Ortiz trial begins Monday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope justice is served.

Also I have never wanted to be on a jury more. But if I ever got in it, the defense would throw me off faster than the speed of light.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have watched enough true crime tv to know, if the post mortem examination had not identified the bupivacaine in her system, it probably would be the husband’s trial that was starting instead. That is scary to consider.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I have watched enough true crime tv to know, if the post mortem examination had not identified the bupivacaine in her system, it probably would be the husband’s trial that was starting instead. That is scary to consider.
Still waiting to see if that plastic surgeon who operated on his wife who died during surgery will get charged.

Reactions: 1 users
Indeed. Her poor husband was thought to be a suspect by local police for a very long time. Anyone who knew the Kaspar’s would know how ridiculous that was… but police didn’t know… he was the only one there when it happened. I hope Ortiz is locked up for good. He’s a sick and dangerous man.
We miss Mel every day….

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I have no doubt that he did it, but using the terms of the legal world it seems like some of the evidence against him is circumstantial. I hope that there is enough evidence from internal investigations and his prior bad acts to overcome any weakness in the prosecution’s case.

Indeed. Her poor husband was thought to be a suspect by local police for a very long time. Anyone who knew the Kaspar’s would know how ridiculous that was… but police didn’t know… he was the only one there when it happened. I hope Ortiz is locked up for good. He’s a sick and dangerous man.
We miss Mel every day….
This is what people also say when indeed it’s the spouse who has offed the victim. Narcissists are great actors. I also watch a lot of crime shows on ID😊.

I’ll bet you my entire net worth that John Kaspar is completely innocent

Im sure you’re not talking to me, but I’m sure he is completely innocent. My only point was that he would have been in a precarious position with a suspicious death and him being the only one near. It is very fortuitous that the tox report was thorough.

I mean no one is disputing that since they caught the perp red handed on camera. All I am saying though is that the general public never really knows what’s going on inside peoples marriages. So when this happens and it’s the hubby, people are often so sur prized and make comments like “OMG, they looked so happy!” “He was her biggest supporter”. ETC.

He deserves the electric chair in my opinion.

Under Texas law, executions are carried out at or after 6:00 p.m. Huntsville (Central) time “by intravenous injection of a substance or substances in a lethal quantity sufficient to cause death, and until such convict is dead.”[53] The law does not specify the substance(s) to be used; previously, according to the TDCJ, the chemicals used for the lethal injection were the commonly-used three-drug combination of (in order): sodium thiopental (a dose which sedates the offender, but not enough to kill outright), pancuronium bromide (a muscle relaxant which collapses the diaphragm and lungs), and potassium chloride (which stops the heartbeat). The offender is usually pronounced dead approximately seven minutes after start of the injection process. The cost for the three substances is $86.08 per offender.[8] As a result of drug shortages, sodium thiopental was replaced by pentobarbital in 2011.[54] Further shortages of this drug have pushed the cost of the drugs to approximately $1300 per offender.[55] Still, further shortages of pancuronium bromide (and the expiration of the existing stock) forced the state into switching to a single-drug protocol, using solely pentobarbital.[56]

Under Texas law, executions are carried out at or after 6:00 p.m. Huntsville (Central) time “by intravenous injection of a substance or substances in a lethal quantity sufficient to cause death, and until such convict is dead.”[53] The law does not specify the substance(s) to be used; previously, according to the TDCJ, the chemicals used for the lethal injection were the commonly-used three-drug combination of (in order): sodium thiopental (a dose which sedates the offender, but not enough to kill outright), pancuronium bromide (a muscle relaxant which collapses the diaphragm and lungs), and potassium chloride (which stops the heartbeat). The offender is usually pronounced dead approximately seven minutes after start of the injection process. The cost for the three substances is $86.08 per offender.[8] As a result of drug shortages, sodium thiopental was replaced by pentobarbital in 2011.[54] Further shortages of this drug have pushed the cost of the drugs to approximately $1300 per offender.[55] Still, further shortages of pancuronium bromide (and the expiration of the existing stock) forced the state into switching to a single-drug protocol, using solely pentobarbital.[56]

Not a fan of execution but the obvious technique in this instance would be a few vials of bupiv 0.5%. Would be $5-10.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He’s a weirdo- he would probably like jail…

Probably wouldn’t burn in a 16g iv.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the video the only evidence they have against him?

