Rank List Question - Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyrusHabs7695

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, 4th year applying to DR, very interested in going the ESIR route to IR but didn't want to 100% commit out of med school to the categorical route. If I am debating between ranking program A ahead of B, how important is it that a program has an independent IR fellowship? For example, I really like both programs A and B, but would prefer A. The issue im having is that A does not have a fellowship and I would have to apply to the independent programs and risk possibly not getting a spot, versus program B who has the fellowship program and feel like it would not be that difficult to just continue on there and not run the risk of not matching fellowship.

How much weight, if any, should I put on this? Thank you guys for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that IR fellowships are not terribly competitive

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly think it's better to leave to another place for fellowship. More opportunity to broaden learning. Also no fellows at your institution whilst you are a resident so you get to be primary operator on most cases.

In regards to above, IR is much less competitive via ESIR > Independent route than the integrated route, however, it does remain competitive with more applicants that slots. Last data I checked, it's around 200 applicants for 140-150 spots.

Reactions: 2 users