Is this a science or non-science LOR? (Psych professor teaching Behavioral Neuroscience & Cognitive Neuroscience classes offered by the Psych Dpt.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Psych major. I have a Psychology professor who I will have taken three classes with by the time I ask for the LOR: Behavioral Neuroscience; Cognitive Neuroscience; and Cognitive Neuroscience lab.

All of these are Biology-based enough that I plan to list them as BCPM on AMCAS even though they are Psychology courses.

However, this is a Psychology professor and these are all classes offered by the Psychology department and targeted towards Psych majors.

I have such a good relationship with this person that I hate not to ask for a LOR simply because it's up to interpretation whether it would be a science LOR or a non-science LOR.

What should I do? Is it the sort of thing where I should email schools I plan to apply to individually to ask?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I see a letter from a person with the title "professor of psychology" (or associate professor of. psychology.. etc) I will immediately assume that is a non-science letter and I'll be looking for two letters from professors of biology, chemistry, physics, or math. Every student takes at least 8 courses in these subject areas so getting two letters shouldn't be difficult. Use this excellent letter as your "non-science" and get two more from faculty in the departments covered by the acronym BCPM. No one can fault you if you do that.

Reactions: 2 users
If I see a letter from a person with the title "professor of psychology" (or associate professor of. psychology.. etc) I will immediately assume that is a non-science letter and I'll be looking for two letters from professors of biology, chemistry, physics, or math. Every student takes at least 8 courses in these subject areas so getting two letters shouldn't be difficult. Use this excellent letter as your "non-science" and get two more from faculty in the departments covered by the acronym BCPM. No one can fault you if you do that.

Thank you, LizzyM. I really appreciate your help. :) Have a nice rest of your day. :)