DPT Programs in Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future_DPT31

Reaction score
Hi! I wanted to create this thread for anyone that has applied to PT schools in Michigan for the 2018-2019 cycle. We can keep each other updated on any news.

Schools I applied to:
Wayne State University
Oakland University
UM Flint
Grand Valley
Central Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow Michigander here :) The only school in MI I applied to was Wayne. I got their confirmation email with the interview info and I'm hoping to hear back for the January interview since my GPA doesn't fall in the "outstanding" category for the November interview. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to CMU on early decision. I was in contact with them quite a bit (to the point I was afraid of being a bother), but I suppose it worked out. They were by far the most helpful and reassuring school I talked to, which is why I applied ED. Good luck on your applications!

Hi! I actually went to Western Michigan for undergrad, so it's nice to see my fellow Michiganders :) The only school in MI I applied to is Grand Valley and I haven't heard back from them yet... I contacted someone at GVSU and they did say that the program does not conduct interviews and that they would contact applicants in early December to inform them of their decision!

I was accepted to CMU on early decision. I was in contact with them quite a bit (to the point I was afraid of being a bother), but I suppose it worked out. They were by far the most helpful and reassuring school I talked to, which is why I applied ED. Good luck on your applications!
When you were in contact with CMU, who did you talk to? I've talked with the lady who works for graduate admissions but not someone directly in the program.

I talked with the head of graduate admissions, I believe you talked with his assistant. Very nice guy. I met with him in person twice and he gave me a personal tour of the building, and a clear outline of what I needed to do to be accepted. I also called a few times over the summer because ED was a bit intimidating with deadlines and I wanted to make sure everything would appear correctly on my application.

Has anyone heard from Wayne?
I haven't. Their email said they send out decisions for their November interview in late October so hopefully in the coming days we will get some news!

Also, might as well throw my stats on here and anyone else should too. Obviously hoping to stay in-state!

University: University of Michigan (attended Saginaw Valley for my first two years, UM for last few)
Major: Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Pre-Requisite GPA: Between 3.5 & 3.6 (depends on school)
GRE: 158V, 160Q, 5.5 AW

Volunteer/Observation/Extracurriculars: 155 outpatient clinics, 20 inpatient, 12 special needs/disability setting. 350+ hours volunteering between muscular dystrophy camps, charity events, youth football camps, etc. 2 years on PT club E-board. Varsity football player at SVSU for two years on scholarship, Academic Excellence Team, Academic Scholar Award, etc.

LOR's: 1 PT (outpatient), 1 prof, 1 academic advisor, 1 volunteer supervisor

Applying to: GVSU, Central Michigan, Oakland, Wayne State, UM-Flint, Duke University
Interviews:
Acceptances:

Hoping for good news soon--good luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't. Their email said they send out decisions for their November interview in late October so hopefully in the coming days we will get some news!

My friend heard back from Wayne for an interview in November

I got a confirmation email of sorts from all of the MI programs stating that my application was fully received and is under review, etc. But I didn't get one from GVSU--did anyone get info from them, or something stating that all materials were received? The only thing I have from GV is an email confirming that my supplemental was submitted.

I got a confirmation email of sorts from all of the MI programs stating that my application was fully received and is under review, etc. But I didn't get one from GVSU--did anyone get info from them, or something stating that all materials were received? The only thing I have from GV is an email confirming that my supplemental was submitted.

I didn't receive anything either. They don't send confirmation emails so we'll just have to wait until mid december to find out the admissions decision

Me too! Do you know when we will be hearing back about interviews and what not?

I have no clue. I hope it's soon though! I know the deadline was November 15th so I'm guessing 6-8 weeks after that. I'm hoping not a lot of people applied so our chances are better lol

I have no clue. I hope it's soon though! I know the deadline was November 15th so I'm guessing 6-8 weeks after that. I'm hoping not a lot of people applied so our chances are better lol
Oh for sure. Me too, LOL. When I asked on 11/1, they said they had received 82 applications so far... I'm assuming that not many more people applied in the past two weeks, to be honest. I feel like not many people even knew that WMU now has a DPT program starting next year.

I feel confident that I will at least get an interview there. I graduated from Western and was a student-athlete there, so I think that helps :)

Oh for sure. Me too, LOL. When I asked on 11/1, they said they had received 82 applications so far... I'm assuming that not many more people applied in the past two weeks, to be honest. I feel like not many people even knew that WMU now has a DPT program starting next year.

I feel confident that I will at least get an interview there. I graduated from Western and was a student-athlete there, so I think that helps :)

Yeah, especially because it wasn't listed on PTCAS. I also feel like a lot of people don't want to take the "risk" of going to a non accredited school. I'm all for a risk if it means I'll get in somewhere! Hopefully we'll both get an interview :)

Has anyone heard back from U of M flint yet or GVSU?

I got accepted into Central Michigan's DPT Program! Received the email today

I got the email today! I got in!

I got the email today! I got in!
Congratulations! To both of you! They do have interviews, unless something has changed this year, but I've heard they accept some without an interview as well.

I did too! I’m confused cause I thought they had interviews??

We'll be classmates then! Congrats! I also thought they did interviews. Did your email say you were admitted for early admission?

We'll be classmates then! Congrats! I also thought they did interviews. Did your email say you were admitted for early admission?
I got in as well! I'll see you guys at the open house in January hopefully! :) and yes my email said early admission.

Congrats guys! Yes mine said early admission as well.

Anyone heard from Wayne for January interviews or from Grand Valley? Even if it was rejection?

Anyone heard from Wayne for January interviews or from Grand Valley? Even if it was rejection?
Nothing yet :( The email said we should hear back in mid-December for the January interview so it should be any day now!

I’m also on the waiting list. The said I was “one of several” so my assumption is there are maybe no more than 10 students on the list?

I’m waitlisted also, still haven’t heard anything from U of M flint :/

I’m also on the waiting list. The said I was “one of several” so my assumption is there are maybe no more than 10 students on the list?

I hope so. They take 62 students so I'm sure at least 10 will get accepted somewhere else and choose the other place. The waiting sucks

Yes! and thank you! I also got into GV on Friday...I am hoping for the best for you guys and that the spots open up soon!
Congrats on getting accepted to GVSU! Did they say when you have to put down a deposit to save a seat for the program? I am also on the waiting list and GVSU is my top school so I was hoping to get an idea when I would be hearing back about open seats.

Have you guys decided where your going yet?

Congrats on getting accepted to GVSU! Did they say when you have to put down a deposit to save a seat for the program? I am also on the waiting list and GVSU is my top school so I was hoping to get an idea when I would be hearing back about open seats.
Thanks! GV's deadline is January 31st, but UM-Flint and CMU have a deadline of Jan 15th so I will have to make a decision by then. I imagine mid to late January is when other spots may open up

Hi! I actually went to Western Michigan for undergrad, so it's nice to see my fellow Michiganders :) The only school in MI I applied to is Grand Valley and I haven't heard back from them yet... I contacted someone at GVSU and they did say that the program does not conduct interviews and that they would contact applicants in early December to inform them of their decision!

Did you get an email for western? They sent them out the 21st