Drake University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lbrinn07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here go to Drake or have any advice about the school? It seems to have a good program and I like the guarantee part of it, but i don't know about the town and size. I got into the 6 year program out of high school.

Members don't see this ad.

I went there looking at the school as a transfer student and was treated like a complete idiot. The town, school, and bars are junky..but the people were really friendly and did have a good time with them and my friend beer.

Hey,
I went to Drake my freshmen year as a pre-pharmacy student. I loved the guarantee of getting in.. but Drake wasn't for me (I am now at the University of Iowa). I think it all depends on your background. If you're from a small town, you'd probably like it. Or if you're planning on joining a frat/sorority, you'd have fun. But, I'm from Des Moines and Drake was a little too small for me. It's nice in that you start to recognize everyone in your classes.. but I just wanted a bigger school. To sum up, Drake's a small school so you get decently small classes and start to know everyone. Most people join a frat/sorority or spend a lot of time at the 2 or 3 bars that are close to campus. It takes 5 minutes to get from one side of campus to another. But if you want the guarantee of getting in to pharmacy school, it's a great program.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is my dilemma. I like the guarantee part, but I don't like how small it is. Im afraid I might get bored a lot, but that might make me study more and get better grades.

I am a student at Drake right now. I really like it here, and Drake is a good school for me. Pharmacy is the largest program here, I belive that 1/5 of the students are in the College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Here are a few things about what it's like:

-As it was already mentioned, frats and sororities, along with the bars are huge here. However, there are also plenty of people who don't join them and/or don't go out to the bars. I had no problem meeting friends who weren't big on frat parties. Plenty of pharmacy students here are, though. Drake has two professional pharmacy fraternities (Phi Delta Chi and Kappa Psi) that are also popular.
-If you are into parties, but not fraternity or sorority parties, then you're out of luck. My roommate is transferring to U of I after this semester partly because she loves to party, but there's not a lot of parties outside of Greek parties or going to the bar.
-A lot of the people here are from bigger cities and think Des Moines is tiny, and there are also a lot of people who are from small towns and think Des Moines is huge. Des Moines is a little smaller than Minneapolis (and there's no St. Paul here, so it's definitely smaller than the Twin Cities). Most people end up thinking there is enough to do here unless they are from a really big city.
-Drake is not in the nicest neighborhood - it is different than what most students here are used to, but the campus is safe...it's really only a problem if you wander off campus alone, especially at night.
-I like the size of the campus because it is easy to get everywhere and you have no problem getting to your classes if you have one after another. Some of my friends at other schools need to take buses to get from chemistry to art class (or whatever), and I'd rather not do that! I also like it because I like getting to know people in my class, but it is big enough that you won't know everyone.
-People switch majors from pre-pharmacy to other things such as business fairly quickly. Others who decide not to continue with pharmacy transfer schools because pharmacy is why they came here. First year classes are not too difficult if you do your work and put effort into them. If you don't, though, it is hard to get by.
-There is enough work to do that you won't have a huge amount of free time, and when you do, there is usually enough to do. We just hang out in friends' rooms a lot, work out at the Bell center, and occasionally go out during the week. On the weekends, there are enough restaurants, malls, and things to. It does get pretty empty on weekends, though, because a lot of people go home or have weekend jobs.

I hope this helped...Good luck choosing a college! :)

I agree w/ pharmdarling. There are a lot of perks to Drake. For me, I decided early on in the year that I wasn't going to come back to Drake, so during the spring semester, I didn't spend much time going out or making an effort to make a lot of friends. I suggest visiting Drake and checking out the campus. It's really nice and now that I'm at Iowa, I've come to appreciate Drake for having classes 2 or 3 minutes away! (not a 10 minute bus ride!) You'll have a lot of work to do for classes, so that'll keep you busy. Des Moines offers some good stuff to do on the weekends, and West Des Moines is really nice. Most people don't know what they really want in a college until they are a freshmen... For me, it was all just a little too close to home and I decided I wanted a bigger campus. But I still think Drake is a great school and that you need to go and check it out for yourself to get a feel for the campus/school and the people there.

I got a letter in the mail from Drake for interview, probably not going.
Anyone else?
firs thread this year cycle for Drake.

i just got a letter from drake..
not gonna go interview..

Growing up I lived for a few years in a very small town about 30 miles from Des Moines, so have been there many times. I don't know a lot about Drake, but I do know that smaller schools have their perks. :thumbup: My school in Kansas has around 7,000 students and it doesn't take long to get around. The biggest issue I have with Drake is simply how crummy the area it is in is. If you haven't been there do visit and make sure you are comfortable with it. I don't know what the whole campus looks like, but from what I've seen I'm not real thrilled with it. Which is one reason it's not on my list. I need to feel comfortable with things like that and Drake is positioned in a crappy area of Des Moines. Good luck on your decision whatever you decide! :)