Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KauaiGirl13

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive been doing alittle bit of searching in the archives for dress codes. i have read that certain places have very strict dress codes, while others dont. what does everyone's college require?? do they make you dress up everyday? only for rotations? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

We have to wear our UF polo shirts and khaki slacks for community health screenings & "keeping families healthy". If we are doing practicum at a pharmacy or hospital we have to wear our lab coats. During class we can wear whatever we want.

We have to dress up for lab and for any public events - guys have to wear a shirt and tie and dress slacks, girls - dress pants or knee-length skirts (supposedly), no open toed shoes, etc and our lab coats. On the rest of the days - we slum it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent question! I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I would really like to know if anyone's pharmacy school (their lab, basically, since thats what most people have to dress up for) has any restrictions regarding something like a guy with ear piercings? I don't have my ears pierced but the thought had crossed my mind, but I didn't want to do it if there would be an issue with school come fall.

When I interviewed at Campbell last year, they said that you could not have any visible piercings or tattoos. This was for any class, not just lab.

Campbell is a really conservative, Christian school. All my friends who go there are really religious. I still don't get why their pharmacy school requires the religion class as a prerequisite. What does that class have to do with pharmacy? :confused:

private schools can do whatever they want.

we have a dress code and it is a values violation if you don't follow it.

now do they enforce it? no but during orentation they do tell you about it and everyone gets all upset and then the assistant dean has to say... yes we want you to follow the dress code (she is required to say that) but look around.

we wear whatever we want within reason, if a professor has a problem with what you are wearing (more than likely you are breaking the dresscode since it is VERY VERY VERY strict) then they can ask you to change.
We dress up for presentations and the dresscode for rotations is very strict and they do enforce that.

I've heard that auburn enforces their dresscode

Dress nicely the first few days of class and you'll figure it out.

rxRyan said:
Excellent question! I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I would really like to know if anyone's pharmacy school (their lab, basically, since thats what most people have to dress up for) has any restrictions regarding something like a guy with ear piercings? I don't have my ears pierced but the thought had crossed my mind, but I didn't want to do it if there would be an issue with school come fall.

It probably depends on the school. Midwestern allows tattoos and piercings for class and labs, but for rotations - that might be a different story. A couple of students that go to CPG have very visible tattoos and piercings. As long as you can cover up tattoos and take out piercings, it shouldn't cause a problem.

AmandaRxs said:
It probably depends on the school. Midwestern allows tattoos and piercings for class and labs, but for rotations - that might be a different story. A couple of students that go to CPG have very visible tattoos and piercings. As long as you can cover up tattoos and take out piercings, it shouldn't cause a problem.

From walking around during the interview, it seemed that CPG is very laid-back and informal as far as dress goes. Help a fella out though. What would be appropriate attire during the 3 days of orientation in August? (I don't want to be the geek in a shirt and tie in 110-degree weather, when everyone else is in t-shirts and shorts... and vice versa, I don't want to be very underdressed either. )

Campbell isn't quite as religious as you might imagine. There are certainly people there that are, but not all. I know I've spent a few nights at the Kappa Psi house there :eek:

I can tell you that the dress code is enforced at Campbell. It's intended to create a professional environment and get students used to dressing nicely on a day in and day out basis. If Auburn has a dress code, then that might explain why Campbell does too, as the Dean at CU went to Auburn for Rx school. I know at first the students aren't thrilled about the dress code, but I think it grows on them.

I'm not sure about piercings or tattoos, I don't know of anybody in our class that has any! I can tell you that we get points deducted from our lab grades if we don't have on the appropriate attire that day. I think it's a good thing to have a dress code because it the working world, chances are you will have one. It does seem to foster a sense of professionalism as well.

pharmaz88 said:
From walking around during the interview, it seemed that CPG is very laid-back and informal as far as dress goes. Help a fella out though. What would be appropriate attire during the 3 days of orientation in August? (I don't want to be the geek in a shirt and tie in 110-degree weather, when everyone else is in t-shirts and shorts... and vice versa, I don't want to be very underdressed either. )
Wear a T-shirt, it's not formal at all. Prepare to be bored to tears. One important point is that you'll get your ID picture taken on one of those days, so comb your hair. ;) Welcome aboard!

Sorry, kind of a dumb question but what would be appropriate attire for lab days?

AmandaRxs said:
Wear a T-shirt, it's not formal at all. Prepare to be bored to tears. One important point is that you'll get your ID picture taken on one of those days, so comb your hair. ;) Welcome aboard!

LOL... I keep my head shaved down to a #1 all the time, so no worries there!

Thanks for the reply!

I don't remember if my school had a dress code or not for class. :confused: However, there was definitely an unwritten dress code. How do I know this? I lived in shorts and a T-shirt (not the SAME ones every day, of course), and this was apparently too casual.

When I was on my rotations, I nearly always wore a skirt with hose and closed-toed shoes, because that was the dress code. But I noticed that my fellow students were much more casual. One even showed up to our rotation site in frayed blue jeans. Granted, it was a weekend, but that definitely would have gotten her into trouble had anyone from the school seen her. In fact, one of my preceptors (who'd gone to my school) told me he'd been sent home one day for not wearing socks with his loafers. Now THAT's conservative.

I don't want to dress like a grown-up! Give me jeans, adidas, and a T-shirt anyday (of course that's why people think I'm 18)! :p Button-up collar shirts and shoes with heels are so uncomfortable. After my interview I was walking around the airport in a skirt suit and barefoot cuz my feet hurt so bad. :laugh:

Well at least you wouldn't have any problem going through security sans shoes!

I have so much "teacher clothes" that I'll probably end up dressing up most of the time. I'm used to it.