I have been feeling discouraged because I feel my stats are not good enough. Anyone want to chime?

I am not familiar with any of the schools you have applied to but your GRE scores looks very strong! And pre-req GPA is also a pretty strong range. Based on my personal experiences with waitlists, I would say you have a pretty good chance of being accepted if you were waitlisted and since you have not heard back from many of the schools, don't lose hope! I don't see anything that is lacking in your application but again, Im not familiar with those schools. Are you a Florida resident? Do you know when some of those schools might be getting back since you interviewed in December?

Do you by chance have any idea when Mayo provides info on financial aid packages? I am accepted and considering Mayo, but am hesitant because of it being so much more expensive than my other top choice. I am looking for any info on how I might be able to better afford Mayo. I saw online that they offer need-based scholarships, but I am not sure whether or not they offer any merit-based scholarships.

Congrats!! It's cool seeing a couple people on this forum who have also been accepted to and are considering Mayo!
From the info I got they won’t send financial aid information out until sometime in May. I know if you want to be considered for scholarships you have to supply parental info on your FAFSA, but they didn’t give very many specifics on how much they’ll actually give you. I think I read roughly $5k the first year and around $10k the second and $10k the third. Best of luck deciding, I also got an interview at USD and UND but declined both and I think I’ve decided that I’ll be attending the University of Iowa!

I am not familiar with any of the schools you have applied to but your GRE scores looks very strong! And pre-req GPA is also a pretty strong range. Based on my personal experiences with waitlists, I would say you have a pretty good chance of being accepted if you were waitlisted and since you have not heard back from many of the schools, don't lose hope! I don't see anything that is lacking in your application but again, Im not familiar with those schools. Are you a Florida resident? Do you know when some of those schools might be getting back since you interviewed in December?
I am indeed a Florida resident. Campbell is the only university I applied to out-of-state. UCF and FIU should be letting me know here ideally by the end of the month. I think I have improved more and more with each interview.

From the info I got they won’t send financial aid information out until sometime in May. I know if you want to be considered for scholarships you have to supply parental info on your FAFSA, but they didn’t give very many specifics on how much they’ll actually give you. I think I read roughly $5k the first year and around $10k the second and $10k the third. Best of luck deciding, I also got an interview at USD and UND but declined both and I think I’ve decided that I’ll be attending the University of Iowa!

Thanks so much for the info and congrats on making your decision! I'm sure you'll love University of Iowa and will make a great PT!

Regular Decision: University of Iowa, Des Moines University, University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Creighton, Belmont, and Sacred Heart

#1 choice: I really don’t know

Accepted: DMU 1/22
Interview granted: University of Iowa 11/15, Des Moines University 1/10, and Creighton (declined)
Waitlisted: University of Minnesota and Iowa, deferred at Belmont and DMU
Denied: Sacred Heart, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee emailed me and told me they filled their entire class with ED so they weren’t reviewing my application

Attending: Des Moines University!!
I paid my deposit and am officially going to Des Moines University in the fall!

UPDATE
Early Decision:
None
Regular Decision: FIU, UM, NOVA

#1 choice: Not sure

Accepted: FIU (11/14), NOVA (2/21)
Interview granted: FIU (11/13) UM (declined)

Attending: NOVA

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just thought I would add my information here since I heard back from a few schools this week! :)

Regular Decision: Univ. of Southern California, Chapman (fall), WesternU, Univ. of Washington, Puget Sound, Texas Tech

#1 Choice: USC or Chapman

Accepted: USC (12/3), Puget Sound (2/20), Chapman (2/21)
Interviews Granted: Texas Tech (11/8), WesternU (1/16)
Waitlisted: Texas Tech, UW
Denied: none yet

Attending: USC as of right now (but I just got into Chapman so now trying to decide)

Hi everyone! Just thought I would add my information here since I heard back from a few schools this week! :)

Regular Decision: Univ. of Southern California, Chapman (fall), WesternU, Univ. of Washington, Puget Sound, Texas Tech

#1 Choice: USC or Chapman

Accepted: USC (12/3), Puget Sound (2/20), Chapman (2/21)
Interviews Granted: Texas Tech (11/8), WesternU (1/16)
Waitlisted: Texas Tech, UW
Denied: none yet

Attending: USC as of right now (but I just got into Chapman so now trying to decide)
How much was the USC deposit?