DR Rank list help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavendertea1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided on my top 3 (Duke, Michigan, and Brigham) but I am not sure about the order. I want to go into academia so I am looking for a program with lots of research opportunities beyond retrospective review. Having lived in a small town for so long, I want to go to a big urban area with more diversity. That said, in light of the unlikely situation that I would want to go into private practice in the future, would not having independent call at a program with lots of fellows limit my career options? I really liked Brigham other than that. I also have no ties to any particular area (no family or spouse). I would love to have some input since I have been going back and forth between these three programs for weeks now.

Members don't see this ad.

I have decided on my top 3 (Duke, Michigan, and Brigham) but I am not sure about the order. I want to go into academia so I am looking for a program with lots of research opportunities beyond retrospective review. Having lived in a small town for so long, I want to go to a big urban area with more diversity. That said, in light of the unlikely situation that I would want to go into private practice in the future, would not having independent call at a program with lots of fellows limit my career options? I really liked Brigham other than that. I also have no ties to any particular area (no family or spouse). I would love to have some input since I have been going back and forth between these three programs for weeks now.

I would put Brigham #1. It helps down the line to have the Harvard brand associated with you if you ever do practice building (hospital also like to advertise that their doc is Harvard/Columbia/Yale trained). Plus it’s the big city enviroment you are looking for.

1. Brigham
2. Duke
3. Michigan

Don't sweat the independent call thing. That can change at any place. Brigham name will go far for academics. Boston is the only real city of the three though the research triangle area in NC is plenty diverse. Even if you switch to private practice a big name like Brigham has good pull for networking. These three places all have tons of research so that's not an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it’s hard to go wrong with any of those places if you want academics. A plus for Duke is essentially having an automatic fellowship spot there (not that the other places won’t open doors). Ann Arbor is a college town, but I’ve heard it’s a nice place. Tobacco Road/NC research triangle is livable, but it’s not Boston.

I feel like the people that don’t match where they want tend to overthink the rank list. I think if you go into it with the attitude that you’ll be happy at your top 3, then you can’t be disappointed.

Good luck.

For me, I liked UMich>Duke>BWH, but let life circumstances dictate, you can't go wrong at any of them.

1. Brigham
2. Duke
3. Michigan

Don't sweat the independent call thing. That can change at any place. Brigham name will go far for academics. Boston is the only real city of the three though the research triangle area in NC is plenty diverse. Even if you switch to private practice a big name like Brigham has good pull for networking. These three places all have tons of research so that's not an issue.

Basically all are equivalent so you can't go wrong. Those three are in my top five ROL too.

Honestly, just pick based on location. They’re all top 10 prestigious programs...where do you want to live?