DPT to MD any advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMS54

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am currently a practicing physical therapist. I have been practicing since 2013 since completion of my DPT. I think I realized I should have gone to medical school soon after starting my career but didn’t have the guts to admit it.

After much reflection and discussion with my wife I have decided to reach for my dreams and begin the journey to becoming a physician. I plan on applying during the 2018-2019 app cycle to give me plenty of time to study for and complete the MCAT, shadow physicians, and obtain letters of recommendation.

I was hoping to hear from people who would have experiences similar to me and who would be able to give me advice. The thought of starting school again at age 30 for anywhere from 7-12 years scares me as does the thought of adding loans to my already large debt from PT school. The thought of thinking “what if” scares me more though, and I want to be a physician more than anything.

Any thoughts, advice, or encouragement would be appreciated

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everybody,

I am currently a practicing physical therapist. I have been practicing since 2013 since completion of my DPT. I think I realized I should have gone to medical school soon after starting my career but didn’t have the guts to admit it.

After much reflection and discussion with my wife I have decided to reach for my dreams and begin the journey to becoming a physician. I plan on applying during the 2018-2019 app cycle to give me plenty of time to study for and complete the MCAT, shadow physicians, and obtain letters of recommendation.

I was hoping to hear from people who would have experiences similar to me and who would be able to give me advice. The thought of starting school again at age 30 for anywhere from 7-12 years scares me as does the thought of adding loans to my already large debt from PT school. The thought of thinking “what if” scares me more though, and I want to be a physician more than anything.

As a nontraditional applicant entering medicine from another career, you might also enjoy SDN's Nontraditional-Students Forum at Nontraditional Students where you are more likely to find threads and posts by those with a similar background.

plan on applying during the 2018-2019 app cycle to give me plenty of time to study for and complete the MCAT, shadow physicians, and obtain letters of recommendation.

So, you plan on filling out the app in May (7 months from now) and submit your app in June?

When will you be taking the MCAT? If I were you, I'd shoot for March or April.

Do you have all the premed prereqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a nontraditional applicant entering medicine from another career, you might also enjoy SDN's Nontraditional-Students Forum at Nontraditional Students where you are more likely to find threads and posts by those with a similar background.

Thank you! I will definitely check it out!

So, you plan on filling out the app in May (7 months from now) and submit your app in June?

When will you be taking the MCAT? If I were you, I'd shoot for March or April.

Do you have all the premed prereqs?

Yes,
I am planning on taking the March test. I have been studying since the Aug 1st. I plan to shadow MD colleagues of mine after the MCAT. I have all of the prereqs besides organic chem 2 and biochem. I am counting on schools that use competency based admissions. The following schools have assured me that I would not be penalized for not having these courses due to competency based admissions (USC, UCLA, UCSD, Wake Forrest, Cooper, Hofstra, Rush, George Washington, and MUSC) as long as my MCAT checks out.

Am I limiting myself too much by selecting only schools with competency based admissions?
Are there any other schools that you are aware of that use competency based admissions?

Thank you for taking the time to write to me :)

Yes,
I am planning on taking the March test. I have been studying since the Aug 1st. I plan to shadow MD colleagues of mine after the MCAT. I have all of the prereqs besides organic chem 2 and biochem. I am counting on schools that use competency based admissions. The following schools have assured me that I would not be penalized for not having these courses due to competency based admissions (USC, UCLA, UCSD, Wake Forrest, Cooper, Hofstra, Rush, George Washington, and MUSC) as long as my MCAT checks out.

Am I limiting myself too much by selecting only schools with competency based admissions?
Are there any other schools that you are aware of that use competency based admissions?

You are limiting yourself, and IMO orgo 2 and biochem 1 were absolutely critical for me to prep for the MCAT. I would take these courses if possible.

In general I think your timeline is too optimistic. You're basically on planning applying to med school in June after shadowing a few physicians since March? Adcoms are gonna want to know why you're switiching careers, and it's best to show that you know what you're getting into. Shadowing for a couple of months isn't a great way to substantiate this.

