Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have seen some docs order 2 mg morphine pushes q whatever interval the floor nurses bother to check the patient at and no other symptoms management meds for terminal extubations and seen it take weeks for the patient to finally die. Apparently that is the legally preferred strategy? I call it torture for the patient and for the family.So some of you are ok with extubating someone *with the purpose of hastening their death* but are going to split hairs about the doses used to keep them comfortable while this death is happening? In case it speeds up their death?? Which is exactly what taking them off the vent does???
I just don't get the hand-wringing over the dose. The ethical dilemma here is academic and manufactured. Give me the big dose if it ever comes to that. And if you're worried that the dose might not be big enough, give me a bigger one. The only real failure here is if the dose is too small.