DPT Program Without Animal Dissections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AugustReign

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-PT student, a vegan and an animal activist. I have no problems with blood and guts, but I cannot cut into the body of an animal. As a PT I am going to be working on humans, not animals, and I cannot justify mutilating animals' bodies for my education.

Are there any DPT programs that work only with human cadavers?
Any suggestions on how to find this out for the schools I'm interested in?

I'm really worried that there aren't any out there, and I need to switch my post-graduate plans.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, you only work specifically on human cadavers when in DPT school....I haven't heard of any other program that would differ? Have you talked with a DPT program that works on animal cadavers? I find that odd if they did?

As far as I know, you only work specifically on human cadavers when in DPT school....I haven't heard of any other program that would differ? Have you talked with a DPT program that works on animal cadavers? I find that odd if they did?

The school I'm attending now has a DPT program, but as far as I know they do not have cadavers due to lack of space and requirements. I have heard that cat and pig dissections are performed. Maybe this is not the norm, in which case I'm relieved.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my program we used a human cadaver but for neuro we did use a sciatic nerve of a frog. Since you have a question that is unlikely to be on a FAQ type of deal I'd express your concerns with the universities you are interested in.

My program, Touro, only uses human cadavers. I was told in undergrad that the cats we dissected came from kill shelters and we're going to be put down anyway. That helped me get through it.