I get that you're getting older and want to start med school asap, but the number one mistake I hear people make on here is wanting to get their app in ASAP. I think a far better plan would be to take orgo 2 and biochem 1 at a local CC next spring semester, take the MCAT next summer, and continue to shadow and apply the following year. I don't mean to come off as demeaning, I hope you'll just take this perspective into consideration when deciding what to do.

I have all of the prereqs besides organic chem 2 and biochem. I am counting on schools that use competency based admissions. The following schools have assured me that I would not be penalized for not having these courses due to competency based admissions (USC, UCLA, UCSD, Wake Forrest, Cooper, Hofstra, Rush, George Washington, and MUSC) as long as my MCAT checks out.

Not wise. Sign up for Ochem II and biochem for spring at a local college.

Are you a Calif resident? Are you a SC resident?

What is your science and cum gpa?

That list is too short.

You need to take those prereqs and not just count on top schools' competency-based admissions, which is basically fulfilled by taking pre-reqs. Otherwise, how are you claiming competency in those subjects? Not only that, but MCAT is very Biochem heavy. If you really want to become a physician, your best bets are at your state MD schools AND DO schools.

Not wise. Sign up for Ochem II and biochem for spring at a local college.

Are you a Calif resident? Are you a SC resident?

What is your science and cum gpa?

That list is too short.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me,

I am a NJ resident, my science GPA is 3.62. My cum is 3.72 and my DPT school GPA is 3.69. I calculated my science GPA using A as 4.0, A- as 3.7, B+ as 3.3, B as 3.0, B- as 2.7. Am I correct in calculating with these values? Also, I did a 3+3 program to get my DPT. During my senior year as an undergraduate, my first year physical therapy courses counted as my upper level biology courses towards my bio degree. I did not count these courses in my science GPA. Should I?

You are limiting yourself, and IMO orgo 2 and biochem 1 were absolutely critical for me to prep for the MCAT. I would take these courses if possible.

In general I think your timeline is too optimistic. You're basically on planning applying to med school in June after shadowing a few physicians since March? Adcoms are gonna want to know why you're switiching careers, and it's best to show that you know what you're getting into. Shadowing for a couple of months isn't a great way to substantiate this.

I get that you're getting older and want to start med school asap, but the number one mistake I hear people make on here is wanting to get their app in ASAP. I think a far better plan would be to take orgo 2 and biochem 1 at a local CC next spring semester, take the MCAT next summer, and continue to shadow and apply the following year. I don't mean to come off as demeaning, I hope you'll just take this perspective into consideration when deciding what to do.

Thank you for your honesty. I appreciate the feedback and the advice

OChem 2 is not needed for the MCAT. If you have 1 semester of Biochem and 1 semester of OChem, you'll be able to apply to any school. I would just take biochem, take the MCAT, apply. If you end up interviewing at a school that requires OChem 2, you can take it in the spring or summer before matriculating.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a NJ resident, my science GPA is 3.62. My cum is 3.72 and my DPT school GPA is 3.69. I calculated my science GPA using A as 4.0, A- as 3.7, B+ as 3.3, B as 3.0, B- as 2.7. Am I correct in calculating with these values? Also, I did a 3+3 program to get my DPT. During my senior year as an undergraduate, my first year physical therapy courses counted as my upper level biology courses towards my bio degree. I did not count these courses in my science GPA. Should I?

You're OOS for South Carolina and Calif, so the chances of admittance into UCLA, UCSD, and MUSC is highly unlikely. Even USC, which is private, tends to heavily favor instate students. Really, they're not even worth the waste of app fees.

As for your senior year grades, were those 4XX level courses? Or graduate level courses? Hopefully someone who knows how AMCAS considers the grades in a 3+3 program. When were you issued a BS degree? At the same time as the DPT or ever?

