Dreadlocks + interview= disaster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coronaradiata

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have recently been granted an interview (with a Caribbean school, if that matters) and I am a little bit undecided as to what to do with my hair. I'm a Black female, btw.

I have some facial jewelery which I already know will have to come out (brow and nose ring. Will flip my septum piercing up and hide it.) But my big issue is my hair...I'm currently rockin' some short dreads (short as in above my neck). As much as I want to wear my hair as is for my interview, I know that it may not be acceptable. I do have some very, VERY natural looking wigs that I am willing to wear for the interview, but if I were to get accepted, I would not wear the wigs at school. No. way.

So, I'm asking..should I just go to the interview and "be me", since that's what they would see everyday on their campus? Or for the sake of the interview, should I completely "clean up" my image and wear the conservative straight haired wig?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If its a Caribbean school then I would assume you would not be the first person with dreadlocks they have seen. I would just look professional instead of trying to be someone you are not. I'm a guy but I know that I have a good friend who works at Harvard who has dreadlocks as well...and she's a math professor;she's had them before she got the job there. I say this for the fact that hair style should not matter since all cultures have their own. If they are looking for someone base upon looks I don't think you would want to go there. Just my opinion. Remember I'm a guy so just wait till another female replies before you take my advice ( lol ).

Hello everyone!

I have recently been granted an interview (with a Caribbean school, if that matters) and I am a little bit undecided as to what to do with my hair. I'm a Black female, btw.

I have some facial jewelery which I already know will have to come out (brow and nose ring. Will flip my septum piercing up and hide it.) But my big issue is my hair...I'm currently rockin' some short dreads (short as in above my neck). As much as I want to wear my hair as is for my interview, I know that it may not be acceptable. I do have some very, VERY natural looking wigs that I am willing to wear for the interview, but if I were to get accepted, I would not wear the wigs at school. No. way.

So, I'm asking..should I just go to the interview and "be me", since that's what they would see everyday on their campus? Or for the sake of the interview, should I completely "clean up" my image and wear the conservative straight haired wig?

Thanks!

My guess is that the wig will look kind of "fake". As the previous poster said, "Be yourself" because that's the person you are best at being. I'm Jamaican and would rather see well-groomed locks than a wig (or any fake hair/weave that matter).

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I would expect a predominantly white U.S school, to be uncomfortable with your hair as it does not conform with the norm and may imply that you have a rebellious character. Furthermore, to many, dreads are directly linked to Bob, who has a notorious reputation for smoking marijuana and revolting the Man. Because of the location and culture of Caribbean schools, you should not be affected by these stereotypes.

Rock your locks with pride!

Maybe just pin back the pieces around your face so it looks a little neater?

I think it's a bit extreme to say wearing dreads to an interview will be viewed as having a rebellious character... I think the key is professionalism - just make sure they're neat and there should be no problem. I saw people on the interview trail sporting all types of hair styles, but they all managed to make it look kempt. I agree with illegallysmooth (btw, luv that name!) - play around with pinning back the pieces around the face.

ps - I'm a female and I second Oncoloman's thoughts. Also, one of my interviewers had dreads and she holds a prominent position at that medical school. You'll be fine!

I think it's a bit extreme to say wearing dreads to an interview will be viewed as having a rebellious character

I reason that people who are not familiar with dreads, subconsciously allow the media to inform them about the character and behaviour of dreads. These images are inaccurate and tend to be woven into negative stereotypes of rastas/dreads. The other types of dreads we see on tv and in western society are white kids who have adopted, or at least are experimenting with an alternative lifestyle. Once these kids are ready to enter the corporate world, they conform, and often lock off their dreads. I doubt that the OPs dreads will impact her chances of gaining admission to a Carribean school because people there are more likely to interact with other people who wear dreads and know that the stereotypes are just that, stereotypes.

People underestimate the subliminal message that hair may project to those who are around us. This may be off topic but has anyone noticed how the hair style of the obama girls changed pre and post Presidential elections...we see them less and less with braids and more with ringlets/straight hair. The image that these girls project is well calculated. Sorry for the tangent, we had a long discussion about hair and society in one of my classes. Since then, I've become more aware of how something as simple as hair affects how others judge us.

I am going to be honest with you. I recently went natural about 8 months ago and I was very concerned about my interviews for dental school. I asked all my friends if they thought I should wear my natural nappy curls or a nice straight wig. I got such mixed feedback. The first interview I went ahead and wore the wig...I will be attending this school in the fall as the only black female in my class of about 105 (maybe theres one more, but he/she wasn't at the welcome reception. The second school I had got my hair braided...I got accepeted here as well. When I went to the welcome reception for first school with my hair still braided, the first thing the adminstrative person said to me was, "Oh, your hair is different". I think it will really be interesting when school starts in August and I'm wearing my natural! The point is, I see where you are coming from. I say, go how you feel most comfortable. If you really think it will matter, where your straight hair, if not then rock your dreads. Just be comfortable and shine!

Dr. Reese,

Thank you. I'm getting mixed feedback on my question too. As for those who think the wig is fake, no the wig looks quite natural in fact. I wouldn't wear a wig that truly *looked* like a wig.

Its such a toss up because as a Black female, wearing your hair natural still isn't looked upon in the most favorable light by other people or even our own. I LOVE my dreads. Again, let me repeat, I LOVE my dreads. I love letting my hair do what it wants. I put dreads in my hair to escape some of the stress that comes along with always "having to get my hair done", but at the same time, its causing me a lot of stress right now because I'm not sure of how I should present myself to some random AdCom who will, in fact, be judging me on everything including appearance.

