DPT to D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so the subject pretty much explains it all. I am a first year Physical Therapy student, and I’ve realized that I enjoy Physiatry more than Physical Therapy. I’ll explain. I observed with multiple PT’s over a course of two to three years, and I thought it was something I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life. This past summer I met a D.O. who explained what she done on a daily basis (She specialized in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation), and I fell in love. The next few weeks I observed what she done, and I realized that it was something I could see myself doing for the next 40+ years. Anyways, I was going to apply to Med school, but my parents purchased a house for me. So I felt terrible for telling them that I changed my mind. So here is my question. If I want to change professions, how would I go about doing it? Should I finish out my first year and apply to Med school (I haven’t taken Organic Chemistry or the MCAT). Also, since I haven’t taken O-Chem, is it possible to take PT classes during the summer while taking O-Chem? Our Summer classes are mainly ethical courses, and a short clinical rotation. On the bright side, there is a D.O. program less than 45 minutes from my current program.

Members don't see this ad.

If that's what you truly want to do, then completing the full year of PT school is a waste of time and money. Keep in mind that you better get A's in O-Chem and do really well on the MCAT, assuming you are competitive where you stand. If you do go that route, keep in mind that you may have an overview on rehab as a PM&R, but it's different than the actual practice of PT.

If that's what you truly want to do, then completing the full year of PT school is a waste of time and money. Keep in mind that you better get A's in O-Chem and do really well on the MCAT, assuming you are competitive where you stand. If you do go that route, keep in mind that you may have an overview on rehab as a PM&R, but it's different than the actual practice of PT.
Thank you for the response! I guess I will figure out what is best in the upcoming months. Hopefully I can just start O-Chem in the Spring. I am signed up for an open house next week, but I have a question you may be able to answer. Will courses like Gross Anatomy transfer from my PT program? I was hoping it would at least count for something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response! I guess I will figure out what is best in the upcoming months. Hopefully I can just start O-Chem in the Spring. I am signed up for an open house next week, but I have a question you may be able to answer. Will courses like Gross Anatomy transfer from my PT program? I was hoping it would at least count for something.

Sorry, but no.

I think you need to really really think about this first because, assuming that you stay in PT school while you take O'chem, study for your MCAT, take your MCAT, apply, wait to get accepted, get accepted... the whole process could take 2 years ... which would mean you would be 2/3 done with your PT degree, past the halfway point and rather close to the end.
If you choose to stop PT school while you get ready to apply to Med School, it's a little bit of a "gamble" because you might not get into Med School on your first try (I'm just talking to be on the safe side, you might be a stellar student with stellar stats and get in just like that *snaps fingers*).

My point is, you spent 2 years learning about PT when you were a Pre-PT meaning you have a clear overview of the profession, both good and bad. You found physiatry this summer and it seems like your only experience in the field is that one person who was amazing... but there's more to it. The same way you do observation hours in PT to be sure it is what you want to do, I think you should meet/shadow other DOs to get the full picture. This is a big decision. 8 more years of school... you can't base it off one encounter.

I feel like it's kind of when you have your first long term relationship. Here your partner would be PT. The honeymoon phase is over and PT is still good, but then you meet DO and DO looks great, and you already want to leave PT for DO. But DO has its flaws just like PT and I think you should get to know DO more before making a decision.

This sounds like a silly metaphor but I really think it's valid. Med school is long, becoming a PM&R physician is going to take you 8 years... think about it, and only go that route if you know that you know that you know that this is what you were meant to do.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you need to really really think about this first because, assuming that you stay in PT school while you take O'chem, study for your MCAT, take your MCAT, apply, wait to get accepted, get accepted... the whole process could take 2 years ... which would mean you would be 2/3 done with your PT degree, past the halfway point and rather close to the end.
If you choose to stop PT school while you get ready to apply to Med School, it's a little bit of a "gamble" because you might not get into Med School on your first try (I'm just talking to be on the safe side, you might be a stellar student with stellar stats and get in just like that *snaps fingers*).

My point is, you spent 2 years learning about PT when you were a Pre-PT meaning you have a clear overview of the profession, both good and bad. You found physiatry this summer and it seems like your only experience in the field is that one person who was amazing... but there's more to it. The same way you do observation hours in PT to be sure it is what you want to do, I think you should meet/shadow other DOs to get the full picture. This is a big decision. 8 more years of school... you can't base it off one encounter.

I feel like it's kind of when you have your first long term relationship. Here your partner would be PT. The honeymoon phase is over and PT is still good, but then you meet DO and DO looks great, and you already want to leave PT for DO. But DO has its flaws just like PT and I think you should get to know DO more before making a decision.

This sounds like a silly metaphor but I really think it's valid. Med school is long, becoming a PM&R physician is going to take you 8 years... think about it, and only go that route if you know that you know that you know that this is what you were meant to do.
Beautifully said! I know it's a huge gamble and it is crazy to decide this far in. But I believe it is a gamble I am willing to take. The clinic I worked at sent PT's to our local hospital. So I always had a chance to volunteer with Doctors. Anyways, after my Junior year I realized it was a path I wanted to take, but I didn't think I was "smart enough." I'm about 9 weeks into Gross Anatomy and other courses. And I'm just now realizing that Med school is possible. So I've been around Doctor's for around 2-3 years. But my hometown doesn't have a Physiatrist nearby (I believe the closest one is 2-3 hours away). So I never knew they existed, until I moved to my current program. Plus, I love the mission field and helping with underrepresented groups. So DO school would help me accomplish some of my goals within the mission field.

i have met a PMR doctor that was a PT for 10 years. He said he really wouldn't change anything as he preferred being a PMR doctor but was grateful for the 10 years as a PT.

i have met a PMR doctor that was a PT for 10 years. He said he really wouldn't change anything as he preferred being a PMR doctor but was grateful for the 10 years as a PT.
If you don't mind me asking, do you know why he switched after 10 years?