AMCAS has conversions for grades... go to link and scroll down for conversion link
Section 4 of the AMCAS® application: Course Work

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody,

Hey I came across your post and I am in a very similar situation. I had many of the same reservations and thoughts about the transition to medicine. I had to take some courses to fulfill the pre reqs and take the MCAT while I was working. I did a lot of research on my own and went straight to the source for many of my answers. I am a PT and am currently applying to Med school and have been accepted. If you have any questions from what courses to take, why I took them, how I studied for the mcat, how to efficently And successfully navigate the application process, or how to manage your PT schedule with the transition to Med school DM me. It was a challenge for me and I wish I had some help.
(I hope I’m posting this is the right area. This is my first post)

OChem on MCAT tends to focus on OChem 1 material and material from both semesters that intersects with biochem. I self studied for the MCAT and did not take biochem beforehand, and wound up scoring well. So while it would be helpful to take, it's not necessary for the MCAT, nor is it a prerequisite at most MD schools anymore. Also, every MCAT is different, they do everything they can to confound our expectations, so your test may or may not be biochem heavy.

Make sure you check into what you need in terms of non clinical community service and/or research experience. Every school views these slightly differently, and your case may be different bdcause of your background.

Yes,

I don't believe med schools wave the 2science/1nonscience letter requirement for people who have been out of school for a long time. Taking Orgo/Biochem would be an excellent way to get these letters (since more recent is preferred). Perhaps if you have a local school on the quarter system, you could take it during the winter quarter and keep up with your schedule?

Congratulations =D You're still young, you're 30! lol. It may seem like you are old, but it's all in your head. Age is just a number anyway! I commend you on striving for your dreams.

Your DPT and the x amount of years you have been in practice certainly is a plus in the admission cycle.

What is your cGPA? I assume it's high because Physical Therapy schools are extremely competitive.

Hey, I'm in a very similar situation. I've been a DPT since 2013 as well. I finally decided in November 2016 to pursue medicine. I only needed orgo 1 and 2 to complete prereqs. I immediately enrolled in orgo 1 at a local CC for spring 2017. I also started studying for the MCAT and signed up for the May 2017 test. I have not had biochem, but it would absolutely help.

I did pretty well on the MCAT, applied to one school, got an interview and was accepted last week. Now obviously, applying to one school is not ideal, but I love the school and it's where I live, and I didn't want to move (not the greatest way to gaurantee an acceptance, I know). Now, just have to take orgo 2 in the spring, prior to matriculation.

I would advise you to take your remaining prereqs for two main reasons: it gives you far more content knowledge for the MCAT (though orgo 1 is sufficient for that section), and it greatly broadens your school choice.

If you have any questions, pm me.

Hi everybody,

What you are thinking about is absolutely not worth it. IF you get in immediately, assuming you do well on the MCAT (also an IF), you will finish medschool at 34-35 (in medschool you will be subjected to things 30 year olds with professional degrees shouldn't have to tolerate, but you will be put through it), if you want to be an orthopedic surgeon (just guessing assuming your PT background), another 5 years of grueling hours at least. Best case scenario you finish residency at 40. All so you can find out medicine is just as limited by bureaucracy and bull**** as what you were trying to escape as a DPT. I haven't mentioned the cost of attendance, the money you lose out by not practicing as a DPT and potentially expanding your practice, and the extra time you could use to your own endeavors whether they be financial or personal and a self-employed DPT.

Consider these things VERY carefully.

How is the process going for you so far?

I’ve been regretting my decision of not going MD/DO since I graduated DPT in 2014. I met an ortho surgeon who did the DPT to MD route, though long process and after age of 30, she told me it was one of the best decisions she has ever made. She also told me having a DPT was very, very helpful. I have a DO friend in emergency med that thought it was a brilliant idea as well.

I started MCAT studying, have all the pre-reqs of OChem, biochem, Cal 1, which have been helpful for study. I even found my practice and upper level PT courses help me better learn and I can associate information with my patient cases . I hope you’re staying encouraged! I’m not really sure how this works either but I plan to figure out as I go.