As much as I would love to pile on, surely that’s not enough evidence to put someone away for life. You can imagine that an anesthesiologist has valid reasons to access the IV fluid warmer.

Think of all the other people in the facility who also access that fluid warmer..

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like there are people who hated him before anything happened!

What’s wrong with letting the justice system work its course?
Probably that the “justice system” is utter bull****. Look at how trump still walks free….
But old Ray won’t likely get any of the benefits that trump does. I’m sure they will be content to let him rot in custody indefinitely.

We all know the most effectient killers are floor nurses. Can we hire that girl who gave vecuronium instead of versed to that poor lady and got a slap on the wrist?

Tell her another patient needs versed, only 10 machine over-rides away.

Cost< $2. With the cost savings, buy her a coffee.

He murdered my partner and friend… I’ll admit my bias. I’d like to have faith in the justice system but I don’t.
Ortiz was a weird guy. He shot his neighbors dog bc said neighbor helped a girlfriend get away from him. Most of his ex’s had restraining orders against him. He was not a competent anesthesiologist - in fact he was an insult to the word anesthesiologist.
The systems Im supposed to have faith in should have kept him away from patients- he was incompetent - and apparently mentally ill

If Ortiz is found not guilty, because one juror held out and insisted there wasn't enough proof, will Ortiz be allowed to practice again? It's one thing to escape a murder conviction but another to be turned loose on society to kill again. He is a danger to others.

If Ortiz is found not guilty, because one juror held out and insisted there wasn't enough proof, will Ortiz be allowed to practice again? It's one thing to escape a murder conviction but another to be turned loose on society to kill again. He is a danger to others.
@amyl - do you know if there's already been action against his license? Blade's point is fair (as was Teacher2md's, about having only video of him near the bags as evidence) - the bar for murder conviction is high, but the state can do whatever TF they want against his license...

Even an incompetent and crazy anesthesiologist can make a lot of money in this market.

“Allgeyer also testified that investigators found that Ortiz was making $84,000 per month through his anesthesiologist consulting practice and received $3.2 million in disbursements over the course of three years.“

• Wow
@amyl - do you know if there's already been action against his license? Blade's point is fair (as was Teacher2md's, about having only video of him near the bags as evidence) - the bar for murder conviction is high, but the state can do whatever TF they want against his license...

License is “temporarily suspended” for the time being.

The court room is all a show.

Is facility also getting sued?

The other bigger issue is who were his “references”

One of my colleagues got reprimanded for giving a good reference to another former colleague (who’s really a horrible anesthesiologist). We all let things slide

The new facility (out of state) file medical complaint about the doc giving the reference. And he got a reprimand on his by the state for giving misleading reference. It’s all bs. We all try to help colleagues even bad ones.

So how did this doc keep getting privileged?

The court room is all a show.

Is facility also getting sued?

The other bigger issue is who were his “references”

One of my colleagues got reprimanded for giving a good reference to another former colleague (who’s really a horrible anesthesiologist). We all let things slide

The new facility (out of state) file medical complaint about the doc giving the reference. And he got a reprimand on his by the state for giving misleading reference. It’s all bs. We all try to help colleagues even bad ones.

So how did this doc keep getting privileged?
How on earth do you get reprimanded for a reference letter? Unless someone flat out lied, it’s an opinion, no?

You're such a softie!

Life in a 6x10 concrete box eating prison ramen for your special birthday meal sounds like a worse fate.

The sweet release of death is too good for people like this.
Sweet release? How do you know what death is like and whether it’s sweet. Jail cost tax payers too much money. Let them execute him the old fashioned way. Firing squad at the back of the jail.

Is it common to have video surveillance in OR corridors?
I thought it is common in lots of hallways in many hospitals. I see lots of cameras all over in my travels. In the OR, hallways everywhere

I thought it is common in lots of hallways in many hospitals. I see lots of cameras all over in my travels. In the OR, hallways everywhere

I could see cameras in the hallways. ORs are problematic unless the patients give consent.