Right now, I think I'm going to rock my dreads and let the chips fall where they may. Med school is hard, and so is the application process. The last thing I want to do is start gambling away bits of myself to make all of this work. I've done that enough already to get where I am now...Gotta draw the line somewhere. I must maintain my autonomy for as long as I can! :D

Sankara,

Good point about the Obama girls. I enjoyed seeing them with twists and braids, but yeah...now its all straight hair, be it press and curl or perm. :( It makes me sad that something as trivial as hair means so much to so many people. However, I will say that...I do have a rebellious character. So does my hair, which is why its in dreads to begin with. LOL! But I didn't do my hair this way because of that. I did it because its far less stressful for me to take care of my hair now, versus trying to pony up hundreds of dollars each month to keep my perm looking sharp. Ugh.

I reason that people who are not familiar with dreads, subconsciously allow the media to inform them about the character and behaviour of dreads. These images are inaccurate and tend to be woven into negative stereotypes of rastas/dreads. The other types of dreads we see on tv and in western society are white kids who have adopted, or at least are experimenting with an alternative lifestyle. Once these kids are ready to enter the corporate world, they conform, and often lock off their dreads. I doubt that the OPs dreads will impact her chances of gaining admission to a Carribean school because people there are more likely to interact with other people who wear dreads and know that the stereotypes are just that, stereotypes.

People underestimate the subliminal message that hair may project to those who are around us. This may be off topic but has anyone noticed how the hair style of the obama girls changed pre and post Presidential elections...we see them less and less with braids and more with ringlets/straight hair. The image that these girls project is well calculated. Sorry for the tangent, we had a long discussion about hair and society in one of my classes. Since then, I've become more aware of how something as simple as hair affects how others judge us.

njbmd,

I think its funny that you specifically said you prefer well groomed locks over fake hair. I'm also in this camp, but I will also say that I'm actually more partial to semi-free form and free formed locks than highly manicured ones. I don't know how to quite describe my own hair, its somewhere in between free form and manicured. I would prefer to let them do their own thing and intervene for maintenance as little as possible (other than washing and moisturizing) and I hope to get to the point one day where I can do that. What do you think of head wraps/scarves to cover ones hair? Do you think they could look professional? Depending on what specialty one chooses, do you think wearing a (non religious) headwrap would be problematic for a Black female doctor? (obviously this question doesn't apply to those who are surgeons/have to go into the OR) I've seen Black women wear GORGEOUS head wraps at their jobs, however none of them were doctors. :(

My guess is that the wig will look kind of "fake". As the previous poster said, "Be yourself" because that's the person you are best at being. I'm Jamaican and would rather see well-groomed locks than a wig (or any fake hair/weave that matter).

One of my good friends, also an african american female, is currently attending medical school and got in despite her multiple lip rings, eyebrow ring and tattoos visible on her neck, arms and hands.
Be yourself.

And I'm probably in the minority of white Irish females who associate dreads with their family members (one of my uncles is black) and friends instead of Marley, Jimmy Cliff or other musicians. Dreads, when maintained, are pretty and neat looking.

(PS- I've always been jealous of my black friends who have choices about how to wear their hair (up, down, natural, relaxed, weave, beaded, dreaded etc). My hair is completely straight strawberry blonde. It won't hold a curl for longer than an hour and even when I tried to dye my hair, the color didn't stick.)

Last edited:
When I was a resident, there was a med student at Duke who had so many facial piercings I called her "the pierced girl" - she had so many, it actually was distracting to me. She got into Duke looking like that. However, one day, she came in and they all were out. Why? She said that the 2 year old for whom she babysat said they were "ugly"...from the mouths of babes...

On the other hand, way back when I was a student, there was another student, a black male, with a just amazing set of dreads. He was well-spoken, very intelligent, and quite a down to earth fellow. He acquitted himself above reproach, and matched into a very high-powered residency (I am hesitant to say where or in what field, so as to maintain his anonymity).

A final anecdote - a fellow a year behind me in residency, also a black male, has visible tats on both arms and earrings in both ears. He became faculty after graduating.

In the end I chose to wear my hair out. I tightened my locs up earlier in the week so they looked a bit neater (I do not wear highly maintained locs. No desire to.) and I wore a flower in my hair as an accessory, which matched my suit. I don't think my interviewer cared. If she did, she showed no signs of it. :)

Here's to hoping for an acceptance! hahahaha!

I know this is late and you made your choice and all, but as a natural headed black woman, I wanted to add my support to your decision. I recall when I went natural 6 years ago and the fear I had about perception and the anxiety I felt at job interviews at businesses with management who had never seen hair like mine. I recall the questions, "How do you get it so curly? That must take you hours!" And the comments from other people when I voiced my concerns, "Well, as long as you keep it washed..." as if I didn't on a regular basis. And then one day, this wave of confidence fell over me and I loved my hair and what it meant and suddenly everyone else seemed to love it as well and admire it. I still get the rouge comment here and there, and thats okay, its just a chance to educate. But it saddened me when I realized there was this stigma that natural hair (and locs) are unprofessional by default. I disagree with that stigma and again, am VERY glad that you wore your hair as you do everyday, and with pride. Its all about confidence. ;)

Flowers and scarfs are always a nice add though. :D

I hope you get in. :xf:

how would you feel if you went into an ER to get treatment for a life-threatening emergency and your physician was a white guy with cornrows and earrings. chew on that for a while.