I am planning to observe a lot over the next year, benefit of working in an outpatient setting connected to a hospital. My DO friend told me to also get as many community volunteer hours as you can, which will look great given your work load that you already have.

Hey I came across your post and I am in a very similar situation. I had many of the same reservations and thoughts about the transition to medicine. I had to take some courses to fulfill the pre reqs and take the MCAT while I was working. I did a lot of research on my own and went straight to the source for many of my answers. I am a PT and am currently applying to Med school and have been accepted. If you have any questions from what courses to take, why I took them, how I studied for the mcat, how to efficently And successfully navigate the application process, or how to manage your PT schedule with the transition to Med school DM me. It was a challenge for me and I wish I had some help.
(I hope I’m posting this is the right area. This is my first post)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write me back. I haven't checked this thread in such a long time but I am excited to see such positive feedback. I certainly will write to you with some questions as I am prepping my application to send at the end of the month. It is so encouraging to know that other people are going through the same process as I am. Congrats on getting into school!

OChem on MCAT tends to focus on OChem 1 material and material from both semesters that intersects with biochem. I self studied for the MCAT and did not take biochem beforehand, and wound up scoring well. So while it would be helpful to take, it's not necessary for the MCAT, nor is it a prerequisite at most MD schools anymore. Also, every MCAT is different, they do everything they can to confound our expectations, so your test may or may not be biochem heavy.

Make sure you check into what you need in terms of non clinical community service and/or research experience. Every school views these slightly differently, and your case may be different bdcause of your background.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for the great advice!

I don't believe med schools wave the 2science/1nonscience letter requirement for people who have been out of school for a long time. Taking Orgo/Biochem would be an excellent way to get these letters (since more recent is preferred). Perhaps if you have a local school on the quarter system, you could take it during the winter quarter and keep up with your schedule?

Thank you for taking the time to write to me. My letter situation fine so far but depending on what my MCAT score turns out to be I may end up taking biochem and/or orgo 2. I also may take these anyways before matriculation if I get an acceptance (an acceptance which requires me to take them prior to matriculation). Local school is a great idea

Thanks again for the help!

Congratulations =D You're still young, you're 30! lol. It may seem like you are old, but it's all in your head. Age is just a number anyway! I commend you on striving for your dreams.

Your DPT and the x amount of years you have been in practice certainly is a plus in the admission cycle.

What is your cGPA? I assume it's high because Physical Therapy schools are extremely competitive.

Thank you so much for writing me and I'm sorry it took so long to respond! I have to admit, I stayed away from this site due to some negative feedback but your message is so encouraging.

My cum GPA is 3.72, science is 3.67, and grad GPA is 3.69, first MCAT was a 506, 128/123/127/128. Dam CARS got me but not bad for a guy outta school since 2013. I do realize it has to be higher to be competitive. I have another MCAT score due on 5/22. I felt MUCH! better leaving the test center so I'm hoping the score reflects that.

Whatever happens, I'm going to work my tail off and do my best. My friends, family, PT colleagues, and former professors have all been extremely supportive. I'm going to make this a reality with hard work and persistence .

Thank you for more encouragement!

Hey, I'm in a very similar situation. I've been a DPT since 2013 as well. I finally decided in November 2016 to pursue medicine. I only needed orgo 1 and 2 to complete prereqs. I immediately enrolled in orgo 1 at a local CC for spring 2017. I also started studying for the MCAT and signed up for the May 2017 test. I have not had biochem, but it would absolutely help.

I did pretty well on the MCAT, applied to one school, got an interview and was accepted last week. Now obviously, applying to one school is not ideal, but I love the school and it's where I live, and I didn't want to move (not the greatest way to gaurantee an acceptance, I know). Now, just have to take orgo 2 in the spring, prior to matriculation.