Last edited:
Sweet release? How do you know what death is like and whether it’s sweet. Jail cost tax payers too much money. Let them execute him the old fashioned way. Firing squad at the back of the jail.
Well, I know exactly as much as any other living human on the planet. Some people delude themselves with imagined things that they think or hope might happen after death.

I don't believe in any fairy tales about post-death reward or punishment, so yeah, I think humanely executed people get off easily, compared to those that spend life in some miserable prison.

Assuming they're guilty, which they aren't, a disturbing percentage of the time. Which is another compelling argument against the death penalty. We suck when it comes to convicting only the guilty.

And firing squads are a delusional fantasy that won't ever happen, given the modern interpretation of "cruel and unusual" punishment, and you know it. You might as well advocate for them to get tossed out of helicopters, if you'd like to be even less serious about it.

To be even more clear, you should understand that I oppose the death penalty because it's impractical, dumb, and too kind
- more expensive than life in prison
- irreversible, and sometime wrong
- too generous to those actually guilty of capital crimes

Not out of any real sympathy to the guilty.

Well, I know exactly as much as any other living human on the planet. Some people delude themselves with imagined things that they think or hope might happen after death.

I don't believe in any fairy tales about post-death reward or punishment, so yeah, I think humanely executed people get off easily, compared to those that spend life in some miserable prison.

Assuming they're guilty, which they aren't, a disturbing percentage of the time. Which is another compelling argument against the death penalty. We suck when it comes to convicting only the guilty.

And firing squads are a delusional fantasy that won't ever happen, given the modern interpretation of "cruel and unusual" punishment, and you know it. You might as well advocate for them to get tossed out of helicopters, if you'd like to be even less serious about it.

To be even more clear, you should understand that I oppose the death penalty because it's impractical, dumb, and too kind
- more expensive than life in prison
- irreversible, and sometime wrong
- too generous to those actually guilty of capital crimes

Not out of any real sympathy to the guilty.
Your “sweet release” makes it sound like death is sweet. As if you know this and have been there.
It maybe not so sweet after all.

Is it common to have video surveillance in OR corridors?

I hope not. I don't steal anything but certainly have grabbed a lot of foleys/supplies for floor patients that i'm supposed to keep a meticulous log of.

My logs are sometimes not meticulous.

You do realize we spend more money to try to execute people then to keep them in jail?

Which is the dumbest **** ever. But may I ask, does keeping death row inmates in jail for years or even decades add to the cost? Because the drugs are cheap.

I don’t believe in the death penalty unless we are talking of situations like this. Video evidence guilty or mass shooters who are without a doubt guilty because they are usually bold with their crimes and chased down by cops or killed so that helps. Too many innocent people have been killed on death row otherwise.

Which is the dumbest **** ever. But may I ask, does keeping death row inmates in jail for years or even decades add to the cost? Because the drugs are cheap.

The cost of a capital trial and all the appeals is what costs so much. It's not the room and board during the trials.

I don’t believe in the death penalty unless we are talking of situations like this. Video evidence guilty or mass shooters who are without a doubt guilty

Try to keep in mind that every single person on death row who was later exonerated, was also thought to be "without a doubt guilty" by 12 people on a jury.

because they are usually bold with their crimes and chased down by cops or killed so that helps. Too many innocent people have been killed on death row otherwise.

You are >>>this<<< close to getting it.

• Haha
The cost of a capital trial and all the appeals is what costs so much. It's not the room and board during the trials.

Try to keep in mind that every single person on death row who was later exonerated, was also thought to be "without a doubt guilty" by 12 people on a jury.

You are >>>this<<< close to getting it.
I said with video evidence. And Mass shooters so far who haven’t offed themselves have been caught and all knew it was them who did it. Not ones where there was a doubt.
But if the trials and appeals for capital punishment cost more than keeping an inmate in for life well then keep them in for life.

Last edited:
Imagine if grifting was a death penalty offense in the USA.

Maybe we would have a lot more honest businessmen. Imagine Bernie Madoff, Elizabeth Holmes, Enron crooks and wall street bros given the electric chair or lethal injection. Their actions have ruined a lot of lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users