I would advise you to take your remaining prereqs for two main reasons: it gives you far more content knowledge for the MCAT (though orgo 1 is sufficient for that section), and it greatly broadens your school choice.

If you have any questions, pm me.

Thank you so much for writing me and for sharing your story and congrats on being accepted! I also have a particular school that I am counting on based on location. It also doesn't require orgo 2 or biochem. I plan on applying there, and I am applying to other close schools who don't require the orgo 2 and/or biochem. I will apply to schools that require them too and I'll write in my app that I will take them prior to matriculation (like you).

That being said, If my MCAT isn't where I want it to be, I'll have to consider taking those courses and taking the test again, but we'll see. Test scores come out on 5/22. Wish me luck!

Thanks again

What you are thinking about is absolutely not worth it. IF you get in immediately, assuming you do well on the MCAT (also an IF), you will finish medschool at 34-35 (in medschool you will be subjected to things 30 year olds with professional degrees shouldn't have to tolerate, but you will be put through it), if you want to be an orthopedic surgeon (just guessing assuming your PT background), another 5 years of grueling hours at least. Best case scenario you finish residency at 40. All so you can find out medicine is just as limited by bureaucracy and bull**** as what you were trying to escape as a DPT. I haven't mentioned the cost of attendance, the money you lose out by not practicing as a DPT and potentially expanding your practice, and the extra time you could use to your own endeavors whether they be financial or personal and a self-employed DPT.

I respect your opinion. Med school and residency will not be easy, but it will be worth it. The negatives are greatly outweighed and can be mediated. This is a journey that my family and I are ready and willing to undertake. I can't wait to see where it goes

I’ve been regretting my decision of not going MD/DO since I graduated DPT in 2014. I met an ortho surgeon who did the DPT to MD route, though long process and after age of 30, she told me it was one of the best decisions she has ever made. She also told me having a DPT was very, very helpful. I have a DO friend in emergency med that thought it was a brilliant idea as well.

I started MCAT studying, have all the pre-reqs of OChem, biochem, Cal 1, which have been helpful for study. I even found my practice and upper level PT courses help me better learn and I can associate information with my patient cases . I hope you’re staying encouraged! I’m not really sure how this works either but I plan to figure out as I go.

I am planning to observe a lot over the next year, benefit of working in an outpatient setting connected to a hospital. My DO friend told me to also get as many community volunteer hours as you can, which will look great given your work load that you already have.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Things have been going well so far. I started studying for the MCAT all the way back in August. I took it in March and got a 506 128/123/127/128. I took it again in April and am waiting for the results. Fingers crossed Everybody has been very positive about the situation. I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon who I am close with and he thought it was a great idea. My told my my PT colleagues, bosses, and former professors and they were extremely supportive. Many of them are writing me letters.

Your plans sounds like a great idea. My advice would just be to make sure you take plenty of time to study for the MCAT. It's no joke. Don't listen to the naysayers. If this is what you want to do then do it. I do not regret my PT degree. It got me where I am now. I wouldn't have known back when I was 18-19 that I wanted to be a physician. Now I can say with true conviction that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. All my experiences will only help me in med school and beyond. It'll do the same for you

Please feel free to DM me

506 uhm.. I will recheck the thread again on 5/22. So what are you attributing the low CARS score to?

Hi! Just wondering how the process is going for you. I’m in a similar boat..graduated PT a year before you. Did you wind up having to retake prereqs? I was planning to apply for this cycle and I had an advisor tell me my prereqs were way too old (‘09, ‘10). I sorta gave up on applying for now, just felt very discouraged. I might retake some going forward it’s just going to prolong this so much! Would definitely appreciate your insight. :)

Years later, but I thank you for this. I'm a new PT struggling to decide if I want to go back and do med school mostly because I am limited in my scope of practice and lack of pay. The reality of health care is much different than what is taught at the undergrad/grad school level. With all those years I'd miss of practicing, plus the extra loans it would be challenging financially unless I go into a surgical field.